length of new shafts v pulled shafts

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
looking to replace a couple of shafts in irons and looking for replacements but not certain as to which length i require.

just looking for standard length - some sellers specify the iron for which the shaft is suitable but i'm seeing a difference in "new uncut" 6 irons shafts of 37 inches and "pulled" 6 iron shafts of 35.5 inches.

is this normal? if you buy a brand new shaft say from gamola, would it normally come +1.5 inches longer than standard so that players who want longer shafts can be accomodated? and the shaft can easily be cut to standard?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is the shaft you are after? Most of the shaft manufactures provide trimming instructions on there web pages. Depending on your specs or there requirements you may need to tip trim or but trim.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What is the shaft you are after? Most of the shaft manufactures provide trimming instructions on there web pages. Depending on your specs or there requirements you may need to tip trim or but trim.

Don't know of any iron shaft where tip trimming is recommended - only Butt trimming.

I'm almost certain that the manufacturers are playing safe and providing the maximum likely length - though I do know someone (6'10") who played +1.75! certainly a lot easier to cut a shaft than to add to it!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know of any iron shaft where tip trimming is recommended - only Butt trimming.

I'm almost certain that the manufacturers are playing safe and providing the maximum likely length - though I do know someone (6'10") who played +1.75! certainly a lot easier to cut a shaft than to add to it!

Yep, the tip trimming comment was more aimed at my "Depends on your specs" comment.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Pretty much any True Temper parallel tip shaft, which come as a one size blank, require tip trimming to match them into a set, and that can be increased or decreased to have the same effect as hard or soft stepping in a taper tip shaft. I'd imagine that holds true for most parallel tip iron shafts regardless of manufacturer.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
looking to replace a couple of shafts in irons and looking for replacements but not certain as to which length i require.

just looking for standard length - some sellers specify the iron for which the shaft is suitable but i'm seeing a difference in "new uncut" 6 irons shafts of 37 inches and "pulled" 6 iron shafts of 35.5 inches.

is this normal? if you buy a brand new shaft say from gamola, would it normally come +1.5 inches longer than standard so that players who want longer shafts can be accomodated? and the shaft can easily be cut to standard?

An new uncut shaft of specific length for a club will always be longer than a pulled one. When inserted there is something like 1.5 inches extra which is trimmed down to length, so yes, that is normal.

One thing to watch for is whether you are getting a taper tip or a parallel tip. With a specific length shaft like you mention, that will be a taper tip. A parallel tip will normally be about a 40 - 41" blank, is then tip trimmed for the relevant club and then butt trimmed to finished length.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pretty much any True Temper parallel tip shaft, which come as a one size blank, require tip trimming to match them into a set, and that can be increased or decreased to have the same effect as hard or soft stepping in a taper tip shaft. I'd imagine that holds true for most parallel tip iron shafts regardless of manufacturer.

Doh! Good point!

Only ever encountered Taper Tip ones in irons I've needed to adjust.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks. I am up to speed on tip diameter these are taper tips. It was difficult to assess which lengths I required for a 7 to pw replacement, but I've found a pulled set of 6 shafts that should cover my needs. Cheers fro responses.

When you see manufacturers shaft lengths - is that generally measured with clubhead attached and from heel to grip, or purely the length of the shaft w/o clubhead?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Thanks. I am up to speed on tip diameter these are taper tips. It was difficult to assess which lengths I required for a 7 to pw replacement, but I've found a pulled set of 6 shafts that should cover my needs. Cheers fro responses.

When you see manufacturers shaft lengths - is that generally measured with clubhead attached and from heel to grip, or purely the length of the shaft w/o clubhead?

Assuming you mean club manufacturers, it is normally the length of the club. I believe that's normally from the heel to the end of the grip cap, but some do measure the "cut shaft length", which is from the heel to the top of the ungripped shaft.