Loading The Right Leg

ProfGAC

Visit site
If properly loaded on the right side at the top of the backswing, should I be able to lift the left foot, and keep it up.
Or if I can lift it, but slightly lose balance to the left, is that acceptable loading of the right leg?

Jason.H

Visit site
If properly loaded on the right side at the top of the backswing, should I be able to lift the left foot, and keep it up.
Or if I can lift it, but slightly lose balance to the left, is that acceptable loading of the right leg?

No you need to learn to shift weight but you need to control your balance.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned is not to sway the hips backwards. You couldn’t stand on your right leg only and not move your hips.
If I stay centred I can consistently strike the ball solidly.

ProfGAC

Visit site
No you need to learn to shift weight but you need to control your balance.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned is not to sway the hips backwards. You couldn’t stand on your right leg only and not move your hips.
If I stay centred I can consistently strike the ball solidly.
Thanks, but I'm still not clear on this. I am not swaying the hips, for sure.
I feel pretty centered, my turn is still 90° at 66 years old, and I have plenty of width.
I feel my left leg loaded, enough so that I CAN lift my left foot. But, after a second or two I've got to put it back down.
Based on your explanation, I'm thinking that I'd HAVE TO slide hips right in order to stay balanced on my right leg for any length of time.
So, if I'm NOT swaying the hips & I'm loading the right side, wouldn't staying balanced on the right side for more than a bit, be impossible becomes my hips are still left of my upper body?

ProfGAC

Visit site
BTW: I don't mean to suggest I'm out of balance. My question really isn't about balance, but more how one footed balance indicates sufficient loading of the right leg.

Wanabe

Visit site
I would concentrate on loading the leading leg, left in the case of a right handed golfer. This is the leg you want to fire off and concentrating on loading the trailing leg (right leg) will lead you to sliding your hips away from the ball. Think load left leg on backswing and then fire left hip into rotation to initiate the downswing. Will maximise energy in the swing and if well rotated in the backswing, whilst maintaining separation of the lower body below your hips, you will be using your Core to create speed. This gained me 10 yards through the bag and upped club head speed to over 90mph, just based upon technique, rather than trying to swing faster. Good luck

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This might sound crazy and one persons feels might be completely wrong for someone else etc etc, but rather than feel I have weight moving into my right foot, my feel is taking weight off my left foot. Same thing maybe, except without shifting your centre of gravity to the right the point at which you need to put weight on your left again nicely coincides with the club starting back down again.

Just what works for me 🤷‍♂️

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I suggest you stop thinking about these details and try to swing the club with your natural instincts.

If you were throwing a golf ball, skimming a stone, hitting a tennis ball, throwing a javelin would you be considering the weight on your leg? Of course you wouldn't as your brain knows how to control these things if you let go and let your body move naturally.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

You should be 50 50 with pressure at the top of the backswing

ProfGAC

Visit site
I suggest you stop thinking about these details and try to swing the club with your natural instincts.

If you were throwing a golf ball, skimming a stone, hitting a tennis ball, throwing a javelin would you be considering the weight on your leg? Of course you wouldn't as your brain knows how to control these things if you let go and let your body move naturally.
That presumes I'm not hitting it ok. I'm doing details because golf is about continuous improvement. Ignoring details seems a sure way to miss an opportunity to improve.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That presumes I'm not hitting it ok. I'm doing details because golf is about continuous improvement. Ignoring details seems a sure way to miss an opportunity to improve.
You're going to struggle to improve if you fill your head with this kind of detail.

Grab a golf ball and throw it as far as you can as if skimming it over water.

Did you consider how much weight was on your trail foot in the back swing.
Did you consider where your throwing hand was at the top.
Did you consider the sequence of moving your hips, shoulders wrists, feet etc.
No, of course you didn't because your brain already knows how to do it, manipulating the action will lead to poor contrived actions.

What you need to think about is the 'Intention'. The impact conditions the clubface needs to create your desired ball flight. Then the target and your intended ball flight.

Everything else is a distraction.

ProfGAC

Visit site
You're going to struggle to improve if you fill your head with this kind of detail.

No, of course you didn't because your brain already knows how to do it, manipulating the action will lead to poor contrived actions.

What you need to think about is the 'Intention'. The impact conditions the clubface needs to create your desired ball flight. Then the target and your intended ball flight.

Missing the point entirely. I'm playing to a 4.5. You're lecturing is not useful.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Missing the point entirely. I'm playing to a 4.5. You're lecturing is not useful.

You're completely missing the point.

What's your HC to do with it anyhow, if you don't need advice then don't ask for it. We can all improve even if it's to become more consistent.

I've replied to your question not by lecturing but by suggesting you are missing the point if you are concerned about whether you should be able to lift your left leg at the top of the backswing.

Feel free to ignore me, it's your left leg after all 🙂

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I don't agree.
While the bold bits may work for you they certainly won't work for everyone.
By all means give your opinion on what has helped you and maybe others but when you start telling people what they should do that can give the impression of lecturing even though I'm sure it wasn't your intention.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't agree.
While the bold bits may work for you they certainly won't work for everyone.
By all means give your opinion on what has helped you and maybe others but when you start telling people what they should do that can give the impression of lecturing even though I'm sure it wasn't your intention.
Bob, if someone asks a question then I assume they are looking for an answer. Replying with advice is a form of lecturing, nothing wrong with that Imho.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob, if someone asks a question then I assume they are looking for an answer. Replying with advice is a form of lecturing, nothing wrong with that Imho.

There's a big difference between giving advice and telling someone what to do. As I said, it may work for you but that doesn't mean it works for all.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There's a big difference between giving advice and telling someone what to do. As I said, it may work for you but that doesn't mean it works for all.
That's confusing Bob. What's the difference between giving advice and telling people what to do? Help me out here as I don't understand your point.