Let's tax pensioners

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-44029808

Because the young are struggling to find their footing in life there should be a tax on pensioners over and above what they already pay. Note, already pay. Those pensioners who have already been prudent in life, and have generated their nest eg, already pay tax.

But let's go back to when today's current pensioners were starting out. Many didn't have a car, let alone being a 2 car family. Many didn't have holidays, let alone foreign holidays. Many bought a falling down terraced house, and refurbed it, then bought a semi and then bought a detached. A weekend away in Amsterdam? What were they? A stag/hen 'do' in Benidorm? A few beers in town more like.

Just how far will this 'entitlement' that is expected by the young and promoted for the young extend?

Sorry but get off your ar5e and work for those things. Grab every bit of overtime you can. Get a second job to buy the luxuries.

I cycled 12 miles to work, not through choice. We went 7 years before having our first holiday. We bought our first detached house in my 40's, and I've had decent jobs all my working life. Being really comfortable didn't happen till I was mortgage free.

DCB

Visit site
"Inter-generational fairness" who comes up with these titles ?

Agree with the Hobbit's sentiments, if you want it bad enough you work hard for it. £10k for a deposit at 25 ...... you're having a laugh 😠

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"Inter-generational fairness" who comes up with these titles ?

Agree with the Hobbit's sentiments, if you want it bad enough you work hard for it. £10k for a deposit at 25 ...... you're having a laugh 😠

Not only is it a bad idea it’s also unrealistic .. 10k would not only not be enough for a deposit in most cases wouldn’t it also just put house prices up as more people could afford to buy than now just increasing demand for property’s

DCB

Visit site
At 25 the person is relatively new to the workplace. They may not be on that great a wage / salary, how are they expected to save the remainder of the deposit. As for house prices rising, that will just cause the price to rocket on almost every starter home/ flat in the country.

As for an additional "tax" on the older population, that is just plain robbery. In a generation that was sold the myth of retiring at 55, and planned accordingly, it can only be seen as punishment for forward planning and investing in a private or company pension.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-44029808

Because the young are struggling to find their footing in life there should be a tax on pensioners over and above what they already pay. Note, already pay. Those pensioners who have already been prudent in life, and have generated their nest eg, already pay tax.

But let's go back to when today's current pensioners were starting out. Many didn't have a car, let alone being a 2 car family. Many didn't have holidays, let alone foreign holidays. Many bought a falling down terraced house, and refurbed it, then bought a semi and then bought a detached. A weekend away in Amsterdam? What were they? A stag/hen 'do' in Benidorm? A few beers in town more like.

Just how far will this 'entitlement' that is expected by the young and promoted for the young extend?

Sorry but get off your ar5e and work for those things. Grab every bit of overtime you can. Get a second job to buy the luxuries.

I cycled 12 miles to work, not through choice. We went 7 years before having our first holiday. We bought our first detached house in my 40's, and I've had decent jobs all my working life. Being really comfortable didn't happen till I was mortgage free.

Absolutely spot on as usual Brian :thup:

Let's take it from those who've worked for it, saved it, managed it and let's give it to those who just whine about it. who will be monitoring where this £10,000 gets spent or will it just be frittered on Stag/Hen dos, holidays, mobiles, iPads or up the wall on a Saturday night?

I've no issue paying more NI for the NHS as long as all the recipients of the service do the same; God knows it needs it and if you are in any doubt read This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay.

If we are looking for a better idea, why don't we promote some of these pensioners who have proved their ability to balance their books and let them look after the NHS budget; surely they can't do any worse than the current suggestion?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The young are so hard done by, we had it easy!

Only, I did my first paid job when I was 10 years old, went to work full time at 15 years 4 months old and never had a penny in benefits other than family allowance for my one child. Paid, I guess, an average of 10% mortgage rate over it's life. Worked an average 55 to 60 hours a week. Did all my own decorating and house maintenance, had a holiday entitlement of 3 weeks a year, no protected employment rights for much if the time I worked for others. Couldn't take parental leave or go to the school nativity or sports day - they'd have laughed at the request!

Yep, it was an easy life for us oldies 😁

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
We used to lick t’road clean with our tongues and live int cardbox box.....luxury😂

Agree with the above, but it is a different ball game nowadays, go back 40 years and someone on average salary could afford to buy a house which would cost about 3 or 4 times salary.

Nowadays it’s nearer 8 times average salary,(certainly in the south east) most young people end up renting, those that can buy can only do so if they get a handout from the bank of Mum n dad or an inheritance from granny. Or their work qualifies them for special help.

I’m lucky, I have a decent pension, but the pension landscape has changed , my fear is that today’s youngsters will have insufficient pensions to cover their rent after retirement

The system has changed and the system is broken

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At the age of 25 I had already done 10 years work, never had a holiday [exc. visiting relatives], never owned a car and was another 10 years away from owning a house.
Aye, I had it easy compared to todays 25 year olds.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
At the age of 25 I had already done 10 years work, never had a holiday [exc. visiting relatives], never owned a car and was another 10 years away from owning a house.
Aye, I had it easy compared to todays 25 year olds.

Funny too that we didn't blame our parents 😀

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As someone in their 50's, I see both sides of the arguement. I wont get a final salary pension, when I get to retire which currently is 67.
I took Maggies advise and took out a private pension aged 21 which Mr Brown decided was too much and took a third of it in one swipe of his pen. I have worked all my life from 16 and own my own home the value of which is stupid.
For young people there is very little to look forward to, and just as when you're old you have to sell that house and everything you own to fund your own care home accomodation, it's those who have prepared that are penalised and those who haven't or have nothing that are cattered for.

Life isn't fair, especially in modern Britain, but fighting ones own corner isn't really going to help anyone. Everyone needs to help each other, but sdaly I doubt that will ever happen because we only ever think of how wonderful things were and of ourselves.

D

Deleted member 21258

We used to lick t’road clean with our tongues and live int cardbox box.....luxury

Agree with the above, but it is a different ball game nowadays, go back 40 years and someone on average salary could afford to buy a house which would cost about 3 or 4 times salary.

Nowadays it’s nearer 8 times average salary,(certainly in the south east) most young people end up renting, those that can buy can only do so if they get a handout from the bank of Mum n dad or an inheritance from granny. Or their work qualifies them for special help.

I’m lucky, I have a decent pension, but the pension landscape has changed , my fear is that today’s youngsters will have insufficient pensions to cover their rent after retirement

The system has changed and the system is broken

Completely agree, buying a house and pension/retirement age is completely different to 'back then'.:thup:

You do not start full time work until 18 now(by law) and you are only talking by a few years. There is many a PAYE person who retired in their early 50s I know(now say 60 plus) but can you see this still going on and going forward. Personally I would much rather start work at 16 and retire earlier, when you still may have your health with a nice pension like I have seen with many people.

Buying goods etc, is hard to compare across eras, because technology advancements mean they are a lot cheaper relative to salaries, credit is also more freely available in this era than 30-50 years ago.

And to be brutally honest, all generations upto date (young, middles aged and old) have not paid enough............its in black/white its called the national debt (and don't forget to add on/accrued for pension liabilities/services that have been guaranteed )

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its easy to also forget that the issue of pensions reform has been kicked down the road by almost every single Government for as long as I am alive, so whilst its easy to say "when I was a lad..." the fact that the elephant in the room was ignored for tha last 50 or so years doesn't really help the younger person now.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
For me the beginning of the end stared in the late 70’s/early 80’s with the fundamental changes to Britain’s social housing and pensions

The actual concepts behind these changes (Right to Buy & Private Pensions) weren’t the main issue but the lackadaisical (even criminal) way these changes were permitted to be implemented (under the guise of Greed is Good) is a tragedy that will be felt for several generations

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me the beginning of the end stared in the late 70’s/early 80’s with the fundamental changes to Britain’s social housing and pensions

The actual concepts behind these changes (Right to Buy & Private Pensions) weren’t the main issue but the lackadaisical (even criminal) way these changes were permitted to be implemented (under the guise of Greed is Good) is a tragedy that will be felt for several generations
Being one of those to take out a private pension back then, the reason was that we were all told that by the time "we" reached retirement age there wouldnt be any money to give us a half decent standard of living. So in that respect, you were only trying to look after yourself in older age and making provision. Sadly now though it seems that it was all a waste of money.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Being one of those to take out a private pension back then, the reason was that we were all told that by the time "we" reached retirement age there wouldnt be any money to give us a half decent standard of living. So in that respect, you were only trying to look after yourself in older age and making provision. Sadly now though it seems that it was all a waste of money.

That’s part of what I mean about the implementation

With waiting time for council housing lengthening to stupid timescales almost overnight as availability/housing stock dried up we were forced down the mortgage route coupled with ‘mandatory’ pensions and exorbitant mortgage insurances I can well remember even for a new tiny one-bed lego flat at just 24k the financial outlays near crippled 2 working adults

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s part of what I mean about the implementation

With waiting time for council housing lengthening to stupid timescales almost overnight as availability/housing stock dried up we were forced down the mortgage route coupled with ‘mandatory’ pensions and exorbitant mortgage insurances I can well remember even for a new tiny one-bed lego flat at just 24k the financial outlays near crippled 2 working adults
Agreed. You could also argue that the "older" person now is part responsible for the stupid house prices younger persons cant even hope to afford, having driven them up in their search for that next "trophy" house.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Agreed. You could also argue that the "older" person now is part responsible for the stupid house prices younger persons cant even hope to afford, having driven them up in their search for that next "trophy" house.

Yup, I’ll go along with that

If you bought your council house and bought shares in BT, gas & leccy then today's mess is all your fault, thanks for now’t
:angry: