Local rule for relief from internat fences

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At my club the greenkeepers have started to put fences in certain areas so as to prevent buggies and/or trollies being taken into that area. The fences they are being errected are a simple single rail on posts that are approx 10 feet apart.

Does anyone have a sample local rule or know where I could get a sample local rule that will allow relief if your ball comes to rest in a position where either the rail or post interferes with the next shot.

I have a feeling I have seen something on the back of the scorecards in the past.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it's a temporary or permanent arrangement you would expect the club to post notices whether you get relief or not and if you do probably nearest point of relief + one club not nearer the hole.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
All the specimen local Rules are on the R&A Rules explorer, try there.

I think this could be what you are after.

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx#/rules/?ruleNum=6. Immovable Obstructions Close to Putting Green

6. Immovable Obstructions Close to Putting Green

Rule 24-2 provides relief, without penalty, from interference by an immovable obstruction, but it also provides that, except on the putting green, intervention on the line of play is not, of itself, interference under this Rule.

However, on some courses, the aprons of the putting greens are so closely mown that players may wish to putt from just off the green. In such conditions, immovable obstructions on the apron may interfere with the proper playing of the game and the introduction of the following Local Rule providing additional relief, without penalty, from intervention by an immovable obstruction would be warranted:

“Relief from interference by an immovable obstruction may be obtained under Rule 24-2. In addition, if a ball lies through the green on or within two club-lengths of the putting green and within two club-lengths of the ball intervenes on the line of play between the ball and the hole, the player may take relief as follows:
The ball must be lifted and dropped at the nearest point to where the ball lay that (a) is not nearer the hole, (b) avoids intervention and (c) is not in a hazard or on a putting green.
If the player’s ball lies on the putting green and an immovable obstruction within two club-lengths of the putting green intervenes on his line of putt, the player may take relief as follows:

The ball must be lifted and placed at the nearest point to where the ball lay that (a) is not nearer the hole, (b) avoids intervention and (c) is not in a hazard.
The ball may be cleaned when lifted.

Exception: A player may not take relief under this Local Rule if interference by anything other than the immovable obstruction makes the stroke clearly impracticable.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF LOCAL RULE:
Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.”

Note: The Committee may restrict this Local Rule to specific holes, to balls lying only in closely-mown areas, to specific obstructions, or, in the case of obstructions that are not on the putting green, to obstructions in closely-mown areas if so desired. “Closely-mown area” means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

Depending on where the fences are you could probably modify the bit about the ball being within 2 club lengths of the green as suggested in the note.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Why do you need a local rule? The condition is covered by the rules of golf so there is no need and to have one will just confuse matters. A fence is an obstruction and play should proceed under rule 24. See definition of "Obstruction" below...

An "obstruction" is anything artificial, including the artificial surfaces and sides of roads and paths and manufactured ice, except:
a. Objects defining out of bounds, such as walls, fences, stakes and railings;
b. Any part of an immovable artificial object that is out of bounds; and
c. Any construction declared by the Committee to be an integral part of the course.

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for the replies foilks. I started the thread last night after having driven to Aberystwyth and back and did not give it full thought.

After thinking about it, and knowing where the fences are currently being placed (well away from greens), I believe rule 24 should cover it. However, do you believe there is a need to state on the card or elsewhere, that these fences are to be treated as immovable obstructions?

The reason I ask is that there appears to be a difference of opinion at the club. Some say they are an integral part of the course and give no relief, others will grant relief. My thoughts are, no notice is needed as players should know the basic rules of golf, but we all know how some people "know" the rules :)

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would think that a notice on the notice board saying that the fences are immovable obstructions and Rule 24 applies would be a good thing - avoids confusion and should stop people trying to find out if they are moveable.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At the end of the day it's up to the Comittee to decide if the fences are to be an intergral part of the course or not.
A notice on the board once the decision is made will/should avoid confusion