What determines unplayable lie?

D

Deleted Member 1156

drew...to explain for you......

If taking S&D, stand behind your ball and face directly towards the flag. You can go as far back as you like in a straight line directly behind you.

Was it you that started the thread about touching your ball at address and calling a penalty? Might be worth downloading a rules app onto your phone or googling the rules. There are a few sites that explain the rules in layman's terms as the wording is sometimes difficult to understand. Sounds to me like you may be adding a few unnecessary penalty strokes to your scores :(

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
@d4s, thanks for the info.

I have got the R&A app. But I think getting the book would be helpful. I think someone said on another thread about getting it free? Is that true?

It wasn't me that said about the touching ball at address no.

If there are more rules like this then yes I think I may be loosing a few. I plan to get a membership next year & hopefully get good enough to play a few medals/comps so will need to get up to speed on them all.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry for hijacking the thread but got a question on same issue....

I know you can deem anything as unplayable- even when it is playable?

so if you were stuck behind a tree with a very poor lie but you know you could get contact on it- say between 2 roots at the bottom of the tree would that be cheating to say it's unplayable? Then move it 2 club lengths to the left and you can now see flag perfectly-When you know you could at least get something on it albeit a tough shot?

Ie the real reason you're doing it is to give yourself and easier shot rather than because it's unplayable?

Is this cheating or more not in the spirit of the game? Or perfectly fine?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

so if you were stuck behind a tree with a very poor lie but you know you could get contact on it- say between 2 roots at the bottom of the tree would that be cheating to say it's unplayable? Then move it 2 club lengths to the left and you can now see flag perfectly-When you know you could at least get something on it albeit a tough shot?
Nope, it's not cheating as long as you add the penalty stroke and follow the rules on how to drop.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Ie the real reason you're doing it is to give yourself and easier shot rather than because it's unplayable?

Is this cheating or more not in the spirit of the game? Or perfectly fine?

Perfectly fine, and if you hang around the forum long enough for the thread cycle to repeat you'll hear of an even more 'out of the box' use of taking a penalty.

You'll not hear it from me though, not being responsible for opening that can of worms again, no siree!

D

Deleted Member 1156

@d4s, thanks for the info.

I have got the R&A app. But I think getting the book would be helpful. I think someone said on another thread about getting it free? Is that true?

Yes absolutely free. Most clubs have copies lying around somewhere that members can pick up or possibly even from one of the big chain stores? If you go into the shop in a local club I'm sure they will be able to give you a copy :thup:

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Perfectly fine, and if you hang around the forum long enough for the thread cycle to repeat you'll hear of an even more 'out of the box' use of taking a penalty.

You'll not hear it from me though, not being responsible for opening that can of worms again, no siree!

Go on then, I'll bite.........what is this container of bugs you speak of?

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes absolutely free. Most clubs have copies lying around somewhere that members can pick up or possibly even from one of the big chain stores? If you go into the shop in a local club I'm sure they will be able to give you a copy :thup:

ok cool cheers. will ask tomorrow

Just looked on R&A site, & downloaded the rule book....bit of light reading!:thup:

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Go on then, I'll bite.........what is this container of bugs you speak of?

You mean like putting off the green into a greenside bunker; finding your ball held up on the slope almost buried and right against the face and so a very difficult bunker shot. You could take a drop in the bunker away from the face at cost of a shot - but it might plug badly and might still have an horrendous bunker shot. So take S&D and place your ball back on the green :)

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You mean like putting off the green into a greenside bunker; finding your ball held up on the slope almost buried and right against the face and so a very difficult bunker shot. You could take a drop in the bunker away from the face at cost of a shot - but it might plug badly and might still have an horrendous bunker shot. So take S&D and place your ball back on the green :)

Ah, yeah I can see that one being a bit trickier

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just as a side, is it any different being in a fairway bunker? I had it a couple of weeks ago where I was 2 inches from the left hand side of the bunker edge, 6 inch (ish) from the face. Under the rule, could I move to the be on the fairway (say move the ball 3 inches left)? Obviously taking the penalty.

Or in a bunker do I have to stay within the bunker?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just as a side, is it any different being in a fairway bunker? I had it a couple of weeks ago where I was 2 inches from the left hand side of the bunker edge, 6 inch (ish) from the face. Under the rule, could I move to the be on the fairway (say move the ball 3 inches left)? Obviously taking the penalty.

You have only 2 of the 3 options if in a bunker:

Drop under 1 stroke penalty within the bunker not nearer the hole.

Play again under 1 stroke penalty from where you played your previous shot.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You have only 2 of the 3 options if in a bunker:

Drop under 1 stroke penalty within the bunker not nearer the hole.

Play again under 1 stroke penalty from where you played your previous shot.

I thought you still had all 3 options but 2 mean staying in the bunker?

In a long bunker you still might want to go back on a line to the flag.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The only time you get to drop outside a bunker (that isn't GUR) is if you are taking relief from casual water in the bunker and there is nowhere in it to take full relief.
Under those circumstances you can drop outside the bunker (on a line to the flag?) but it costs you a penalty stroke.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a tip. If you plan to take relief in any circumstances, under any relevant rule, work out what your options are *before * you lift your ball.
It's easy to say, I'm going back along flag-ball line, pick up ball then find when you go to take your drop that you can't do what you planned (like in your diagram) or that your 2 club lengths doesn't get you a better shot.
It's too late then to decide to play with the as it lies(cos it isn't lying anymore!)

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheers.

Saturday I found myself with a few "unplayable lies" but did exactly this. Checked around for options & decided to play the "unplayable".

Ended up chipping out better than I thought I would have & walked away quite happy.