Long iron/crossover recommendations

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I struggle to hit my fairway wood and hybrid, tried a few recently and just can’t hit them consistently. However, I hit my irons fairly ok.

Because of this I have a big gap between driver and 5i (21.5 degree loft TM M2) which I hit around 190-200. Could really do with something to break through the 200 yard mark.

Been debating getting a 3 or 4 iron in the same range, or trying one of those crossover/driving irons.

I’m looking at second hand, happy to spend £50-80. Any recommendations?

Hcp is 19 and all my shafts are regular.

What's your clubhead speed? If it's less than 80-85mph with the 6 iron I'd not bother with a utility and get lessons with the fw or hybrids.
Divide your average distance by 2.3 and it'll give your club head speed. I hit my 6 iron around 186 yards (carry) and it works out at 80.8mph with my 6 iron.

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's your clubhead speed? If it's less than 80-85mph with the 6 iron I'd not bother with a utility and get lessons with the fw or hybrids.
Divide your average distance by 2.3 and it'll give your club head speed. I hit my 6 iron around 186 yards (carry) and it works out at 80.8mph with my 6 iron.
Is that a conventional loft as my lofts are weaker than distance irons ..

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mine is 28degrees std but I think they gave it more to blend with my 34 degree 7 iron.
My distance is around 175-180 so I might have enough speed for a crossover

Yeah generally speaking you'd be fine with a UT/Crossover. Try one and see if it's good for you.

RichA

Visit site
I got the G400 4 crossover as a driver replacement, as I was really struggling. It's easy and reliable off the tee. I'm not a big hitter but was getting 220 yards, concentrating on good strikes rather than big hits. I struggled with it off the grass.
In the last couple of weeks, the driver is suddenly working and I've been trying to use the crossover more for fairway and light rough shots. Hitting down hard on it is suddenly working way better than my hybrid and 4 wood. Stinging 200 yard fairway shots are quite rewarding for a 20-something handicap duffer. A decent golfer will probably think it feels almost like cheating.
My only slight concern with the G400 are what look like a few tiny rust spots showing on the face. It's only 6 months old.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah generally speaking you'd be fine with a UT/Crossover. Try one and see if it's good for you.
Yeah I was looking at the specs, there a good few shaft options as well and I could go light which will give me some speed.
I have 2 top end spaces in my bag as I don’t carry a 3 wood or a 3 iron replacement... one could be a 2 iron which is just off the tee and the other is something that sits at 3/4 iron ..
As this are more about filling gaps they really need to be fitted in my opinion so I will ask our pro if he has the full range to test.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got the G400 4 crossover as a driver replacement, as I was really struggling. It's easy and reliable off the tee. I'm not a big hitter but was getting 220 yards, concentrating on good strikes rather than big hits. I struggled with it off the grass.
In the last couple of weeks, the driver is suddenly working and I've been trying to use the crossover more for fairway and light rough shots. Hitting down hard on it is suddenly working way better than my hybrid and 4 wood. Stinging 200 yard fairway shots are quite rewarding for a 20-something handicap duffer. A decent golfer will probably think it feels almost like cheating.
My only slight concern with the G400 are what look like a few tiny rust spots showing on the face. It's only 6 months old.
Sounds good, nice to have that “magic” go to club on the long or into a stiff wind shots :)
Try a bit of wet tin foil on the rust spots .. might sort it out

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a 4 (22°) G400 in reg you can have for £75 posted. It’s only 3 months old. I did lose the headcover tho*

*should irons even have a headcover? ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Those numbers look off to me. 6 iron is usually about 85% of driver speed, so I rather doubt that if you only have a driver speed of 95 or 96 but can hit a 186 6 iron. I would assume your 6 iron speed is closer to 90, and your driver is more like 250-260 carry.

I haven't had my 6 iron speed measured for a few years, but last time I used the Mizuno Optimiser it was 85 or 86 mph (may have been a 7 iron, can't remember) and I carry my 7 about 155, 6 iron 165-ish.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Those numbers look off to me. 6 iron is usually about 85% of driver speed, so I rather doubt that if you only have a driver speed of 95 or 96 but can hit a 186 6 iron. I would assume your 6 iron speed is closer to 90, and your driver is more like 250-260 carry.

I haven't had my 6 iron speed measured for a few years, but last time I used the Mizuno Optimiser it was 85 or 86 mph (may have been a 7 iron, can't remember) and I carry my 7 about 155, 6 iron 165-ish.
Probably better to drop swing speed due to it’s discrepancies and base it on ball speed. As my swing speed measurement is away from reality by 15yards minimum. I hit a 34 degree 7 iron around 165-170 but the measurements suggest 150 .. unless the course is actually shorter ?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Driver speed is around 108-111mph - just strike that's off!:ROFLMAO:

Springveldt

Visit site
As @Ethan said, those numbers look way off, I’m pretty sure it’s not actually possible to carry it 186 with 80mph swing speed.

Looking at the Flightscope Optimser you would need 126mph ball speed with a 16 degree launch angle and 5000rpm spin to get a 186 carry. Your 6 iron must be 90mph, not 80mph.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As @Ethan said, those numbers look way off, I’m pretty sure it’s not actually possible to carry it 186 with 80mph swing speed.

Looking at the Flightscope Optimser you would need 126mph ball speed with a 16 degree launch angle and 5000rpm spin to get a 186 carry. Your 6 iron must be 90mph, not 80mph.
Launch angle looks a little low, suggests some serious de lofting going on?

CountLippe

Visit site

Traditionally that might have been true, but not with modern cross overs. I find it easier to control my G410 3 crossover than my 5 iron and I certainly dont carry a 6 iron 186 yards.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I certainly don't swing it 126mph! I calculated the speed by using the carry(186) and divided it by 2.3 = 80.1. I'm impressed and I'll ignore that equation from now on cheers for that clarification - I've been setting myself short by 10mph!!!!