New Moderators Join the Fight Against Spam

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I am sur there was one weekend where it kicked off on a Friday night and we were still clearing it up and handing out bans on Sunday evening. When it kicked off then it proper kicked off.

I’m dreading the “Covid 20 - how has it affected you?” thread. Think I’ll earn my spurs then.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m dreading the “Covid 20 - how has it affected you?” thread. Think I’ll earn my spurs then.

Some of the real humdingers broke off onto other social media with it carrying on over on Twitter and Facebook. It was like the wild west at times.

That was when I hung up my moderating hat.

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Visit site
Having a forum with minimal spam sounds like an incredible problem to have. Still, as someone who oversees lots of forums, spam is always on my mind, so it'll crop up when I discuss stuff like new Moderators.

It's still better to have too many mods, than not enough, since they are all here on their own time to help things run smoothly. Having nothing to do during that time, but discuss golf, sounds like another net positive.

D

Deleted member 1147

Being an hour ahead of most of the forum members, and an old coffin dodger, I’m usually awake before 5am U.K. time. Yesterday I saw 3 Spam posts, and I dare say I didn’t see all of them. I’ve reported a number of them since we came out here and I, usually, see them quite early.

But don’t worry guys, I kept the one from yesterday that listed the best massage parlours to visit. Seriously, a lot of the stuff you don’t even get to see.
Being an hour ahead you can moderate posts before they’re even sent

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just catching up after an unexpected month away and great to see 2 new faces on the Bench that I respect. Good luck in your new roles and hopefully you can take things on the forum forward and we can enjoy a fun place to post and chat 🍷🥂

ThinBullet

Visit site
My day job is an ethical hacker (pentester) so I frequently browse all manner of golf FB buy/sell groups, YouTube golf accounts (Jim Browning is doing a great job of tearing down scam call centres), and weed out the scammers/spammers. I report them and sinkhole their dodgy links via VirusTotal and inform my peers who then dig in further to reverse engineer their malware.

Sadly, there's not enough of us to truly go after them and the Computer Misuse Act 1990, tends to be a bit of a stumbling block.

Education is key to safety so I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about cyber security.