Lessons... They work.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been struggling a bit towards the end of this season. In frustration I booked a course of lessons with a PGA pro at the simulator place opposite my work.

A 1 hour lesson, some drills to work on at home, and 1 practice session later and on Sunday I went out and shot gross 73 (par 70, sss69). I'm an 11 hcap who has been struggling for form.

Second lesson today and I am excited to keep working.

Lessons, they work. Cheaper than new clubs too.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been struggling a bit towards the end of this season. In frustration I booked a course of lessons with a PGA pro at the simulator place opposite my work.

A 1 hour lesson, some drills to work on at home, and 1 practice session later and on Sunday I went out and shot gross 73 (par 70, sss69). I'm an 11 hcap who has been struggling for form.

Bandit alert! !!!!!!

Nice round :thup:

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great round of golf Stuey, :fore:im looking for a sub par round from you after two lessons. :p

any little tips you care to pass on .?

For me, it was all about getting my hips turning better. I had developed a big lunge/sway forward without realising. Some drills to get my hips turning and clearing out the way and the improvement is huge!

Sub-par after 2 lessons? Hope so... European Tour by the spring :thup: ;)

Trini swinger

Medal Winner
Visit site
Some much better comps out there other than The Trilby Tour. Try looking at golfempires website to see whats around. First year Trilby Tour started was 150 quid, some proper quality Callaway bags, and all golf was played on decent tracks. Now its 285 quid, crap "howson' type bags and clothes, and played on some cabbage patches owned by De Vere or Marriott. Just my opinion for what its worth.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

Wash your mouth out ya heretic, there is NO substitute for new shinies, none I tell you!! :whistle:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Some much better comps out there other than The Trilby Tour. Try looking at golfempires website to see whats around. First year Trilby Tour started was 150 quid, some proper quality Callaway bags, and all golf was played on decent tracks. Now its 285 quid, crap "howson' type bags and clothes, and played on some cabbage patches owned by De Vere or Marriott. Just my opinion for what its worth.

Oops....the joke appears to have gone straight over your head :confused:

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wash your mouth out ya heretic, there is NO substitute for new shinies, none I tell you!! :whistle:

I know I know...

I've blown a lot of cash on clubs with a revolving door policy over the last couple of years, but all that stopped this year when I got fitted for my titleist driver fairway and hybrid at the start of the season. Haven't even looked at another club since. Been in love with my irons since I got them a year ago, wedges are going fine and so is the putter.

Sold all my "spare" clubs so I just have to stick with what I've got now, it's all quality gear and I am finally content with it.

Quest for single figures starts now. I should start a blog ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Lessons will work for some - not a size fits all

Seen enough go for lessons then play horrific golf

Congrats on the round - nice cut and will be interesting to see how you get on over the next couple of months

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lessons will work for some - not a size fits all

Seen enough go for lessons then play horrific golf

Congrats on the round - nice cut and will be interesting to see how you get on over the next couple of months
I know, and am aware you are self taught.

Unfortunately it was in a match against the in laws, so no cut, just family bragging rights.

Some more good work in my lesson at lunch time today. Looking forward to practicing then getting out there in winter league next weekend.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know I know...

I've blown a lot of cash on clubs with a revolving door policy over the last couple of years, but all that stopped this year when I got fitted for my titleist driver fairway and hybrid at the start of the season. Haven't even looked at another club since. Been in love with my irons since I got them a year ago, wedges are going fine and so is the putter.

Sold all my "spare" clubs so I just have to stick with what I've got now, it's all quality gear and I am finally content with it.

Quest for single figures starts now. I should start a blog ;)

We sound like twins :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Fantastic. Keep the good work up. I'm a big advocate of lessons, but you have to work hard on the drills and make sure old faults don't slip back. Some mighty good shooting

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Fantastic. Keep the good work up. I'm a big advocate of lessons, but you have to work hard on the drills and make sure old faults don't slip back. Some mighty good shooting

Hmm, you've had I think I read 7 lessons this year, you play regularly and I've read and seen that you practice a lot also, so, the question beckons, whilst you may be an advocate, do lessons work for you?

Could it be that some Pro's lean too much towards "text book" methods and as we're all various shapes & sizes we simply won't master those methods or techniques, as such, once the fundermentals are established can just finding what works for you just be as beneficial and enjoyable irrelevant of how it looks, after all, it's all about the score at the end, not a physical display, and hey, you never know, you might get down to single figures 😎

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hmm, you've had I think I read 7 lessons this year, you play regularly and I've read and seen that you practice a lot also, so, the question beckons, whilst you may be an advocate, do lessons work for you?

Could it be that some Pro's lean too much towards "text book" methods and as we're all various shapes & sizes we simply won't master those methods or techniques, as such, once the fundermentals are established can just finding what works for you just be as beneficial and enjoyable irrelevant of how it looks, after all, it's all about the score at the end, not a physical display, and hey, you never know, you might get down to single figures 😎

Sorry. Valid questions but I've done this to death on here. I have improved and will continue to do so and happy with my tuition, and now the short game has started to come (and stay) happy I'll be better in 2016.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry. Valid questions but I've done this to death on here. I have improved and will continue to do so and happy with my tuition, and now the short game has started to come (and stay) happy I'll be better in 2016.

No you won't. No chance:eek: I'm all for positivity but there's got to be some evidence of progression.
I quite enjoy lessons, I enjoy trying to understand my swing. I've had one this winter. I'll probably have 2-3 more. I don't expect to improve straight away, but I expect reduce the damage of my bad shots.