Lessons and custom fitting - am I on my own here?

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I know what the vast majority of people on here think about having lessons and getting custom fitted for their clubs but I would like to give my experiences of both up to now.

2 years ago I got some redundancy money and thought I would "invest" some in a new driver and while I was there I also got fitted for a 3wood shaft. I have no complaints about the new driver but now and again I take the old [ping g 15] and new driver to the range and I cannot tell any difference between them, I could have saved $300 there, and as for the 3 wood I've had to stop useing it, it's the only club I have that slices off to the right and it's not for lack of practiceing with it. Another $150 waisted.

As for lessons the first experience I had when I was first learning I came away thinking that the most important thing about the swing was weight transfer, hence the first year of playing i was swaying from side to side which didn't do my scores much good. I then moved on to another instructor who I'm sure knew what he was talking about but I didn't. Then I had some more lessons with another instructor who was good at watching me but I never came away with any tips or practice routines.

I know there must be many good instructors out there and lots of custom fitters but they don't seem to have worked for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have been fitted and have bought off the shelf and to be honest both have worked. I have fitted Ping clubs (1.75 degrees upright - green dot) and based on impact board and the monitor they suited my swing perfectly. I can have good days and bad days but it isn't the clubs at fault, only my technique.

I would suggest the issue with the three wood in particular is now more mental than anything else and you stand there thinking you can't hit it.

As for lessons, I am a huge advocate of these. I'm one of those not blessed with huge talent and so have to graft hard at my game. However to get the most out of these it has to be a two way process and you have to be totally upfront about your own game, its limitations and have realistic expectations about what you are trying to achieve. By the same token the pro has to be able to look at your faults and explain to you why these are happening and more importantly how to correct these, including drills to take away and work on. He must be able to do that in a language you understand and that you trust him. It doesn't sound like this is happening with the pro you've been seeing and quite simply I'd be looking elsewhere and always think word of mouth from club members or friends is always a good starting point