Lockerbie / Borders courses

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ay up.

As part of my new job I'm going to be spending possibly 1 week in 4 or 5 for 6 months up in Lockerbie, and looking to play some rounds after work or on the way back, if possible, but looking for some advice.

I've already played Thornhill, Southerness, Lockerbie, Lochmaben, Moffatt, Dumfries and Galloway, Colvend, Kirkcudbright and maybe a few others including Siloth and Brampton in Cumbria.

I know that Powfoot is always mentioned as one to go to, but any others within an hour of Lockerbie that are worth considering or just of the M6 for on the way back (say within 30 mins of the M6).

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As you commented, Powfoot is one. And Lanark - just about within an hour of Lockerbie - is worth a visit. (Apart from the ones you've done, all my others are more than an hour away).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've stayed at the caravan park by Powfoot, will be there again in a few weeks time. It is always immaculate, no matter the time of year. It's got humps and bumps, not hills, and looks fun. I've never played it but I've walked around it enough to know it would be worth playing if I was in the area.

It is also a Braid course so if you are a member of one elsewhere that is also part of the association then you can play at a discount rate.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Penrith is close to M6 corridor and Appleby is reasonably close on the journey back or forth. Also Lancaster on your journey is class.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've stayed at the caravan park by Powfoot, will be there again in a few weeks time. It is always immaculate, no matter the time of year. It's got humps and bumps, not hills, and looks fun. I've never played it but I've walked around it enough to know it would be worth playing if I was in the area.

It is also a Braid course so if you are a member of one elsewhere that is also part of the association then you can play at a discount rate.
We did that last July on way to Forfar, played Powfoot( 4 times now) and love it.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ay up.

As part of my new job I'm going to be spending possibly 1 week in 4 or 5 for 6 months up in Lockerbie, and looking to play some rounds after work or on the way back, if possible, but looking for some advice.

I've already played Thornhill, Southerness, Lockerbie, Lochmaben, Moffatt, Dumfries and Galloway, Colvend, Kirkcudbright and maybe a few others including Siloth and Brampton in Cumbria.

I know that Powfoot is always mentioned as one to go to, but any others within an hour of Lockerbie that are worth considering or just of the M6 for on the way back (say within 30 mins of the M6).

You can be at mine (Glenbervie) in 70 mins from Lockerbie, motorway all the way. Better waiting till April when it starts to resemble anything like what it should.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Strathaven, Bothwell Castle, Sandyhills all within an hour strike distance. West Linton is probably about an hour and a bit and worth considering.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice, Powfoot looks to be top of the list and I've played a few of the others mentioned before, but will try some of the others.

Cheers Val, I'll deffo head up to yours after the clocks go forward - BTW you dont/didnt work for Jenkinsons did you?

Lanark I've played before, but love it there - very similar to Delamere forest by us, but more breathtaking surrounds.

Quite a few to go at, and as may play once or twice a week up there, may get most of them in.

Reactions: Val

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Silverdale is well worth a visit. Quirky as he'll and not too big a detour off the M6. Casterton is another quirky but a really enjoyable 9 holer, and always in good nick.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice, Powfoot looks to be top of the list and I've played a few of the others mentioned before, but will try some of the others.

Cheers Val, I'll deffo head up to yours after the clocks go forward - BTW you dont/didnt work for Jenkinsons did you?

Lanark I've played before, but love it there - very similar to Delamere forest by us, but more breathtaking surrounds.

Quite a few to go at, and as may play once or twice a week up there, may get most of them in.

No, couple of doors up. Jones but been away a couple of years.

Just give me a bit of notice, week .or so to sort a tee time

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm staying in Powfoot this weekend, have walked our dog through the course a couple of times, there is a right of way. Course is looking absolutely pristine, ridiculous for this time of year. Round of applause to the green keepers.

One thing I did notice more, ooo there's a lot of gorse. Must be thousands of balls, never to be seen again in there 😆. You definitely need to be able to hit it straight there. Don't worry about your distance, it will run. Straight is key.