Long Bunker Shots

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm fine getting out of greenside bunkers and also OK with long fairway bunker escapes... but I can't do the 50-100yard bunker shot with GW/PW/9I

Basically (despite knowing not to) I still hit behind the ball, resulting in escaping ok but naff all distance compared to what I needed

Tips for how to set up (I assume it needs to be different to greenside bunker) and drills pls ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm fine getting out of greenside bunkers and also OK with long fairway bunker escapes... but I can't do the 50-100yard bunker shot with GW/PW/9I

Basically (despite knowing not to) I still hit behind the ball, resulting in escaping ok but naff all distance compared to what I needed

Tips for how to set up (I assume it needs to be different to greenside bunker) and drills pls ?
For this shot I always put the ball back in my stance .
This steepens the downswing, but it does deloft the club a bit.
Square face .
Like a low wedge off the back foot.
Best drill is get in the practice bunker and experiment.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have always understood that I should keep my ‘lower half’ quiet…I guess to stop me ‘taking a divot’ and improving the chance of me picking the ball off the sand cleanly. It works for me. No idea if that’s how it should be done.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For this shot I always put the ball back in my stance .
This steepens the downswing, but it does deloft the club a bit.
Square face .
Like a low wedge off the back foot.
Best drill is get in the practice bunker and experiment.

If it a low enough face and ball back far enough in the bunker I like to play it like this too.

Ball back or centre, drive it in low. Usually has lots of stop on it. I use 1 extra club than the full swing normal distance. Eg 80 yard shot. Instead of 60 I'll use the sw.

Closer in long bunker shots mignt be played with a 9i opened up trying to play a kind of duff and run shot.