Lifting my left heel

iwtuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
... or ASK him why the heel shouldn't come up! More communication 'tween player and pro methinks.

I did ask, and he did tell me why is shouldn't come up, as per one of my earlier posts in the thread. However, what I didn't ask was if there was a drill of some kind I could utilize to try and grain the feeling in, other than doing again and again!
:D

iwtuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Homer,

Lessons were a generous birthday present from the wife - I'm at Mill Ride with Russell. I have no complaints whatsoever with him, he's a good guy, seems to talk a lot of sense, and I get along well with him.

I can certainly see why the left heel "issue" costs me distance and also causes the odd top as it raises my head on the back-swing too much on occasion, and, out of curiosity, wondered if anyone had been given that advice, and how did they ingrain it into their swing; simply because it feels so damn alien!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know of Russell although haven't used him personally but he does teach a few of the Ascot members. I only asked as I was going to a local range this afternoon (not going out and getting everything soaked before a 36 hole comp tomorrow) and if it was Lavender Park (which I thought it might have been) I was going to drop it into a conversation with the guys up there (who I know well) and see if I could get an answer as to what its all about

iwtuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Practice hitting balls standing only on your left leg for a while.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhY2sQlTRx0

Thanks JustOne - he hits the ball better on one leg than I do on two! Will definitely give that a try at the range next time, even though it does look rather strange!

I know of Russell although haven't used him personally but he does teach a few of the Ascot members. I only asked as I was going to a local range this afternoon (not going out and getting everything soaked before a 36 hole comp tomorrow) and if it was Lavender Park (which I thought it might have been) I was going to drop it into a conversation with the guys up there (who I know well) and see if I could get an answer as to what its all about

I use LP to hit some balls now and again Homer, as it's only about 2 minutes away, but never had a lesson there, although a couple of friends did before going to Pine Ridge.

Visit site
Hi Homer,

Lessons were a generous birthday present from the wife - I'm at Mill Ride with Russell. I have no complaints whatsoever with him, he's a good guy, seems to talk a lot of sense, and I get along well with him.

I can certainly see why the left heel "issue" costs me distance and also causes the odd top as it raises my head on the back-swing too much on occasion, and, out of curiosity, wondered if anyone had been given that advice, and how did they ingrain it into their swing; simply because it feels so damn alien!
Yep, from the resident Pro on here :)

It definitely feels weird... I've got it planted on irons now but it still slips to a slight lift with the driver now and again and I think I feel the slight body sway as well which feels awful now!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Homer,

Yep, from the resident Pro on here :)

It definitely feels weird... I've got it planted on irons now but it still slips to a slight lift with the driver now and again and I think I feel the slight body sway as well which feels awful now!

I hope it's helping :D

S

Snelly

It didn't cost Jack Nicklaus any distance and I think you are placing too much emphasis on the effect that lifting your left heel is having on your swing.

Jack explains in his instruction books that stamping down his left heel on the downswing helps him to transfer the weight from right to left through the hitting area thus generating power into the ball.

I find this much more believable than what you are saying about losing power, coil etc.