Lone golf

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Regularly used to go and play on my own after work when the course was quiet,
I actually think going forward I will be playing less on my own and more as a two ball as that is what will be encouraged.

TH63

Hacker
Visit site
When I was a junior, during the summer holidays I'd often play on my own. Back then it was all about firsts, first par, first birdie, first sub-90, etc so I'd be quite competitive by myself if you know what I mean.

Haven't done it for many years, but wouldn't bother me if it was the only way to get out there

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I love playing golf in comps, with my mates, or on my own.
I work shifts, so often wander up and just relax, wandering about, hitting shots, enjoying the countryside and the fresh air. It's a fantastic release from the daily grind.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Following a post from Wolf on another thread, I thought it would be interesting to get your thoughts on playing golf on your own, as we will be doing a lot more of this now. I know some people who play golf for company and wouldn't ever step on to a course on their own, however there are others who see golf as a solo pursuit.

Personally, I play two types of golf:
1. Playing on my own, I am completely in the moment from arriving at my ball to playing my shot. Between shots, golf is a wonderful way for me to think about life while walking the fairways. Solo golf for me is characterised by pure ball striking, controlled shape and trajectory, and a zen-like state.
2. Most of the time, golf is a social game for me. It's also a competitive game, whether a casual knock with mates or the club championship. There's a lot to talk about, whether getting to know a stranger or catching up with your oldest friend. Social golf for me is characterised by poor ball striking, scrambling, but fun and banter. It is also much more rewarding for me.

So, what does solo golf mean to you?
This is me down to a tee.
But I would add no 3 competition where I put a different cap on .
I enjoy all forms .

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No golf for us still, but i doubt i would that keen on playing any more than a few holes, not enjoy playing on my own i like competition. and the social aspect

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played golf on my own 95% of the time since I began 3 years ago. It’s only been in the last year that it’s started to feel rather lonely. It won’t stop me though. I still enjoy getting out and trying to improve.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If it's a choice between playing alone or not playing at all then I will enjoy a solitary round.

With ranges being closed really just another form of practice + exercise + enjoy the surroundings.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I regularly play as a single after work in the evenings if the family don't want to play and don't mind the solitude. Sometimes I tag up with other singles or pairs. I enjoy playing in a swindle once or twice a month, I enjoy playing golf with mrs wedge when ever she wants to play, or with junior wedge whenever he wants to play. It makes no odds to which way I play, having to play as a solo won't stop me playing at all.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not a fan of just my own company (i know i know im not alone ;) ). Rather walk the dog with the wife to the beach/forest than try and get a game as a non member single currently.

If im on my own I much prefer to be on a quiet practise ground than on the course, being on the course as a 1 ball just doesnt feel quite right to me as the course is for being social/competitive, but can happily spend a few hours on a chipping green

Thats just me though, those who enjoy playing solo golf crack on and enjoy :)

Kraxx68

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd prefer to play in a 2/3/4 ball, but more than happy to play on me own, just stick my headphones on, listen to some great music and shoot some golf... roll on this weekend, once its all confirmed we're open for business...

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Beford I joined a club, I used to play solo golf quite a bit as i could only occasionally play with mates. But nowadays, not very bothered about solo golf, so can't see me playing much until multi-household 2 & 3 balls are allowed. Not saying I won't, but cant see it being often.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have played a lot of golf on my own particularly when I want to practice but I prefer to play with others.

Last edited:

PaulS

Visit site
I have played a lot of golf on my own particularly when I want to practice but I prefer to play with others.

However there was a very mixed message in todays briefing

You are now allowed to meet with one person from outside of your household.

Sport may only be a played with people from the same household.
You can play some sports with one person who isn’t a member of your household - golf , fishing tennis etc

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't play golf alone. I've never enjoyed it. If there's no sense of competition then I don't concentrate and my game goes down the pan.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As with most friends that only have weekends off, I usually play solo during the week when I'm on late shifts and then social at the weekends.