Progress (Number 1)

Cookie

Medal Winner
Visit site
All,

I only joined this forum yesterday, where I posted that I was a genuine 25 HC up until 3-4 weeks ago and have taken on a challenge to get down to scratch as soon as possible, hopefully within 18 months. I appreciate it is a crazy target, and many have tried before, but I am serious about the challenge and am highly dedicated. I have a low boredom threshold and need to keep focused on very high targets, or I seem to lose motivation, hence this challenge I have set myself. To give a little background, I did my A Levels in 3 months as opposed to 2 years, I won a job in banking through a game of poker, and then I started a business with no capital which now turns over several millions per year. This is not bragging or bravado, and I mean that, it is more to illustrate that I tend to do well when I put my mind to things and I prefer to do things differently to others. The only reason I wanted to make this point was to put some background for all the doubters out there who might just sniff at this challenge; I actually will take those who think it is not reachable as a fair point, and I am sure it is those comments which will make me even more motivated when things get tough.

I wanted to thank everyone who commented on my post yesterday, the positive and negative comments were read and taken notice of in equal measure and I genuinely do appreciate it. There were a number of people who mentioned that I should make a note of my progress as they would be interested, and there were a number of people who said that this can become tedious as people list range ball after range ball as if that is interesting to others. For this reason I will keep updates at key points, but I will avoid being too tedious in doing so.

OK - the challenge started at the end of April, when I was hitting rounds from mid-90's to just over 100. At this stage I always felt that I had a competent and natural swing, but that I hadn't put time into learning the fundamentals and how to play the variety of shots which are required to get to a low handicap. I mentioned to someone that I felt I could get down to scratch with time and some lessons, and was laughed at, hence I took this on.

I have had 4 lessons since the end of April, one on general swing technique and spent with irons, two with the driver on rhythm and timing with focus on loosening grip and not trying to grip too hard to control the club, three on the short game and putting, four on further iron work and bunkers.

Over the course of the last three weeks I have hit around 6-7,000 range balls (and I won't go into the huge list I have of how each one flew), have spent around 4-6 hours on the chipping and pitching area, played around 5-6 rounds of 18 holes, and read around 3-4 golf tuition books as well as watching the Pete Cowen Pyramid tutorial DVD.

I should stress that I have genuinely maintained my job through this period, cut down my sleep from 8 to 6 hours per night to buy more time, cut out TV at home, and have maintained a busy social life! I promise that the majority of the rounds above have featured a hangover at the weekend, and practise area work has been spent at lunch times in between meetings.

The majority of focus has been on the swing dynamics and reducing the tendency I had for sideways movement, and a lack of pressure build up in the coil due to a lack of shoulder turn. I have also spent a lot of time with my wedges and now have a much better tempo which creates a more reliable stroke with a predictable distance and a judged flight path. From reading more I have also learnt shots I didn't used to have, such as basic punch shots with the ball at the back of the stance etc.

I realise that I am starting to get into the tedious phase of going into too much detail so I will try and cut it to being more brief now. The other thing I have really focused on after reading psychology book 'Silent Golf Mind', was to create a pre-shot routine. This has REALLY helped with my driver in terms of line up, routine, and also releasing some of the tension before striking the ball.

So - today, the first 9 holes with the pro and has all of this worked? The answer is that a lot of it has worked and I felt like I had made a season's worth of progress in 3 weeks.

I shot : Par - Bogey - Par - Bogey - Four over (long drive went too long and out of bounds, three off the tee) - Bogey - Par - Par (missed a fairly routine putt for birdie) - Par. This was a 7 over par through 9 holes.

The main differences for me were that the swing feels more 'grooved in' now and is really giving more confidence over the ball. The pre-shot routine is really helping with confidence before driving and I am hitting the shot which I visualise more often, which then helps me care more about visualising it in the first place. Putting has a lot of work to be done but only one three putt was acceptable for someone who usually can't judge distance. Irons were consistent and there were more GIR (or just off the edge of the green) than I have ever hit before. Short game has REALLY improved and two of the holes where I hit par were comfortable up and downs.

I realise that a lot more can go wrong over 18 holes but I feel like a different player after today, and it didn't feel like a lucky day but more a result of the hard work. It has filled me with a lot more optimism for the challenge, although I do know that the early progress is easier than the progress you make as you come down into single figures. I asked the pro what HC he felt I was playing at now and he said that I look like a possible 16, but a very definite and safe 18. This is huge progress and I am pleased to have taken a theoretical 7 strokes of the HC in such a short space of time. It has been hard work but I am more dedicated (and possibly obsessed) than ever after today. I appreciate there will be some harder days to come than this, and some nightmare rounds that will probably try and ruin my belief, but I will try and remember how today felt and keep moving forward.

Apologies to anyone I have bored, but I am sure you probably stopped reading at the beginning if so.....and to anyone else who does find it interesting, many thanks for your support.

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I enjoyed reading that so don't aoplogise to me. Your dedication seems to rival John Richardson's. I wish you the very best in your quest and I'm just a bit envious of your forthcoming adventure.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No need to apologise. Very interesting and certainly a different way of approaching it. I thought I hit a lot of balls!!!!!!

If you have a low boredom threshold I guess the only advise I can offer at this stage is speak to your pro etc and find ways of keeping it fresh all the time so you don't feel it is mundane and a chore as I'm guessing that is when you'll get lazy and faults will creep in. Not sure what to suggest in that department but I'm sure you'll crack it. Keep the updates coming

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
Nice update. Good to hear you're off to a good start.

My current golfing goal, like yours, is to get to scratch, so I will be following your posts keenly to see how you're getting on and for some inspiration!

After giving up the game for about 10 years I decided to start playing again and quickly go the golfing bug back. I decided to get serious about it again and was practicing about ten hours per week I reckon and got down to a 2.9 from a 12. It was on the American h/c system though, which is way, way, WAY easier to get your h/c down on. I was also off 6 when I was 13 so had a bit of a head start, but anyways, the reason I say that is one part of your post really jumped out at me in regards to your game plan.

Over the course of the last three weeks I have hit around 6-7,000 range balls (and I won't go into the huge list I have of how each one flew), have spent around 4-6 hours on the chipping and pitching area,

When I got my handicap down I would say 90% of the reason was down to improvements in my short game, mainly my wedge play. While my swing does look different now, my long game is actually not that much better than it was then. I've found that you can put hours and hours of practice and lessons into your swing, and make some big changes that feel monumental out on the range, but the difference those changes actually make to your scoring is minimal.

My wedge play however, could not be more different. Whereas before a mis hit chip could be anything from a thin through the green to a duff that hardly moves, a missed chip for me now is leaving myself a 5-8 footer instead of a 1-3 footer.

Anyways thats just my opinion on what worked for me and you should obviously do what you, and your pro, think is best for you. I just think that if I was in your position I would be dividing my time more like 66% short game and 33% long game if you want to see large improvement in your scoring.

Good luck with your quest and please do keep us all updated.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not impossible by any means.

Very few people would ever be dedicated enough to get anywhere near scratch ever.

Personally if you really want a challenge then I'd make it by the end of the year and try and get to +5 by the next.

Then tour school.

That would be a challenge. Sounds like you have the dedication for it, a bit of talent would help make it easier but I guess no talent would make it more of an achievement.

Scratch in 18 months is ok I guess though.

Cookie

Medal Winner
Visit site
EZprophet: thanks for that - the time on the range has been just grooving in my swing to gain confidence and working on my distances, but I should also have mentioned that I have used a lot of balls practising shorter game work using a 100 yard target and a 60 yard target and practised dialling in using wedge, gap wedge and sand wedge using different swing fullness. I have probably split it 50% wedges and 50% mid iron up to driver. I take the advice though and will work on that. For me getting close for a chance of a putt is great if I am outside 50 yards, but from 50 yards in I am probably now getting close enough for a very good chance of a one putt 60% of the time (interestingly I get length right more than I get line right). this has been a revelation to my game in such a short space of time, I can remember when I didn't even know what to do at 50 yards and would take out the lob wedge for a full swing and thin it 70 yards past the green.

Anyway, the point being is that I do spend time on the range with wedges and practise aim, line up, target and distance a lot. I will bear that in mind though and will gradually shift my patters to those you suggest as my swing becomes more natural and bedded in.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Handicap - 21 - Ban this man from any forum meets until that is reassessed!!!!

Seriously, an enjoyable read Cookie and keep them coming. As someone who has been down that low before Im just back playing. Am back into single figures and aim to get to cat 1 (5.4) before the end of the summer, thought I'd practised a fair bit of late, not a patch it seems lol. Keep it up :)

Achilles

Challenge Tour Pro
www.cirencestergolfclub.co.uk
Great post Cookie and I wish you all the best in your quest. It's posts like yours that make me realise I need to pull my finger out if I want to get my h/c down. If I'm at the club now I tend to want to play a few holes rather than spend the time on the practice ground and whilst I will drop a few balls around the green if it's quiet, I don't think I am dedicating enough time to honing my short game (though I have seen improvement in the last few weeks). Anyway, I look forward to next weeks post when your pro thinks you've knocked another 5 or so shots off your h/c :)

Cookie

Medal Winner
Visit site
To be fair I found it really relaxing - I wasn't just smacking a driver all day, a lot of it was spent on wedges to gain distance and rhythm. I also spent a lot of time getting a routine in place and time just ran away with me.......

I don't think that is sustainable but for the first few weeks I wanted to put more effort into bedding the swing in and just getting to know my distances and clubs.

The effects have been amazing in such a short space of time so it was very much worth the effort.......but that still doesn't answer whether I am mental. Probably.

mymatedan

Visit site
Wow! Lot's of man points if you achieve this Cookie.

I've only just signed up to the forum and reading this makes me totally inspired!

Game on.

Mightymoose

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry if I've missed this somewhere, are you a member of a club and competing in competions?

I just don't understand how your handicap will fall that quickly, if you were say 7 shots (based on 9 holes) less than your handicap, then your handicap would only get cut by 2.8 to 22.2, as you are a category 4 player. Not bad progress, but when you get to category 2 and eventually Cat 1, you only get cut 0.2 and 0.1 respectively, so you will need to get lots of qualifying rounds.

Still good progress so far, and do keep us informed. Like a lot of others, I'm a little jealous of the amount of time you can dedicate to your goal.

Cookie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Mightymoose - you're right, but you can get a handicap revision if you are coming down very quickly and then play well below your HC. The point being that you can be a 25 (as I am on my official club HC) but then play heavily without handing cards in for a while and get yourself down to a standard way below your HC, and the committee can then make that decision to review it. Hopefully this will happen otherwise time wise it will be very hard. The point being made in the forum post was that I played to 7 over through 9, and that the pro felt I was playing around a 16-18, which means if I did get a review right now based on games playing to this standard, it would hopefully come down a lot faster. My aim is to be playing around a 14-15 before I start playing more comps next month.

Let's see.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is not bragging or bravado, and I mean that, it is more to illustrate that I tend to do well when I put my mind to things and I prefer to do things differently to others.

Not bragging or bravado?

If you say so. :D

I'll stop at that.