Locksmith

white_feather

Club Champion
Visit site
I am currently looking for a change in career.

At the moment I work as an Applications Development Engineer (I don't know what that means either),
however it is going nowhere fast.

So I've been thinking about re-training as a locksmith and becoming self-employed.

I've always worked for someone else, so losing the security of a regular monthly wage does at first seem a little daunting.

Does anyone out there have a similar experience or know someone who has also taken the plunge?

Any advice, suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would imagine that in future the majority of locking will be done electronically so the scope for things to go wrong will be higher.
Could be a good move.

i would disagree, the good old fashioned key and lock wont be replaced in our lifetime IMHO. White feather, i would research the competition, how many are there in your area, phone one up and try and get an appointment, if they can come tomorrow or today, i would say its not that busy..

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A mate of mine is a locksmith he has registered with the police so is on-call for them at times he also is no-call for private work too where a lot of his business comes from.
He has also got himself known to housing associations and property maintenance company's and anyone else that might use a locksmith. I have not seen him for a while but I know he made a good living out of it because he was determined to get his name known and worked hard at it.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
i would disagree, the good old fashioned key and lock wont be replaced in our lifetime IMHO. White feather, i would research the competition, how many are there in your area, phone one up and try and get an appointment, if they can come tomorrow or today, i would say its not that busy..

if an emergency locksmith cant come the same day, he is useless or too busy