Lessons

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Quite a simple question

How many on here go for lessons

Is it a one off ? Regular visits ? Needed for major change or to start the game up ?

I have never had a lesson - I have read a lot in magazines and tried things out on the range and see what works for me

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went for 6 lessons between December and April to do the swing changes I put up in the ask the experts section. Think I've had four since then. One of those was short game. I am trying to go every couple of three months just to get him to keep an eye on things from here on in

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had 3 in January, and having 3 currently. Just got home from the 2nd one and it's the best money I've spent on golf gubbins all year. Simple and logical advice to follow which with the practice put in, will hopefully pay off.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've never had a paid one.
Had a free 30 minute one when I joined a club in '93 that lasted about 10.
Not a good practicer and if you have lessons you have to put the graft in to make it worthwhile.
Had a few tips from Pros I've known down the years but no formal sessions.

D

Deleted member 17920

Had 1 lesson with Pete Cowan 12 years ago and he ruined my game for an entire season so I haven't bothered since, it's just got the stage where I think I need some pointers about my balance so I think I may book a 30 min session.

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've only been playing a few months. I began at the range where I sort of developed my own swing to a point where I was hitting them straight but distance was not great (e.g. driver 140 yds.). Went and had my first lesson two weeks ago in an attempt to get better distance. The teaching pro tried to get me to swing 'properly', which only resulted in more mis-hits and slices. Tried his way on the golf course last week, lost more balls than usual, and only got more frustrated as a result. I've now decided that big hitting isn't essential to me so I've gone back to my way of doing it and am hitting them straight again.

I know it takes time to adjust to changes but I don't like getting annoyed with myself and I can't afford to lose that many balls each time out.

Last edited:

Laka

Head Pro
Visit site
winter is a good time for lessons and indoor trining in sweden. We have been a group with an pro. He has been very good and in steps explained the keys in an golfswing and slowly have I get an mental picture how the swing is functioned. there is of course one other thing if my stiff body and age can achive the necessary movements. but it doesnt get worse.

One can train hours and hours and get nowhere if you dont have anyone correcting and explaining how you can improve....also filming so you can see for yourself.....it can be painful though:lol:

I go for lessons seven days a week...and are thankful that we have been lucky to have such a talent pro

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Regular lessons with the same coach for the past 3 years. Regularity epends on whether we're working on a change (off season) or ticking over/checks (during the season) or if I've broken something. Averages 1 a month I'd say. Works for me and reached a handicap I could only dream of in that time with plenty of scope for getting lower.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
The thing about having lessons is that you need to trust they will improve your game and work though the initial bad spell that tends to follow changes.

LewisR

Medal Winner
Visit site
I started out with a block of 3 lessons and now have one a month to check up on how I'm swinging and try to get rid of any bad habits I have picked up. I only started golf around July so lessons seemed like a good investment to (try to) catch up to the level my friends play at.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went to my pro as a complete beginner last year having never even picked up a golf club before. Can't see me finishing the group lessons (only three of us in group) anytime soon as I want to be the best that I can be. They're also a bargain price imo.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had 3 one hour lessons early in the year and now I would just look for an mot lesson every so often

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got to a 14 handicap from reading books and surfing the net and just general fiddling...... I had an out to in swing path that on a good day was fine but i was sick of hitting pulls and slices when i least expected them.... I decided in October last year to take 2 blocks of 4 half hour lessons with a local Pro.....

He looked at everything (which i thought ) and we set about a change of swing plane from out to in to...In to out......
It took me the bones of 6 months and lots of range work to even see a hint of being able to hit the ball on the inside..... I spent 10 solid weeks hitting shanks that i had no idea when were going to surface in a round or for how long......

Eventually the shanks settled to just an odd one every now and again..... Iv lost 5 shots off my handicap this season and im now off of 9.....
Did the lessons work?
Im not really sure... To a point i would say yes...And on paper maybe another yes but i still know that i have (a) A posture issue and (b) an early extension issue.....
Both maybe related to the same fault.... Im now adiment that this is my goal for the winter which is to address these.....

I went back 3 weeks ago for another lesson.. This time with the driver..... Its apparent that im coming back inside too early after i hit the ball instead of the classic down the line view you see with most good players when recorded from behind their swing......

Was my posture pointed out to me in any of my lessons.....No.....
Why?... I have no clue......

I believe that i got to 9 this season because of my short game and a weird ability to be able to get the club back on nearly the original shaft plane at address.....Even this baffled JustOne...:lol:

Anyway my Pro gave me a drill to work on to improve the path but im sure that if i cure the posture and Early Extension then the swingpath will take care of itself.....Suffice to say he doesnt want to see me again until the end of January in the New year...... He knows ill put the work in........
I know that once i sort this ill have a repeatable reliable swing that i wont have to tinker with every year and i con concentrate on getting to Cat 1....

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had 1 lesson with Pete Cowan 12 years ago and he ruined my game for an entire season so I haven't bothered since, it's just got the stage where I think I need some pointers about my balance so I think I may book a 30 min session.

Do tell:) I am genuinely interested though how a world famous coach has affected you game so badly. Anyway I get them through college FOC as often as I like so not an issue for me. I go at least once a week to work on something. When not at college I usually go every couple of months

davidg2010uk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Planning on getting lessons Jan/Feb next year as I feel i'm constantly fighting the hooks. Also my wedge play was pretty poor this year, real struggled to get wedge shots close.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Had a dozen lessons twenty odd years ago and over the years afterwards when I played regularly I could fix most little bits which were wrong just by going back to basics.

Only played three or four stroke play competitive rounds each year for the last seven years and doubt I’d played more than ten rounds a year in that period until this year.

Went to Portugal (Penina) with the missus in September and played four days on the trot for first time in a decade - that brought back my enthusiasm for making time to play and I got out as much as possible in the month afterwards.

To be honest I was awful and while I could have lived with that when only playing occasionally it frustrated the hell out of me - so I booked three lessons.

First one consisted of getting my posture sorted and it was torture - largely because the way I set up was so bad that we didn’t do anything with the swing at all and I spent the week until the next lesson spraying it all over the place while practicing.

Second lesson made a massive difference, we sorted the swing out a bit and I now know where the club should be and that it feels much different to my natural swing - still had bad shots but the good ones included half a dozen where there was no effort and the ball went a good thirty yards further than normal on those.

Had third lesson yesterday refining it a bit more and went out to play nine holes afterwards - didn’t hit it massively well but played within my handicap easily, by playing conservatively, not lashing at anything, and not taking on anything I shouldn’t, short game was poor but full shots were OK - if you’d said to me a month ago I could play nine holes without getting into major trouble and screwing up a hole at least once I’d have laughed.

Still a long way to go and I’ve booked another lesson in three weeks time.

I’m not confident with what I’m doing yet but I can see that it should be much better in the long run - if I put in the work.