Head movement

dazzio78

Hacker
Visit site
I've been struggling with my swing for a few weeks now and have zero confidence in it. There is absolutely no consistency to it and the ball could literally do anything and go anywhere.

I turned up for the weekly group lesson last night and at the end, the pro said to all of us "looks like most of you have gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson", to which I replied "it would have been more enjoyable!"...yes, it was that bad.

I've altered my grip slightly following a comment from the pro at last weeks lesson and went to the range at the weekend to get used to it, and did eventually get comfortable with it. Last night was a complete reversal of that. The pro made a further change to the grip, but it was nothing 'unusual' as he took it back to basics which were covered on the 4-week 'beginner course I did with him last summer (strange how over time you gradually change things without really knowing). He also got the camera out and recorded my swing...it made for interesting viewing...

Firstly, the start of the downswing saw the club move completely off-plane and was descending on a very steep angle. This had the knock-on effect of me becoming very couped-up and then at the moment of impact the ball was pinging off the hosel and going right! In the short time available, he explained what was going wrong, and demonstrated how I should be moving and how the club should descend. Hit a few shots after, which weren't necessarily straight, but the contact was better. Secondly, my head would move significantly downwards and forwards during the take back and downswing. The pro is convinced this is a large part of the problem and blames it on the alignment of my back, which is slightly hunched in the upper/shoulder area. He reckons that if I can straighten my back, then keeping my head from moving down and forwards will become easier....I tried a few swings focussing on keeping my back straight but it felt strange and needless to say the shots weren't the best.

At the end of the lesson I decided to bite the bullet and booked an hour 1-on-1 lesson so he can dedicate 60mins of his time to me rather than the 10mins I normally get at the group lesson. Being an impatient man I was hoping he would have a space available asap, but he doesn't so I'm now booked in on Saturday 25th.

In the meantime, I want to try and reduce the head movement and straighten out my back. Are there are practice drills/routines that I can do to get the ball rolling, either at the range or at home?

I really want to get this cracked, because like I said at the start, there is just no consistency to my swing. However, when I do make decent contact with the ball, I can hit it fairly straight and a reasonable distance (7I can go 150yds), so I know there is something decent in there somewhere.

The game of golf can be a complete minder-bender at times :D Any advice/tips wil be greatly appreciated :thup: