Lessons

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’m 50 and have been playing quite a lot lately, when work allows. Have played very intermittently for 30 years, with long periods off. Havent got a hcap but probably around 20 in reality. Had my first lesson in a couple of years last weekend and it was not nice. Most things were wrong (stance, backswing, hip movement) and I ached afterwards from doing things differently. I like the coach and don’t want to simply look for a different one. Can’t decide whether to persevere with lessons or go back to enjoying playing, with the occasional Mark Crossfield/Rick Shiels YouTube video for support?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lessons with a pro are better than on line tuition as your pro will see what your doing.
Stick with them, change will be slow and feel awkward at first and then see if you can take the changes to the course.
If you post where you live someone might be able to suggest other pros in your area, if you think you'd like a second opionion.

Most of all enjoy.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Enjoy your time with the lessons ..

Don't stress about it sometimes takes time

Some things they do instantly change and click but sometimes can take a few months before second nature (things like practice time, natural ability come in aswell)

My stuff kicked in after lockdown 1 as I didn't swing a club for months. Soon as I returned my driving has never been straighter or longer .. as I can only remember what my pro had taught me all my bad habbits were wiped

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Find a pro you like and trust. They are all different Some are great, some are terrible,and they won't all suite everyone.

If a pro tries to change too much in one session I would seriously question using them again.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Find a pro you like and trust. They are all different Some are great, some are terrible,and they won't all suite everyone.

If a pro tries to change too much in one session I would seriously question using them again.

Defo

When I found one that worked for me after just wasting time for couple years it was simple and effective

3 goals you want short medium and long term

I said something about draw the ball and stop fading so much

He said I'll have you drawing by end of today

1 hour lesson. Simple change of grip and sure enough

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a mate in his 50s and every time he has a lesson he hurts himself. Old bodies don't like doing new things!
Having said that, if you don't change anything, you won't get any better. Maybe have a chat about what he is trying to get you to do and how realistic that is?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the things he asks you to do hurt, then I would tell him that. A decent pro should be able to come up with changes that suit you, not just try and teach you things your body isn't capable of.

D

Deleted member 3432

I have a mate in his 50s and every time he has a lesson he hurts himself. Old bodies don't like doing new things!
Having said that, if you don't change anything, you won't get any better. Maybe have a chat about what he is trying to get you to do and how realistic that is?

Interesting point. A good pro would be asking about and working around any physical limitations the golfer has.

Is your mate trying to change too many things or does he have some physical issues that need worked around?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting point. A good pro would be asking about and working around any physical limitations the golfer has.

Is your mate trying to change too many things or does he have some physical issues that need worked around?
He is a lifelong sportsman, with all the collateral damage that that entails, who would literally injure himself lifting a pint...
The problem is, that having been given a change to work on, he actually goes and works on it diligently. Breakage normally ensues.
He is a keen visitor to the physio, so he knows which bits are worn out. As someone once said, old age comes to us all and brings his friends along...

jmcp

Visit site
I’m 50 and have been playing quite a lot lately, when work allows. Have played very intermittently for 30 years, with long periods off. Havent got a hcap but probably around 20 in reality. Had my first lesson in a couple of years last weekend and it was not nice. Most things were wrong (stance, backswing, hip movement) and I ached afterwards from doing things differently. I like the coach and don’t want to simply look for a different one. Can’t decide whether to persevere with lessons or go back to enjoying playing, with the occasional Mark Crossfield/Rick Shiels YouTube video for support?

It sounds to me like you have found a good pro who is interested in making you a better golfer rather than the pro who just wants to give you a quick fix to resolve your current bad shot, I would stick with him and look upon it as a medium to long term commitment.

Cheers, John