Letting people play through on the 18th!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Playing with a mate yesterday, hit our drives on the 17th and as we got to our balls, we noticed a ladies 4 ball finishing up ahead on the green.

Mate says 'blimey, they are slow, I saw them on the 12th as we were playing the 6th!"

We finished the hole, and as we walked to the 18th tee, we could see them on the 18th fairway. I said to my mate "that's not too bad, they are only going to hold us up on one hole".

Next thing they have all stood to the side and are waving us through. We played through, thanked them as we went past, and had a nice little chat with them for a minute or two.

All well and good, but I couldn't help thinking they had held themselves up for 10 minutes or more, just to avoid holding us up for a couple of minutes.

Are there any circumstances when you would wave someone through on the 18th other than if you are looking for a lost ball?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
All credit to them! I must admit when we get to the 18th rather than let people through I think we tend to just crack on, finish the round and get to the clubhouse.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It has to be what jdp said :D

Joking apart on Saturday I was in a 4bbb comp, last group, and we had let 3 groups of 2 balls through. We reached the 17th and perhaps could have let the next 2 ball through but we unanimously decided that by the 17th it was pointless and would delay us more than necessary at that stage. I know if I was being delayed on the 17th I would not expect to get through and it really would not bother me. How much of a delay can there be at that stage, unless Mr Speith is looking for a ruling of course. Letting someone through on the 18th is beyond what is expected, fair play to them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
happens quite often at Nairn off the blue tee, 550 with a very narrow gap though some pine tree's.

apart from these comp days, you tend to find the group that has held you up for 17 holes suddenly gets a shift on and it then looks like its you that has held the whole field up:(

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe they wanted you to go through, so it looked like you were the slow ones when you finished out on 18, and were holding them up.:whistle:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
.....you tend to find the group that has held you up for 17 holes suddenly gets a shift on and it then looks like its you that has held the whole field up:(

Ha, yes, after hours of plodding suddenly a sprint up 18 leaving the following group half a whole back. Seen it occasionally also.