Adjani

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know many users list their location under their forum user name, but theres also quite a few that dont.

Just an idea to promote more people into doing this, as we can then see other users near you that you can invite to play with;

especially useful to the new forum members, build up a bit of a community link outside of this webpage, put a face to the names, a game to the clubs etc . . . .

You can enter your location in the User Options - Personal Information :eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And even at this time of year sammmebee decides to send another post completely disagreeing with anything I say. Why bother reading anything I write as it is obviously against everything you stand for and yet most other forum members don't share the same disaffection as you. It is a time for peace and harmony and so it matters not and I wish you well

Merry Christmas Sammmebee. My best wishes to you and your family

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think its a good idea but needs to be limited, maybe county and club, Im not big on detailed info on any web site, you never know?

Adjani

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think its a good idea but needs to be limited, maybe county and club
That works for me herb, my aim was simply to spot players local to me so i could invite them for a game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All I was suggesting was like my signature : Bracknell - Berkshire.

I wasn't suggesting postcodes or door numbers. Its just if you live somewhere like Surrey you could be out near me or over near Kent so there is a pretty big area to cover. At least with the town it lets people know a bit more specifically particularly in lieu of trying to get a game with a fellow forummer.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My actual dig was at the OP....and my point was that you don't really want to play golf with people you've never chatted with before and them just contacting you because they live there - I mean on Homer's 'Bracknell - Berkshire' bit that would mean we'd be foursomes parters now but obviously now we've got to know each we all know that wouldn't work......

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its a great Idea, Aslong as the location is just rough I dont see the harm. Good to know where each person comes from, I can imagine the accent in my head when I read the posts that way :D

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I mean on Homer's 'Bracknell - Berkshire' bit that would mean we'd be foursomes partners now but obviously now we've got to know each we all know that wouldn't work......

:) :D

You never know, you might make a good team. I got drawn time and again with a guy at my last club and we didn't get on socially (as it were).....two different personalities.
We made a good pair though....both determined to prove we could play....

i.i.r.c. we also got put together for alternate ball, his driving was awesome and my irons were pretty good....see, method in the Captain's madness. :)

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My actual dig was at the OP....and my point was that you don't really want to play golf with people you've never chatted with before and them just contacting you because they live there - I mean on Homer's 'Bracknell - Berkshire' bit that would mean we'd be foursomes parters now but obviously now we've got to know each we all know that wouldn't work......

A round of golf is a round of golf, you should be able to play with anyone, if you have hidden agenda on such a thing its not a good start point to me. If someone left a message for me re: game of golf with a forummer, if I was available I would be happy to, as I would know I didnt have to fall in love with them and invite them to meet my mum. ;)

Adjani

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Stranger or friend, i love to watch and play with other people; you can learn from both high and low handicap players.

As a bonus, maybe have a good laugh and arrange to play again, or shake hands on the 18th green and wander off in diferent directions.

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think it's a great idea. Personally, I'd love to meet more people from the forum for a game. (Maybe when I'm slightly better at it though!!)

I have had a good experience meeting a member of this forum previously and nothing can come of harm from adding a location, but obviously it's down to personal preference.

I am now Hertfordshire - Welwyn Garden City and feel free to ask for a knock! Thanks OP

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's a great idea. Personally, I'd love to meet more people from the forum for a game. (Maybe when I'm slightly better at it though!!)

I have had a good experience meeting a member of this forum previously and nothing can come of harm from adding a location, but obviously it's down to personal preference.

I am now Hertfordshire - Welwyn Garden City and feel free to ask for a knock! Thanks OP

Dont worry about being better at the game before asking, Ive had rounds with absolute beginners and loved it, I have also had rounds with very serious single figure h/c players and hated it, it works the other way round too ;), it matters not to me, the pleasure is in the company and the golf, helping if they want help or just enjoying the game, learning from them as much as they learn from me by just watching.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Why not? I've played with guys I've never met and probably won't do again.

I jumped into a mini forum meet a year ago and now play with other guys from here.

Used to have a lot of afternoons off so popped to the local 9 hole course and roll up for a knock,plenty of times I've met other golfers who invited me to join them and had great fun (a couple of bad ones too but more positive than not).

Maybe if you met in REAL life you might find some common ground who knows?

Oh and if anybody fancies a game between now and the 5th give me a shout!

(Exc Friday 2nd)

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Smiffy what you doing news years eve day? I quite fancy a knock, maybe see if anyone else is wanting one too? Early on of course!

I know its new years eve and all but only day I am free. If we get out morning time we can back in plenty of time for the nights plans.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Smiffy what you doing news years eve day? I quite fancy a knock, maybe see if anyone else is wanting one too? Early on of course!

Errrr you're Ooop North aren't ya Tony?
I'm down in East Sussex :D

Working until 1 o'clock anyway, but looking to arrange something on New Years Day actually
;)