Longest, confident approach shot..

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

This goes somewhere along with the thread about why lower handicappers are lower.

I was once asked, by a very good golfer, what club is the longest one which I am confident will hit the green more often then not?

For me it's a 5 iron.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
A bit more complicated for me. My iron play is the weakest part of my game at the moment. I'm pretty confident of hitting a green with my 5 wood but, with irons, 7 iron is the longest where I really expect to hit the green.

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Probably an 8. Anything around/over the 150 mark i am just looking to get near the green and away from trouble. If I have a 150 approach with water just short of the green I normally lay up.

Probably too conservative, but I am still working on my confidence!

BeachGolfer

Head Pro
Visit site
After reading that Walter Hagen reckoned that he hit only two perfect shots per round, I've been satisfied if:

2,3 & 4 iron - anywhere on the green
5,6 & 7 iron - correct half of the green
8,9 & wedges - correct quarter of the green

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
5 iron for me too. Sadly im more likely to hit the green with a 5 iron from like 170 yards than from about 50 yards with any kind wedge. Hence the reason ive been practicing my short game loads!! :eek:

A

Alex1975

I expect and believe that every shot I play at a green will hit it, no matter the club but I would say that its more likely that its an 8 iron and down that is going to. Ill keep believing.

matts1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me probably an 8 iron around 140 yards. It seems at the moment I am struggling to get on the green with my 7. But at the driving range I hit my 7 straight and long everytime. More work needed I think

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same as Fairway dodger funnily enough, though clearly not at his h/c! More confident with my 5 wood then 5 iron!

I feel like I'm only learning my trade, the comment by Beach Golfer reminds me that I don't see the target same as good guys, and will try in my next round to apply this.

Confidence wise 150/7iron I should be on, 6 on a good day

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Driver. Last Sunday in a gale, downwind 380 to the green, finished just short. Oh yes I did, and have witnesses. Five putts later, the ball was in.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd have to say anything from the 3 hybrid up. I could say 3 wood but as our par 5's are out of reach in two rarely go for them unless stuffed up off the tee and it's my third shot.

D

Deleted Member 1156

5 iron for me too. Sadly im more likely to hit the green with a 5 iron from like 170 yards than from about 50 yards with any kind wedge. Hence the reason ive been practicing my short game loads!! :eek:

Exactly the same for me, the further from the green the more likely I am to hit a (relatively) good shot. My short game is appalling!! I'm completely comfortable hitting woods and long irons into the green if required. As soon as it becomes less than a full shot, I'm in trouble :confused:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd like to say I feel confident with every club in the bag. Certainly I have no qualms pulling a 4 iron, hybrid or fairway wood and taking the shot on with a degree of confidence in my ability to at least get close to the green. With a mid iron (5-7) I'd be happy to get it on more often than not. With shorter irons (8-PW) I'd be wanting to hit every green (not possible but the plan at least) and get it within 15-20 feet (again not possible all the time).