Stranraer (or close) course recommendations

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

Up in Glasgow again next week on business, but also have to go to cairnryan for a day or night, so can possibly get a round in, if times suit.

I'll be either going from the M74 via Dumfries or down from Glasgow, so will also consider ones on the way.

I've heard good things about Portpatrick, but dont know many others around there.

I've already played Colvend, Kirkcudbright, Southerness, Dumfries and Galloway, Newton Stuart, Turnberry so would like to try somewhere new.:thup:

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
As above, Stranraer is a really nice track with some memorable holes. Dumfries and County is nice too. Up the Ayrshire coast you are spoiled for choice. I've only actually played the muni's on a cheap trip and would certainly recommend Belleisle but there will be loads more I'm sure especially if you are willing to pay a bit more.

DCB

Visit site
If you are looking at something nearby after you finish at Cairn Ryan, I'd say Creachmore at Stranraer or Portpatrick Dunskey are your best two options. Dunskey is superb and on a nice day the views can't be beaten. Some challenging holes when the breeze is up. Creachmore is just as good, but is a bit more sheltered if there is a strong breeze blowing from the west.

Dunskey is about 15 miles from Cairn Ryan and Creachmore about 10 miles round loch Ryan. I've played both many tmes and still enjoy going back.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Stranraer is good, nice clubhouse and friendly staff, lovely drive from Turnberry to Stranraer.
Portpatrick is also great for views but a bit wild on a windy day.
Belleisle is in good condition at the mo. Hotel and clubhouse is being re-built so apart from the course it is a bomb site.
The muni's of Darley and Lochgreen at Troon is also an option

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, depending on my itinerary, I may go for a twilight at Portpatrick dunskey.
Creachmore, Powfoot and West Kilbride may also be in the frame.

D

Deleted member 1740

Thanks for the feedback, depending on my itinerary, I may go for a twilight at Portpatrick dunskey.
Creachmore, Powfoot and West Kilbride may also be in the frame.

Pedro, Stranraer is defo worth a visit mate, though i'd prefer Portpatrick out of Powfoot/Stranraer and Portpatrick.

I've not played the other 2 but i'm sure the craw is a member at WK.

Wherever you play enjoy it:thup: