Leaving the course during a round?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Playing in a qualifying comp the other day, halfway down the first hole I picked up my ball to clean it (allowed under Winter Rules) and found that I had left my bag towel in the locker room. I agreed with my playing partners that I would run back to collect it after playing the second hole, where the green is not far from the clubhouse. They pulled my trolley to the 3rd tee while I did this, which took no more than 2 or 3 minutes. I was mildly rebuked by our Competition Secretary for leaving the course during a stipulated round and delaying play, despite the fact that there were still players ahead of us on the 3rd hole and I got back before the following group had completed the 2nd hole.

So the questions are:

1) What constitutes leaving the course, and should you be penalised if you enter the clubhouse (which is on route between the 9th and 10th hole at our course) part way through a round? We often stop for a comfort break and a take away coffee in there. Is the clubhouse considered to be part of the course?

2) What constitutes 'unreasonable delay'?

3) Should I have been DQ'd (not that it mattered anyway, because I didn't have a good day)?

Last edited:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your not delaying the group/groups behind you, you cant be causing a delay , so they cant DQ ya

But I think you knew that already by the specific content in your questions

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Goodness me Del, do you ever have a trouble free round?? :lol:

You can leave the course, so no problem, and you didn't hold up play, so no problem

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
There is no penalty in the rules for "leaving the course".....bit of a myth I think as you hear the phrase a lot. But how could it be? You may want to retrieve a ball that is OB?

I'd have guessed there is no undue delay in the circumstances you describe but looking at the decisions I'm not so sure. The two decisions relating to undue delay both make no mention of the relationship to any other group on the course.....seems harsh but I don't see the difference between what you did and what's in the decisions so maybe a penalty? Rulefan?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've just checked the definition of the course, which is "the whole area within any boundaries established by the Committee".

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing in a qualifying comp the other day, halfway down the first hole I picked up my ball to clean it (allowed under Winter Rules) and found that I had left my bag towel in the locker room. I agreed with my playing partners that I would run back to collect it after playing the second hole, where the green is not far from the clubhouse. They pulled my trolley to the 3rd tee while I did this, which took no more than 2 or 3 minutes. I was mildly rebuked by our Competition Secretary for leaving the course during a stipulated round and delaying play, despite the fact that there were still players ahead of us on the 3rd hole and I got back before the following group had completed the 2nd hole.

So the questions are:

1) What constitutes leaving the course, and should you be penalised if you enter the clubhouse (which is on route between the 9th and 10th hole at our course) part way through a round? We often stop for a comfort break and a take away coffee in there. Is the clubhouse considered to be part of the course?

2) What constitutes 'unreasonable delay'?

3) Should I have been DQ'd (not that it mattered anyway, because I didn't have a good day)?

In reverse order.

3) Dec 6-7/1 gives the answer. "If this delays play, is the player subject to penalty?".
It didn't, so there is no penalty. The penalty incidentally would not be DQ but 2 strokes or loss of hole.

2) That is for the committee to decide on a case by case basis.

1) See Decisions 6-8a/2.5 and 2.7. IMO no problem here. Leaving the course per se is not a breach of any rule.
The clubhouse may or may not be part of the course depending on what it says in the local rules. Normally not, but it is irrelevant to this topic.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk

3) Dec 6-7/1 gives the answer. "If this delays play, is the player subject to penalty?".
It didn't, so there is no penalty. The penalty incidentally would not be DQ but 2 strokes or loss of hole.

Whoops, missed that bit. Should have gone with my first thought and not attempted to read so early and without my glasses!!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Could I have been penalised for discontinuing play under rule 6-8?

What would happen, for instance, if a player realises that he left a chipping club by the previous green and walks back some distance to retrieve it. Could that be considered as undue delay, and what would be the case if the following group was called through while he did this?

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could I have been penalised for discontinuing play under rule 6-8?

What would happen, for instance, if a player realises that he left a chipping club by the previous green and walks back some distance to retrieve it. Could that be considered as undue delay, and what would be the case if the following group was called through while he did this?

Didn't you bother to read 6-7/1?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both you and the hypothetical player could be penalised if play is unduly delayed but not if there is no delay caused to play.

6--8 is not appropriate.

Last edited: