Lithium batteries

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
News reports - over cagrged lithium battery explode into fire . . . . . . .

I have always left my PK and her MC lithium battery plugged in all day and every day between play, I have presumed that there is some form of cut out once it it is fully chatged, now I am not sure???

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
News reports - over cagrged lithium battery explode into fire . . . . . . .

I have always left my PK and her MC lithium battery plugged in all day and every day between play, I have presumed that there is some form of cut out once it it is fully chatged, now I am not sure???
Old advice was to do this .
But modern PK says “ turn off as soon as charged.”
wonder why thats changed!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you buy a lithium specific charger or did you just use one for a lead acid battery.

The lithium specific charger should switch off and one for a lead acid battery goes in to float mode and will continue to pulse charge if the battery level drops.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
My understanding is the major suppliers are safe enough, but it's the cheap scooters and bikes with dodgy batteries that are the main problems.
As for golf trolley lithium batteries, I always turn mine off once fully charged, just to be safe.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
My understanding is the major suppliers are safe enough, but it's the cheap scooters and bikes with dodgy batteries that are the main problems.
As for golf trolley lithium batteries, I always turn mine off once fully charged, just to be safe.
This. Always leave my Stewart golf one on charge

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've just picked this up from the GoKart website.

Our charger will look after the battery for you. It’s simple to use; just plug in and the indicator lights lets you know when it’s time to play again,
After your game, you need to put the battery back on charge as soon as possible; golf batteries shouldn’t be stored in a discharged state.
Lead/acid batteries need to be charged for 12 hours. A lithium battery can take anywhere from two to eight hours.
Once the lead/acid battery is fully charged, it can be left on the charger with the mains still on, or removed from the charger; whichever suits you better. The battery doesn’t care which option you go for.
The lithium battery is best removed from the charger once it’s full again.
Both types of battery will stay fully charged off the charger for at least a month.

Visit site
The whole subject is a can of worms.....and we are reading about batteries all the time nowadays, cars, mobile phones, golf trolleys, e-bikes, the list goes on.
I think quality is an issue, and maybe we are in for a huge shock if (and when) an e-bike (or something similar) sets fire in a block of flats, and cannot be put out.
I'm sure Insurance companies must be looking closely into the whole subject as I write.......
For me, I would not leave a lithium battery charging overnight.........well if I did or had to, I wouldn't relax! Be careful!!

Bratty

Visit site
I leave my mobile device on charge overnight sometimes, because I believe its battery/charger to be far safer than dodgy e-scooters.
I may be wrong, but hey...

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
So the European standards mark is not worth a carrot as it’s self regulating what a scam!
I was shocked too. If I recall from something else they did, they’re a further standard that is directly assessed and an audit on manufacturing standards is performed. This is what main manufacturers sign up to but even then there’s always a small risk.

In the end of the day the stats of a fire are small and I’d say most of us leave all sorts of lithium batteries on charge from laptops to phones. I’m sure you’ll recall the cheap charger plug fires that weren’t made to standard a few years back.

On another note. I don’t know if you watch the beginning of that video but they mention the amount of bikes that are on Amazon that are not even U.K. legal! It just goes to show how far the standards have fallen behind the digital economy.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I leave my mobile device on charge overnight sometimes, because I believe its battery/charger to be far safer than dodgy e-scooters.
I may be wrong, but hey...
Nope you’re not. I now way apple products they have efficient software charging which uses certain times of day to fully charge and trickle charge to around 95% at other times.

It’s all advancing very quick and in a couple of years you won’t hear of it. Remember the last time radiation risks were mentioned for mobile phones?

Bratty

Visit site
Nope you’re not. I now way apple products they have efficient software charging which uses certain times of day to fully charge and trickle charge to around 95% at other times.

It’s all advancing very quick and in a couple of years you won’t hear of it. Remember the last time radiation risks were mentioned for mobile phones?
I well remember the radiation risks being mentioned. Mainly because with my third ear, I hear everything. 🤣🤣

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was shocked too. If I recall from something else they did, they’re a further standard that is directly assessed and an audit on manufacturing standards is performed. This is what main manufacturers sign up to but even then there’s always a small risk.

In the end of the day the stats of a fire are small and I’d say most of us leave all sorts of lithium batteries on charge from laptops to phones. I’m sure you’ll recall the cheap charger plug fires that weren’t made to standard a few years back.

On another note. I don’t know if you watch the beginning of that video but they mention the amount of bikes that are on Amazon that are not even U.K. legal! It just goes to show how far the standards have fallen behind the digital economy.
Yes .
but I think a laptop or phone fire can be sorted by any reasonably competent person , as long as your not asleep and catch it in time.
but a bike or car fire is a different animal altogether.
putting them out is near impossible especially a car.

Genu9

Visit site
The whole subject is a can of worms.....and we are reading about batteries all the time nowadays, cars, mobile phones, golf trolleys, e-bikes, the list goes on.
I think quality is an issue, and maybe we are in for a huge shock if (and when) an e-bike (or something similar) sets fire in a block of flats, and cannot be put out.
I'm sure Insurance companies must be looking closely into the whole subject as I write.......
For me, I would not leave a lithium battery charging overnight.........well if I did or had to, I wouldn't relax! Be careful!!
We are sleep walking into a major issue with lithium batteries, not just from fires but also from a disposal point of view. EV's aren't the panacea they are being touted as, but it keeps the 'greenies' quiet. Freemantle Highway managed to drop out of the news very quickly, didn't fit with the agenda.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
We are sleep walking into a major issue with lithium batteries, not just from fires but also from a disposal point of view. EV's aren't the panacea they are being touted as, but it keeps the 'greenies' quiet. Freemantle Highway managed to drop out of the news very quickly, didn't fit with the agenda.
Don't agree.
The battery in an EV is the most expensive part of the car, you think manufacturers are just going to throw them away?
Ev batteries are being re-cycled for home storage, charging stations and new batteries.
And as for Freemantle Highway....

"Peter Berdowski, CEO, Boskalis Salvage Company told local Dutch press that the 500 EVs are among the 1,000 vehicles that “seem to be in good condition” and are “perfectly movable”.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Yes .
but I think a laptop or phone fire can be sorted by any reasonably competent person , as long as your not asleep and catch it in time.
but a bike or car fire is a different animal altogether.
putting them out is near impossible especially a car.
Without the data in front of me I wonder how many cars have combusted due to electrical faults. I’d reckon it’s more than due to battery.