Care of lithium batteries during prolonged layoff

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
We have 2 lithium golf trolley batteries in this house, the version you charge after use, then unplug.

As they have not been used since mid December, I’ve just put them back on charge. Normally they are fine if only used once a week, but have certainly discharged over the layoff.

What have the rest of you learned folk been doing (if anything) regarding battery care?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's a good point. Mine was fully charged, back in October I think, and has just been abandoned in my garage. May be time to plug it back in, and hope it's OK.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have 2 lithium golf trolley batteries in this house, the version you charge after use, then unplug.

As they have not been used since mid December, I’ve just put them back on charge. Normally they are fine if only used once a week, but have certainly discharged over the layoff.

What have the rest of you learned folk been doing (if anything) regarding battery care?

From motocaddy

How should I store my battery if I am not playing for a while?
If you are not planning on playing golf for a number of weeks, it is advised to store the battery half charged. To do this, simply use the battery for a round of golf as usual and charge it for 1.5 hours at the end of the round. Before the battery is used again, recharge it (top it up) prior to use. If it is not possible to leave the battery half charged (for example, during an unplanned break), storing it fully charged would be the next best option. It is not recommended to leave an uncharged battery for extended periods as this may reduce the potential maximum capacity. For further information, please read the "Recommendations for hibernation of Lithium Batteries" section below.

Recommendations for hibernation of Lithium Batteries
If for any reason your Lithium battery is not going to be used for lengthy periods, e.g. several weeks over the winter, it is advised to store the battery half charged. To do this, simply use the battery for a round of golf as usual and charge it for 1.5 hours at the end of the round. Before the battery is used again, recharge it (top it up) prior to use.

We recognise that extended absences are not always planned in advance, however when it is likely that you will not be using your battery for a period of time it is good practice to follow these steps to extend the life of your Lithium battery.

If it is not possible to leave the battery half charged (for example, during an unplanned absence from golf), storing it fully charged would be the next best option. It is not recommended to leave an uncharged battery for extended periods of time as this may reduce the potential maximum capacity. Please ensure that the charger is ALWAYS disconnected from the battery after charging.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I leave mine charged, and when I knwo we are going to beack on the course I'll plug it back into the charger and leave it there as I always do.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Oddly enough and I don’t know why but I have charged it a few times since November.