Lithium batteries

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A couple of years back, when I had an issue with my Powakaddy lithium battery after I had left if off charge over the winter, I called Powakaddy and they told me that the battery should be left on charge all the time. I have just bought a lithium battery lawn mower and they tell me that their lithium batteries should be taken off charge between use, It appears that what's good for the goose is not good for the gander?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Different for each mfr perhaps. Gokart advise to charge your lithium battery as quickly after it has been used as possible. Then leave it, unplug it etc. I've had it for 4 yrs, works perfectly still.

At the end of lockdown, after not using it for 4-5 months I thought I should charge it again, in case it has lost charge during this spell. After about 2 minutes it showed fullly charged, worked perfectly first time out again..

It seems odd to leave a battery constantly on charge, as suggested, but then I am not up on battery tech.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My understanding is that chargers that are specificly for a lithium battery work in a different way to those for a lead acid battery, hence why you should not use the wrong type of charger.

From what I have read chargers for a lithium battery switch off when the battery is full. Chargers for lead acid batteries go in to float mode and switch back on if they detect a fall in voltage.

However when I was looking to replace the batteries on my buggy recently instead of the usual 24v ones I came across some 12v ones where it can be used with a lead acid charger.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Go Kart told me to charge it and then disconnect it, if I didnt use it for a while just give it a charge just before using it. It's been as good as gold!

Fabia999

Visit site
first I've heard of keeping any kind of battery on charge, especially over multiple months. If you done that to your phone or laptop the battery would be ruined.

If Powakaddy have recommended their batteries are charged like that then maybe they've designed it that way but I always charge up as soon as I'm finished and take off as soon as its green. (motocaddy user)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have a trolly shed which has around 30 trolleys in and different makes, everyone charges after their round and there left charging, I’ve done mine like this with old batteries then lithium batteries and never had a problem.

Just remembered one that man was told to switch his socket off when he’s playing when he finished he forgot to switch the socket back on, and sure enough the next round he went to play battery wasn’t charged. ?

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently bought a new PowaKaddy and the instructions for the battery state to charge it as soon as possible after use (within 24 hours), and then disconnect it as soon as it's fully charged. If not using it for a while (e.g. over winter) then stick it on charge maybe once every one or 2 weeks