Long iron with help recommendations

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
SDC11392.JPG

Ram Laser FX Forged, Wilson Staff Fluid Feel, Powerbilt Oversize (1 and 2), Forgan Powerpakt, Dunlop Maxfli Original Blade.

I use a driver and 16d and 20d hybrids. Irons are Ping 3-PW. When I'm in the mood, I ditch the 20d hybrid in favour of one of the above. The Powerbilt 2 is the usual favourite.
Current HI is 3.7, but I'm losing my best score tomorrow and worst case scenario is that I go to 4.1.

D

Deleted member 1147

Any of the hollow headed long irons should help. They give a boost if the contact isn't great. I use my Mizzy Mp-20 HMB 4 iron as my escape club, because I'm confident of decent hit.

Other alternatives are the Pingi500 or it's new version, Titleist T-MB etc

RichA

Visit site
I'm a mid-high handicap hybrid hater.
Might be below what you're thinking of, but Ping G425 4-iron would be a piece of cake for a decent ball striker to get out there. Only a sniff over £100 new in whatever spec you want. Standard loft is 20.5° but optional power loft is 19°, so an old money 2-iron but with GI forgiveness.
I'm inconsistent, but when I hit a good'un it's where I'd dream of being able to hit a fairway wood.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I know its a bit of an "out there" idea but you could look to find a set of "strong lofted" cavity back irons and then purchase the 4 iron of those?

Best example I could give is the Wilson D9 4 iron - It has 18 degrees of loft so would go a decent distance, have a tad more forgiveness than your standard irons as theyre cavity backs and its not a hybrid!

D

Deleted member 29109

I had a G400 4 iron that was super easy to hit, however it flew a bit too high and spun too much for what I wanted.

I’ve now got an i500 which has a nice penetrating flight with less spin.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the problems you might find is that the very forgiving irons are designed for mid to high handicap and have a lot of offset. I have a 3 nad 4 iron from an old Nicklaus set which I used to think were great. The 4 iron still gets the occasional run out and I find it a bit hard to get used to the offset compared to my mid to low handicap clubs.

Older clubs to look out for for maybe the something in the TaylorMade Tour Preferred range.

D

Deleted member 18121

One of the problems you might find is that the very forgiving irons are designed for mid to high handicap and have a lot of offset. .

This is a HUGE issue for me... I cannot stand looking down at offset clubs, so I'll be sure to look at that.

I've just got home from a round at royal ashdown and hit a mates Callaway apex utility irons all day..... It's 100% the right step for me to go back to irons, I hit them so nicely, shaped them, hit stinger/punches when I wanted.... It's amazing what confidence can do for your game.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I’ve got a z765 3iron with a 1iron shaft in it as I can’t stand hybrids.

Then it’s 4-lw

I’ve also got a 7 wood with the same loft as the “3” iron but this is for fairway use

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try a Titliest T-MB 3 & 4. Easy to hit, and good ball flight.

This (plus the other poster that recommended them).

I don’t know what the latest models are called but I have the T-MB 3 and 4 irons from about 4 or 5 years ago. Stupid easy to use (imo) and they don’t look at all chunky at address.

I believe the 3 is 21 degrees and the 4 is 24.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Check out Adams dhy super proto. They are iron like hybrids. Probably the last great club Adam's made before being bought over by taylormade.

They are aimed at low to mid handicaps. I use a 16 degree one as a driving iron. Weapon when it's on song.
Can definitely recomend these for those that prefer irons, but want a bit of forgiveness.
Not enough forgiveness for me, so I stuck with XTDs

D

Deleted member 18121

I ended up going with GAPR MID 3 & 4 irons...played with them today. Amazing how putting an iron back in my hands improves my confidence and my play..... A couple of TSI hybrids will soon be on eBay!