Not allowing relief from ball embedded on face of bunker

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played Gullane 3 yesterday and noticed that they have a local rule not allowing free relief from stacked turf above a bunker.
Surprised to see this. What is the reason for allowing this local rule and why would a club want to use this?
Thanks.Screenshot_20230729_085910_Gallery.jpg

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Gullane 3 yesterday and noticed that they have a local rule not allowing free relief from stacked turf above a bunker.
Surprised to see this. What is the reason for allowing this local rule and why would a club want to use this?
Thanks.View attachment 48736
The local rule is an authorised one: MLR F-2. As to why it is being used on Gullane 3, apart from the obvious because they think free relief is too easy a get out from that situation and that traditionally relief has not been allowed, I couldn't say. I think it's quite common on links courses to have that LR

Last edited:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely the riveted face is just part of the bunker, but it just so happens that there is no sand as it is a vertical face. We have a few bunkers that have a very steep face (over 50°) which are full of sand. If your ball plugs in there you get no relief. Same difference.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely the riveted face is just part of the bunker, but it just so happens that there is no sand as it is a vertical face. We have a few bunkers that have a very steep face (over 50°) which are full of sand. If your ball plugs in there you get no relief. Same difference.

Bunker​

A specially prepared area of sand, which is often a hollow from which turf or soil was removed.

These are not part of a bunker:

• A lip, wall or face at the edge of a prepared area and consisting of soil, grass, stacked turf or artificial materials,

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No a rivetted face is not part of a bunker.

Definition

Bunker
A specially prepared area of sand, which is often a hollow from which turf or soil was
removed.
These are not part of a bunker:
• A lip, wall or face at the edge of a prepared area and consisting of soil, grass,
stacked turf or artificial materials,
• Soil or any growing or attached natural object inside the edge of a prepared
area (such as grass, bushes or trees),

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My understanding is that the face (above the sand) of any bunker is not part of the bunker.
To not allow free relief from an embedded ball on the face requires the introduction of a local rule.
My original post was asking why would a club do that?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
My understanding is that the face (above the sand) of any bunker is not part of the bunker.
To not allow free relief from an embedded ball on the face requires the introduction of a local rule.
My original post was asking why would a club do that?
Possibly because they don't want a load of people hacking the faces to buggery?

Bratty

Visit site
Ooops. Good point.
Only reason I can now think of is they want the course to still play hard in benign conditions? I've known some links courses to be fairly straightforward when it's calm and sunny.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not so sure about that. My course has 100 bunkers, a mile long wall on one side, the sea on the other and pretty severe rough.
Ooops. Good point.
Only reason I can now think of is they want the course to still play hard in benign conditions? I've known some links courses to be fairly straightforward when it's calm and sunny.

Bratty

Visit site
Not so sure about that. My course has 100 bunkers, a mile long wall on one side, the sea on the other and pretty severe rough.
I did say some, not all. I played The Old Course on a calm day, avoided every bunker and shot an 82, 3 under handicap, and that included a 7 on the 2nd. I'm not saying it was an easy course, but it was easier than when I played it the next time in 25mph winds, that's for sure.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am sticking by my assumption that the bunkers are what makes links courses so difficult and free relief from them would be of help.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did say some, not all. I played The Old Course on a calm day, avoided every bunker and shot an 82, 3 under handicap, and that included a 7 on the 2nd. I'm not saying it was an easy course, but it was easier than when I played it the next time in 25mph winds, that's for sure.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am sticking by my assumption that the bunkers are what makes links courses so difficult and free relief from them would be of help.
Glad you got to experience the Old Course.
As a short course, it is not that hard. Most links courses are more difficult than the visitor version of there.
Play the likes of Carnoustie or Southerness or Goswick even on a calm day, off proper tees, you'll soon change your opinion.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glad you got to experience the Old Course.
As a short course, it is not that hard. Most links courses are more difficult than the visitor version of there.
Play the likes of Carnoustie or Southerness or Goswick even on a calm day, off proper tees, you'll soon change your opinion.
Played Carnoustie in the rain and wind - WOW