Lifting my left heel

iwtuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just back from a lesson, and the Pro pointed out that I have a tendency to lift my left heel on my backswing. He got me loading up the inside of the left foot correctly, but it feels so wierd; I really want to lift the heel instead. Any tips / drills on how I can start to grain this in, other than "just keep bl**dy practising"? :) :D

Thanks,
Ian

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Just back from a lesson, and the Pro pointed out that I have a tendency to lift my left heel on my backswing.

Understandable, Jack Nicklaus used to do this and it didn't work out for him either

iwtuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just back from a lesson, and the Pro pointed out that I have a tendency to lift my left heel on my backswing.

Understandable, Jack Nicklaus used to do this and it didn't work out for him either

Indeed....however I think that he had a small modicum of natural talent whereas I am just simply crap!

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
I believe MA Jiminez does this as well, as an older gentleman it allows him more shoulder turn on his backswing.

iwtuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I believe MA Jiminez does this as well, as an older gentleman it allows him more shoulder turn on his backswing.

I was told that lifting the heel lessens the amount of coil you produce, as keeping the foot level and loading the inside on the back-swing provides more of a resistance to the shoulder turn, which makes sense I suppose. However, as "an older gentleman" of 46 perhaps I should plead my case to the Pro!

iwtuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Indeed Bob....it just feels really restrictive at the moment when keeping the foot flat, although in all fairness, he did actually say that would be the case. Just seems totally unnatural, but hey, what do I know! :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I can only GUESS that your pro is trying to keep you more centered over the ball, lifting the left heel can lead to too much weight moving backwards on the backswing, too much side-to-side movement and inconsistency. I'd stick with it and see where you get in 3 or 4 weeks.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I read that lifting the left heel is a good thing provided you do it for the right reason and that you dont over do it.

My understanding is that most people are not supple enough to complete a full backswing (where your back is facing down the fairway). To eek that last bit of turn it is sometimes necessary to lift the heel of the left foot.

Your pro might have spotted you lifting your left heel early and not for the reason above.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
My understanding is that most people are not supple enough to complete a full backswing (where your back is facing down the fairway). To eek that last bit of turn it is sometimes necessary to lift the heel of the left foot.

Your pro might have spotted you lifting your left heel early and not for the reason above.

Yep, there's lots of reasons, some people use 'planting' the heel as a trigger for the downswing so I can only make assumptions and advise that he runs with his pros suggestions... or ASK him why the heel shouldn't come up! More communication 'tween player and pro methinks.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's to do with coil and creating resistance between the upper and lower body.

Fine if you're young and supple, but .....

It's the way some pros teach. Irrespective of whether it's the best thing for you.

I wouldn't take it as gospel myself. If you don't like it talk to another pro. Some pros teach what their pupil needs. Some pros expect all their pupils to learn what they teach.

Make sure your guy is one of the former.

Look at this : Woods vs Vijay

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

It's the way some pros teach. Irrespective of whether it's the best thing for you.

I wouldn't take it as gospel myself. If you don't like it talk to another pro. Some pros teach what their pupil needs. Some pros expect all their pupils to learn what they teach.

As a believer in getting a decent hip turn I think the best way is to lift the heel if necessary, provided you stay over the ball and it's not a result of a huge slide to the right.

Interesting in that video that Vijay one minute is saving himself by opening his hips and the next minute he's nearly folded himself in half! :p

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

As a believer in getting a decent hip turn I think the best way is to lift the heel if necessary, provided you stay over the ball and it's not a result of a huge slide to the right.

Interesting in that video that Vijay one minute is saving himself by opening his hips and the next minute he's nearly folded himself in half! :p

I'm not saying either is right, but last year I spoke to a pro who taught EVERYONE to keep their left heel down, irrespective of age, experience, talent, suppleness etc.

I didn't trust him for more than 1 lesson.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'd rather see the heel stay down but like I said IF NECESSARY then I wouldn't have a problem with it raising to aid the hip turn. All that 'resist with the hips' is rubbish to me I'm afraid :)