Leaving my club.....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Insane? Bit strong. Like I say it's not massively discounted and what about all the guys from other clubs who would leave their club for yours?

weekend golf is the premium so charged accordingly, i would suggest most places would charge more for just weekends, not less.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Insane? Bit strong. Like I say it's not massively discounted and what about all the guys from other clubs who would leave their club for yours?

I agree the word insane is a little tot in this context, but I agree the underlying principle that it's lose lose for the club because those only playing weekends would all pay less than they currently do for the same course occupancy...so the club loses money and doesnt have anything in return (even availability!).

The problem with these threads on the one hand is that people have a different situation in their mind against which to air views. There are a lot of members clubs who are pretty well balanced in terms of their memberships ie they want to be competitive for natural turnover but can command the income they need to operate. They generally have low land costs (if any) and are fundamentally non profit making. On the other side, especially in England, you have the vast numbers of propritory clubs who's business model, whilst also dynamic, is more fundamentally about filling their course slots and generating the most income from them. They have been driving the innovation in memberships - and their actions have had an impact on members clubs, some of whom have tried to respond in kind but much seems to have backfired. This is most clearly seen with fleximembership designed, from the club's perspective, to bring people in to experience membership at a lower monthly commitment with the expectation that a proportion will transfer to full memberships over time, some won't and some will leave naturally.
In practice they (the propriatory ones mainly) are seeing increasing numbers of existing members transfer to flex (as Patrick's weekenders) instead.
Same issue with the intermediate memberships which have been widened in scope ans increasingly discounted to attract, hold and ultimately broaden their membership profiles '-for the future'. In practice it seems to have spawned another nomads environment where individuals, and group's, in this age category move around in search of the best financial deal for them each year or so.
There is a vast supply of cheap golf available everywhere; quality courses and membership experiences have to be provided to rise above the pure price equation.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A considered reply, thanks Duncan.

There's another thread on this and for me the idea of reciprocial playing rights at other clubs is the best new one (new to me) I've heard in a long time.

So the weekend only thing looks like a bad idea. I'm more than ok with that, that's all it was!

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I know of only one club down here in Sussex where membership has previously been readily available and is now full and a waiting list in operation - and it's all down to a flexible membership scheme. You buy credits, the season (summer / winter), day and time of day dictate how many credits a round costs. It interacts very well with the traditional unlimited golf members.

I've always thought that most working 7 day members are really only 2 day (weekend) members, that's why they religiously turn up every weekend whatever the weather and course conditions just to justify getting their 'moneys worth'. They might get a few evenings in during the summer months though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I agree the word insane is a little tot in this context, but I agree the underlying principle that it's lose lose for the club because those only playing weekends would all pay less than they currently do for the same course occupancy...so the club loses money and doesnt have anything in return (even availability!).

The problem with these threads on the one hand is that people have a different situation in their mind against which to air views. There are a lot of members clubs who are pretty well balanced in terms of their memberships ie they want to be competitive for natural turnover but can command the income they need to operate. They generally have low land costs (if any) and are fundamentally non profit making. On the other side, especially in England, you have the vast numbers of propritory clubs who's business model, whilst also dynamic, is more fundamentally about filling their course slots and generating the most income from them. They have been driving the innovation in memberships - and their actions have had an impact on members clubs, some of whom have tried to respond in kind but much seems to have backfired. This is most clearly seen with fleximembership designed, from the club's perspective, to bring people in to experience membership at a lower monthly commitment with the expectation that a proportion will transfer to full memberships over time, some won't and some will leave naturally.
In practice they (the propriatory ones mainly) are seeing increasing numbers of existing members transfer to flex (as Patrick's weekenders) instead.
Same issue with the intermediate memberships which have been widened in scope ans increasingly discounted to attract, hold and ultimately broaden their membership profiles '-for the future'. In practice it seems to have spawned another nomads environment where individuals, and group's, in this age category move around in search of the best financial deal for them each year or so.
There is a vast supply of cheap golf available everywhere; quality courses and membership experiences have to be provided to rise above the pure price equation.

i take your point, but i don't think any members club would offer reduced weekend membership.... none that had a sane committee anyway;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know of only one club down here in Sussex where membership has previously been readily available and is now full and a waiting list in operation - and it's all down to a flexible membership scheme. You buy credits, the season (summer / winter), day and time of day dictate how many credits a round costs. It interacts very well with the traditional unlimited golf members.

I've always thought that most working 7 day members are really only 2 day (weekend) members, that's why they religiously turn up every weekend whatever the weather and course conditions just to justify getting their 'moneys worth'. They might get a few evenings in during the summer months though.

Most turn up to play because they want to, rather than to justify membership costs; but I take you point.

Could I ask for the name of the Sussex club please?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was going to type 'misguided' but cancelled the reply when you posted.

Like you say in your post, proprietary clubs can do what they like TBH, they exist to make money for the owner pure and simple.

Ive a feeling there are a few clubs that will go under in the future, but then again there are probably too many clubs around. The better ones people want to play and a prepared to pay for will survive.
Trouble is too many people today expect something for nothing and they are entitled to be able to have something without being able to afford it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A considered reply, thanks Duncan.

There's another thread on this and for me the idea of reciprocial playing rights at other clubs is the best new one (new to me) I've heard in a long time.

So the weekend only thing looks like a bad idea. I'm more than ok with that, that's all it was!

club ive just left were part of a reciprocal scheme with nearly 30 other clubs, some local some not, was a massive bonus to have albeit most rarely if ever used it. Not necessarily the greatest courses ever but some ok tracks that worked well as an alternative at times and something similar in future would be a big draw when im looking at where to join

http://www.smartgolfer.co.uk/

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thanks.

I had thought they had gone 100% to a flexible membership basis for everyone; good to know that behind the marketing there's still a normal membership basis operating. They seemed to have reverse engineered a membership + pay&play structure more akin to a municipal than anything else.