Liverpool courses

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gosh. I used to live in Melling. Didn't even know there was a golf club in Kirkby.
Royal Kirkby had the reputation as the longest muni in the country ( not sure if it was true)
Average course at best but could be good if someone spent some money on it.
There is a course on Aintree Racecourse now as well but I have not played it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks. Either of those any good?
Lee Park is a lovely course I was a member for a long time.
Head greenkeeper is a mate of mine and the greens are always excellent.
Some nice holes but a little up and down on the back nine.

West derby has suffered with the water lately and imo isn’t the course it used to be.
If your looking for a game in the area your welcome at Grange with me.

D

Deleted member 1740

Thanks. Either of those any good?

Are you looking to join or just visit?

They're not top 100 courses but usually both in good nick.

Lee Park's greens are probably the best in the area, always in great nick and well looked after. Better in winter than West Derby though suffers in parts.

West Derby is alright in summer, any rain and it's soaked. I like West Derby though a few short holes.

All in all I don't think there's much between them though LP's greens are better.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Royal Kirkby had the reputation as the longest muni in the country ( not sure if it was true)
Average course at best but could be good if someone spent some money on it.
There is a course on Aintree Racecourse now as well but I have not played it.

The same group have bought Royal Kirkby, Sherdley Park (St Helens) amd Allerton. They are spending big at Sherdley and Allerton so hopefully will at Kirkby too

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lee Park is a lovely course I was a member for a long time.
Head greenkeeper is a mate of mine and the greens are always excellent.
Some nice holes but a little up and down on the back nine.

West derby has suffered with the water lately and imo isn’t the course it used to be.
If your looking for a game in the area your welcome at Grange with me.
Many thanks for the offer but I'm very rarely in or near that side of the Mersey now. My interest was purely academic

eddie_1878

Visit site
The same group have bought Royal Kirkby, Sherdley Park (St Helens) amd Allerton. They are spending big at Sherdley and Allerton so hopefully will at Kirkby too

They’re working on Kirkby now. Adding fairway bunkers, sorting the tees etc. Drainage is poor on a few holes though.

The £20 green fee is a bit of a pisstake IMO.

D

Deleted member 1740

yeah I thought they were starting, isn’t Allerton something like £25 too? Way overpriced

It’s owned by the same company. Allerton was £25 after Lockdown and rammed every single day. Week after week.

eddie_1878

Visit site
yeah I thought they were starting, isn’t Allerton something like £25 too? Way overpriced

As the post above says, the same company have that, Kirkby and Shirley. It’s absolutely overpriced, pre-lockdown Shirley only had 15 holes because of works but were still charging full whack. Haven’t played allerton for a good 15 years, I’d sooner pay £10 more and play at mossock or even Berrington for the same price.

Getting on Kirkby has still been a nightmare though so they have no reason to reduce it I suppose.

Last edited:

CountLippe

Visit site
Childwall is championship length and usually in good condition. Not a bad test of golf and probably the best of the courses within the city boundary, however its not memorable and would struggle make a 'top 10' of the liverpool city region.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gosh. I used to live in Melling. Didn't even know there was a golf club in Kirkby.
Do people from Melling venture into Kirkby? (edit, I used to live in Kirkby and my In laws live in Melling...)
Is Blundells Hill in your radius? Cba checking the map! Great layout!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do people from Melling venture into Kirkby? (edit, I used to live in Kirkby and my In laws live in Melling...)
Is Blundells Hill in your radius? Cba checking the map! Great layout!
I can't ever remember anyone venturing into Kirkby in the 50/60s. :eek: By the time you walked to the canal at Waddicar the invisible vibes were enough to warn you off. I was always surprised when Melling Wheelers moved from Maghull to become Kirkby CC and lost their domination of cycling in the Liverpool Area

Blundells Hill didn't exist in my time but is way outside Liverpool proper.

Last edited:

Grambo87

Visit site
childwall is the best within Liverpool.
west derby is a great course in the summer, like someone said any rain and it's soaked. of you want a game round here message me. probably best leaving it till summer time haha

JGolfer

Visit site
It’s owned by the same company. Allerton was £25 after Lockdown and rammed every single day. Week after week.

Rammed is an understatement, joined as a member while I got back into golf and since I was a member it was in a shocking state, from what I can see all the money been poured into the restaurant etc. Course is massively overplayed and nothing done about it, tee boxes are a shambles, greens aren't great, and the fairways are patchy.

During first lockdown when it was 2 balls only, pre bookings only, the course was rammed with 4 balls, I would turn up when the online booking system had nobody booked in around me, and the course would be rammed with people just showing up. Even got assaulted on the first tee as I was teeing off, because a fella who showed up 10 minutes late to his booking decided to take issue with me a teeing off before him and his PP's, when I mentioned he was late and he should have been there on time. Ended up walking off the course after 13 holes which had taken me 4 hours.

Ensured I did not renew.

Will also say played Sherdley once, and after 5 holes packed it in and asked the guy in the clubhouse who thought the course was in any condition to be playable (It was just a pool of mud, it was the worst state I had ever seen a course) He said it had been checked. (2 of the greens where open, but where completely flooded, and you could not actually putt, the bunkers had basically became water hazard)

Kirby is imo out of the three is by far the best, only had one small issue where a group in front refused to let me and the Mrs through, even though they had let multiple all male groups through, we walked off after 15 holes(had been behind them since hole 6) and they where at least a hole behind the group ahead) because was approaching 5 hours on that round.

Personally I would avoid them all. If you do play any, just make sure you have the whole day free. 6hour rounds on Allerton are not uncommon.

eddie_1878

Visit site
Rammed is an understatement, joined as a member while I got back into golf and since I was a member it was in a shocking state, from what I can see all the money been poured into the restaurant etc. Course is massively overplayed and nothing done about it, tee boxes are a shambles, greens aren't great, and the fairways are patchy.

During first lockdown when it was 2 balls only, pre bookings only, the course was rammed with 4 balls, I would turn up when the online booking system had nobody booked in around me, and the course would be rammed with people just showing up. Even got assaulted on the first tee as I was teeing off, because a fella who showed up 10 minutes late to his booking decided to take issue with me a teeing off before him and his PP's, when I mentioned he was late and he should have been there on time. Ended up walking off the course after 13 holes which had taken me 4 hours.

Ensured I did not renew.

Will also say played Sherdley once, and after 5 holes packed it in and asked the guy in the clubhouse who thought the course was in any condition to be playable (It was just a pool of mud, it was the worst state I had ever seen a course) He said it had been checked. (2 of the greens where open, but where completely flooded, and you could not actually putt, the bunkers had basically became water hazard)

Kirby is imo out of the three is by far the best, only had one small issue where a group in front refused to let me and the Mrs through, even though they had let multiple all male groups through, we walked off after 15 holes(had been behind them since hole 6) and they where at least a hole behind the group ahead) because was approaching 5 hours on that round.

Personally I would avoid them all. If you do play any, just make sure you have the whole day free. 6hour rounds on Allerton are not uncommon.

Wouldn’t go near Allerton or Shirley now...prob Kirkby too. Divots are rarely replaced, pitch marks all over the greens. Plenty of far better courses for only £10 more. Just joined Lee park for the equivalent of £60ish p/m. That wouldn’t get you 3 rounds at those others- which seems crazy to me!

Have you seen the state of bowring btw!?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wouldn’t go near Allerton or Shirley now...prob Kirkby too. Divots are rarely replaced, pitch marks all over the greens. Plenty of far better courses for only £10 more. Just joined Lee park for the equivalent of £60ish p/m. That wouldn’t get you 3 rounds at those others- which seems crazy to me!

Welcome to Lee park, Eddie. Where have you moved from?

Are you on the twilight membership?

Last edited:

eddie_1878

Visit site
Welcome to Lee park, Eddie. Where have you moved from?

Are you on the twilight membership?

Cheers! Nowhere mate, first membership.

No, I’m on a COLT because I’m 35, full membership- just discounted. Can’t for the life of me think why but I’m certainly not complaining!

JGolfer

Visit site

I haven’t played bowring in years if I’m honest. I’m actually in the middle of looking for a new course. Lee park is one I’m considering and huytonprescot another.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers! Nowhere mate, first membership.

No, I’m on a COLT because I’m 35, full membership- just discounted. Can’t for the life of me think why but I’m certainly not complaining!

(y) A colt at 35 - are you sure that's pronounced right? :D

Welcome on board, joining a club improves your golf, no end. Get a round in together some time.(y)