Lesson frustration

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How normal is it to go through a phase where you play some good golf and have lessons during that phase for it all to go back to square one?

Had 3 lessons in the past 8 weeks and improved my game tremendously! Went to the course this morning and I couldn't hit anything! At one point I missed the ball completely!!! Something I've not done in years. I was hooking and slicing everything.

What's caused this to happen? I thought I was doing everything I'd been taught? Is this normal and how do I fix it?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
How normal is it to go through a phase where you play some good golf and have lessons during that phase for it all to go back to square one?

Had 3 lessons in the past 8 weeks and improved my game tremendously! Went to the course this morning and I couldn't hit anything! At one point I missed the ball completely!!! Something I've not done in years. I was hooking and slicing everything.

What's caused this to happen? I thought I was doing everything I'd been taught? Is this normal and how do I fix it?

Very normal.

When I started lessons my game dropped off for about 6 months. Stuck with the changes and it all came good.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I wouldn't have thought it was the lessons themselves that were the fundamental cause, but the usual up/down nature of our games!

The lessons may have disturbed your natural flow - for the better in all but the latest round - and you may now be thinking too much about them.

I'm almost certain that it's something else that has just appeared - like failing to turn. I'd suggest you do the practice on the range and just let the swing happen on the course. If it's the new swing, great. Otherwise more range work, to get the brain/body synchronised/trusting the change, required.

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Did the pro change your swing path?

Yeah the swing path has been changed. He's got me to get the club around my body using my torso rather than just getting my arms to drag it around my body. I had no problems doing this during my lesson and after on the range but just couldn't do it on the course this morning. He changed my grip as we'll and ball position for each club

Really frustrating. It looked like I'd never played the game before. The only thing I can think to do is get another lesson but at £40 an hour I can't afford another one till next month. Maybe I'm just over thinking it but I can't stop thinking about it!!

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are slicing and hooking, it sounds like you've gone back a little to your old swing so go out there and commit to the new swing and start off softly, then build up the speed when your confidence returns

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you are slicing and hooking, it sounds like you've gone back a little to your old swing so go out there and commit to the new swing and start off softly, then build up the speed when your confidence returns

So try less power and speed and not worry about distance?

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Tried a bit of practice today. Ended up topping every shot and hooked a load!! I've not topped a ball in ages. I'm putting it down to tensing up and thinking too much about it.

Its frustrating this game. Can't figure out how I've gone from being a low 90's golfer to a beginner over night!!

washathi

Medal Winner
Visit site
Tried a bit of practice today. Ended up topping every shot and hooked a load!! I've not topped a ball in ages. I'm putting it down to tensing up and thinking too much about it.

Its frustrating this game. Can't figure out how I've gone from being a low 90's golfer to a beginner over night!!

I've had similar days since I took up golf again about a year ago. Don't worry the low 90s golfer is still there!

I've been having half hour lessons, would your pro do that for you? When I was topping it like you describe it was because I was lifting my head as I hit the ball. I think I was trying to force the shot. I asked the pro and he recorded it on his iPad and showed me - "Chicken-bobbing" he called it. He's also had to sort out a wild slice and an equally wild hook....I'm gradually learning the traps that I can fall into. For chicken-bobbing I focus on the ball to keep my head still as I swing.

Good luck and hang on in there :)

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've had similar days since I took up golf again about a year ago. Don't worry the low 90s golfer is still there!

I've been having half hour lessons, would your pro do that for you? When I was topping it like you describe it was because I was lifting my head as I hit the ball. I think I was trying to force the shot. I asked the pro and he recorded it on his iPad and showed me - "Chicken-bobbing" he called it. He's also had to sort out a wild slice and an equally wild hook....I'm gradually learning the traps that I can fall into. For chicken-bobbing I focus on the ball to keep my head still as I swing.

Good luck and hang on in there :)

I don't want to keep getting a lesson everytime a swing fault appears and with me working away a lot I don't get much chance to have lessons either. I know it's just a small thing in my swing that's causing it but it's so annoying not being able to self diagnose it and advance my game! I was full of confidence a few days ago and now I feel like I did 2 years ago when I first took up the sport.

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
I found this. Lessons normally mean I can pick targets at the range and hit amazing shots towards them, become excited about going out on the course only to find that all of a sudden you can't hit a damned thing because you're too preocupied with swing mechanics to just hit the ball! This leads to tops and shanks.

Stick with it though - it'll become second nature (eventually).