Lofted up and not sure if I want to loft down again

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
During the rare moments this winter when the course doesn't resemble a the lake district I have cranked my loft up to 12 degrees, and to tell you the truth I've been hitting absolute bombs (baby draws) with it clocking up to around 270 yards. But with the hopefully good weather coming I'm not sure I should loft down again given the results I'm getting atm.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well TM based a whole driver release and ad campaign around lofting up, although they seem to have dumped that and no mention of that with the SIM drivers. 270 yard in the winter is mighty long hitting and if it is working why change. If you aren't getting results once we get roll out again it's easy enough to drop the loft

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well TM based a whole driver release and ad campaign around lofting up, although they seem to have dumped that and no mention of that with the SIM drivers. 270 yard in the winter is mighty long hitting and if it is working why change. If you aren't getting results once we get roll out again it's easy enough to drop the loft

I did it after a pro suggested it when I moaned about the winter carry distances. I thought I'd over spin the ball and lose distance - but it's the reverse. I also think a lot of explosive work in the gym along with lessons helped.

User20204

Visit site
I think this is a "look at me while a blow my own trumpet" topic.

How absurd to come on here spouting how far you're hitting it at this time of year, asking loft up of loft down. Have a word with yourself but mainly accept, nobody really cares how far you're hitting and even less care about you bragging about it on the internet.

This has been a public service announcement: You have not been charged for this announcement.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
During the rare moments this winter when the course doesn't resemble a the lake district I have cranked my loft up to 12 degrees, and to tell you the truth I've been hitting absolute bombs (baby draws) with it clocking up to around 270 yards. But with the hopefully good weather coming I'm not sure I should loft down again given the results I'm getting atm.

If you are on a simulator and find better numbers with one setting vs another then keep the better setting year round.

D

Deleted member 21258

I think this is a "look at me while a blow my own trumpet" topic.

How absurd to come on here spouting how far you're hitting it at this time of year, asking loft up of loft down. Have a word with yourself but mainly accept, nobody really cares how far you're hitting and even less care about you bragging about it on the internet.

This has been a public service announcement: You have not been charged for this announcement.

Think you have missed the point of the forum.

D

Deleted member 21258

OP, I do something similar during winter when playing winter parkland courses, I have a 12 degree driver that I use to increase forgiveness when still very similar carry.

I also do the opposite when playing windy links, I have a 9.5 degree driver head, to help keep the ball low and out of the cross winds(as I tend to put side spin on the ball).

If it works then do it, keep it at the loft you have got it, why are you thinking of changing back ? (for more overall distance with run ?)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
OP, I do something similar during winter when playing winter parkland courses, I have a 12 degree driver that I use to increase forgiveness when still very similar carry.

I also do the opposite when playing windy links, I have a 9.5 degree driver head, to help keep the ball low and out of the cross winds(as I tend to put side spin on the ball).

If it works then do it, keep it at the loft you have got it, why are you thinking of changing back ? (for more overall distance with run ?)
i can't see 2.5 deg will make a massive difference?

D

Deleted member 21258

i can't see 2.5 deg will make a massive difference?

Makes a fair amount of difference, at a guess 15-25 foot(depending on shot shape due to launch & spin at a guess ?). It is noticeably lower tbh and safer in cross winds for my slice.

IIRC when I tested it on the launch monitor, I got about 10 yards less carry off the 9.5 but on the course more run, so weirdly is very similar distance on normal firmness courses.

You can play around with figures on this btw and see for yourself :-

https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Makes a fair amount of difference, at a guess 15-25 foot(depending on shot shape due to launch & spin at a guess ?). It is noticeably lower tbh and safer in cross winds for my slice.

IIRC when I tested it on the launch monitor, I got about 10 yards less carry off the 9.5 but on the course more run, so weirdly is very similar distance on normal firmness courses.

You can play around with figures on this btw and see for yourself :-

https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/
carry?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It might be that when you loft up on most drivers it changes the face alignment .
This obviously suits you so leave it.
Players with a minus AOA will benefit from lofting up as they deloft the face by hitting down on the ball.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I was going to just because of roll out but I feel like it's so easy to hit good shots with it then why should I change it? I think that it's been ingrained in me to have a lower loft on my driver.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was going to just because of roll out but I feel like it's so easy to hit good shots with it then why should I change it? I think that it's been ingrained in me to have a lower loft on my driver.
I think they say the side spin is reduced .. hence the ball has a tendency to behave.
At those distances I would leave it, every thing should be in range with a 5 iron or less. Best to be in play!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been playing with more loft on my driver for some years now both summer and winter between 11.5 and 12 degrees. Can't see me changing that for any reason soon.

D

Deleted member 23344

I play with 13 degrees as it means that I’m straighter for little loss of distance. I read somewhere that most coaches consider that the majority of amateur players would benefit from more loft on their drivers.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to use 12° for a long time, then it was 11° on my Ping G30 which launched quite high anyway. When I did my fitting for the G410 though he suggested there was no need as I hit up on the ball fairly well, so I've just had it on standard 10.5° ever since I got it.