Lesson Last Night

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Had as video lesson down at the range last night (bumped into MVP - he hits a good ball!) to help rectify my what can only loosely be described as driving.

I had previously been driving well but had a lack of practise lately so when a slice of woe crept in off to see Finlay I went.

It traspired that my take-away with the driver was too steep so as I was coming down I was outside the line and cutting the ball.

After a bit of hard work we got it rectified so off for some intensive practise today to try to re-establish a bit of muscle memory for swinging the big dog.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Glad you found your swing again, Only 1000 swings until muscle memory locks it in place! Good luck

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd be terrified of videoing my swing - might be the final nail in the confidence coffin.

They showed an analysis of Els' swing on Sky last night, he's reduced the angle at the top of his swing from 65 degrees 2 years ago to 48 degrees when he won last week and tis is key to his improved performances and ability to get into winning positions - they then went on to say they think he's lost his mental self confidence.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
i envy you john! Hope its a good day for ya, Think my problem is muscle memory has remembered all the wrong things for me

DCB

Visit site
MWJ.
Just been for the first in a series of lessons myself. Scary to see yourself on video and to see just how messy you look.

Hopefully I should get things back on track in the not too distant future, off to the range this afternoon to practice my takeaway and to try and stop rolling the forearms as I take the club away.

Stick at it.

DCB

Visit site
I've got to try and stop the hands leading thew club away ! To do that I've to try and play a quarter shot almost like a pitch shot and concentrate on getting the club shaft parallel to the ground and the face at this point should be slightly closed. Then continue a little more to allow the wrists to cock and then play on through the ball trying to have the low point of the swing just ahead of the ball position.

Sounds weird and it feels really weird but it did work so I need to get some practice in to get the feel of it.

I've got an age old problem of dropping the club behind me and coming into the ball from too far on the inside so I need to get it sorted out bit by bit. It could take a while!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
he's reduced the angle at the top of his swing from 65 degrees 2 years ago to 48 degrees

Is this correct.....

fascinating.....

what does this mean :mad: :cool: :) :( :eek:

if this is the plane angle (taken (read) off straight up), then he's swinging it more upright.....
can't believe he'd have ever been as flat as 60 odd degrees though.

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
he's reduced the angle at the top of his swing from 65 degrees 2 years ago to 48 degrees

Is this correct.....

fascinating.....

what does this mean :mad: :cool: :) :( :eek:

if this is the plane angle (taken (read) off straight up), then he's swinging it more upright.....
can't believe he'd have ever been as flat as 60 odd degrees though.

stevelockies got it spot on, he's flatter in his plane, allowing him to sweep away much smoother and with a lot less manipulation with the hands caused by coming in to seep than he was, his older swing was alomost directly above his head while his new one is just above shoulder height and a bit further out from the body (thats what you call an unscientific explanation)!! :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Following on from that i've been practicing most of the day. As you recall from my seed of hope post last week I thought I was getting on track. I went to the range this morning but was having another mare of a session where everything I did to follow my pro's advice failed t pay off.

However halfway through my second (and what was going to be last) bucket I suddenly took the club back a bit lower and wider and verrily it became to behold - a truely struck high straight shot.

After working on this for the remainder of the bucket I took a short rest and went up my clubs practice ground. Swingwing lower and wider on the takeaway I was hitting the ball better than I had done for months. Went home for a couple of pints of tea and a bacon sarnie with a huge smile on my face.

Decided that I was in the mood so back to the range (it was raining!) and decided to try my new swing with the big stick and her little sister (3 wood). All I can say is wow - best drives I've hit in ages.

Up early tomorrow to try an ingrain the new swing. Have set aside the afternoon for some serious chipping and putting. Then its home for roast pork and crackling