Long iron/crossover recommendations

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I struggle to hit my fairway wood and hybrid, tried a few recently and just can’t hit them consistently. However, I hit my irons fairly ok.

Because of this I have a big gap between driver and 5i (21.5 degree loft TM M2) which I hit around 190-200. Could really do with something to break through the 200 yard mark.

Been debating getting a 3 or 4 iron in the same range, or trying one of those crossover/driving irons.

I’m looking at second hand, happy to spend £50-80. Any recommendations?

Hcp is 19 and all my shafts are regular.

evemccc

Visit site
I struggle to hit my fairway wood and hybrid, tried a few recently and just can’t hit them consistently. However, I hit my irons fairly ok.

Because of this I have a big gap between driver and 5i (21.5 degree loft TM M2) which I hit around 190-200. Could really do with something to break through the 200 yard mark.

Been debating getting a 3 or 4 iron in the same range, or trying one of those crossover/driving irons.

I’m looking at second hand, happy to spend £50-80. Any recommendations?

Hcp is 19 and all my shafts are regular.

I find it incredible that OEMs are producing 5 irons at 21 degrees of loft. What is a 4 iron in the Taylormade M2 range, 18 degrees?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I find it incredible that OEMs are producing 5 irons at 21 degrees of loft. What is a 4 iron in the Taylormade M2 range, 18 degrees?
my last set i just sold... Mizuno MP 4 the 3 irons was 21, the 4 iron on my new JPX is 19, its little suprise i'm only carrying 12 clubs at the moment

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
not really MP irons are still the same lofts

Irons in generally have changed a lot, I wasn’t specially referring to “mp” irons but using mine as an example of a “2000s” iron which a 3 iron was around 21*. In the 2010s we saw that generally as a loft for a 4 iron and in 2020s it’s now becoming a 5 iron loft.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.thegolfshoponline.co.uk...V-15GpMtdP3oHXQX8XPDYaph23t08BsxoCOlgQAvD_BwE

This place is doing the G400 Crossover, new, custom fit for £99.

I'm sorely tempted, interested too in any feedback.
If you go on the site it’s 5% off so £94 bargain.
I have the G410 #4 iron.
They are a bit longer then a standard iron of the same number so you need to take that into account for your gapping.
I found the Alta shaft a bit soft so went up a flex.
They are great in the wind if you can play a stinger they go for miles.
Very easy to hit and shape the ball.
They are very good for bad lies and light rough ,but heavy rough is not advised.
The G400 had quite a bit of offset I did have one before I got fitted for my new irons.
They are great clubs especially in the hands of a good player who can shape his/ her shots.
At that price you can’t lose and will get your money back off eBay if you don’t get on with it.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you go on the site it’s 5% off so £94 bargain.
I have the G410 #4 iron.
They are a bit longer then a standard iron of the same number so you need to take that into account for your gapping.
I found the Alta shaft a bit soft so went up a flex.
They are great in the wind if you can play a stinger they go for miles.
Very easy to hit and shape the ball.
They are very good for bad lies and light rough ,but heavy rough is not advised.
The G400 had quite a bit of offset I did have one before I got fitted for my new irons.
They are great clubs especially in the hands of a good player who can shape his/ her shots.
At that price you can’t lose and will get your money back off eBay if you don’t get on with it.

Is there a code for the £5 off?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Found it, there’s a code in the newsletter when you sign up.

Bought. £94, can’t complain at that. I’ve had ping stuff before, standard lie etc so will sell it if I can’t get on with it.

I just took a peek at that website and it seems I’ve bought a cbx2 wedge

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry for the resurrection... how are you all getting on with the crossovers ? Are they easy off the fairway and second cut ?

D

Deleted member 3432

Sorry for the resurrection... how are you all getting on with the crossovers ? Are they easy off the fairway and second cut ?

Any long iron is not going to perform as well as a hybrid from off the short stuff.

As for the 2nd cut maybe just chopping it back into play with something lofted?

Utility/driving irons can be a little one dimensional, I use mine a lot off the tee and off the fairway round a links track but don't even consider it if I have missed the fairway. Saying that hard to hit anything out of the heather ?