Least favourite film?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
The problem is it was made for the yanks and we just got to see it - it's really called Hooligans but they weren't allowed to call it that here....as people might really think it still goes on.....:raiseseyesinamollycoodlingnannystatekindofway:

Problem with that type of film is that it encourages already small-minded yobs to try to immitate it, just like the millwall "fans" who battered an 80y/o gillingham fan for wearing a scarf.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you've missed the point then medway if you think (and for the sake of the argument we'll call them) 'proper' millwall are after giving a hiding to real fans....unfortunately todays yoof do seem to think that saturdays are for fighting and want to fight anyone but usually only those who have no chance to give them a taste of their own medicince...

Unfortunately, though, Millwall (and I hate Millwall BTW) have a reputation (and rightly so) and the media can write alot on reputation - dif you see that more Hull got arrested than Millwall a couple of weeks ago?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
No not "Proper" boys.

It is the young yobs who do that sort of thing.

What goes on now generally is that it is like minded groups coming together and it is kept between them.

There is a perverse nobility to it I suppose.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Green Street, the hoolie guy (teacher) sounds like a cross between an idiot trying to mimick a yank accent and a cockney.

Also it is a complete and utter fabrication of pure pony.

In what way? Are you trying to say there was/is no football violence?

There is plenty, just that green street is complete tripe.

Exactly when have West Ham ever had that many fans at a home match? The film makes it look like almost a sell out. :eek: ;)

Back to the op, Atonement sent me to sleep despite Keira Knightly undressing- what a boring film!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Too many directors are pretentious prats who won't let little things like history and facts get in the way of their message.
The Americans did not capture a U-boat and Enigma to save the war. (Oh and my Dad, who happened to be there, said the Battle of the Bulge was a load of ********* as well)

That is because they can, those types of films are easy to make. The story is already there, so are the characters and all Hollywood has to do is add some explosions, and this is what they are good at. Films about the war are a goldmine for film makers, and most of all Hollywood because people want to watch what happened, then they can go away and talk with their granddads about it and then watch the spin off together. A prime exapmle is 'Saving Private Ryan', not good film in my opinion but that is for another day; Saving Private Ryan is trying to show how brave Americans were in the face of adversity,with a soldier having lost all his brothers on one day, staying on to help his pals fight, because Americans are so great. It is a good example of what the war has become for Hollywood, a unexpendable source of revenue. It is something that still effects people today (as can be see in the opening scene) and thus people will go and watch it. That is why you will see films say that America captured this and that or sunk this ship and blew up that building, it is because it's a chance to make money, not get across a message. If you watch a British war movie and then an American one, I think you will see the difference.

Its a real pity you didnt study the second world war :(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know it is off topic but as a Fulham fan and having done 86 league grounds (loads of the lower division grounds have changed since I was there) and going religiously home and away for 5 or 6 years and away to places like Poland with England I think I can speak for what it was like for "proper" fans from 82-88

1 - Dont wear colours to away games. It just acts as a beacon for any wannabee to have a go whether part of a crew or not

2 - Crews/firms or whatever label you wanted to put on them knew where and when it would kick off. It was planned like a military operation to avoid police and more importantly - to avoid the average fan taking his kids or a couple of mates going to the match from getting involved. Those giving a pensioner a kicking were obviously trying to make a name and break into a firm. They would have been taught a lesson if the firm found out what they did. That or they were the scum we have as youth today.

3 - Most away trips were either on club coaches which would drop you off as close to the away turnstiles as possible with no stop offs in pubs or if you travelled by train they would be dry (unless you brought your own cans and the police eventually resorted to taking them) and you were chaperoned from the station and back after the enforced 1 hour lock in

4 - If you got into trouble there was more chance of you being nicked as the away fan even if you were only protecting yourself

5 - Club rivalries still exist at international level. Don't believe all this united under 3 lions crap. I saw Millwall grass on Man U fans to a foreign crew so they go a hiding

6 - All this real stuff wouldn't make a good film. The best film that cam anywhere near to showing football violence was The Firm with Gary Oldman and even that was way off the mark

And for the record I didn't run with any firms or was connected to violence in anyway. I went to support my team (being Fulham and losing 4-0 at Hartlepool on a Tuesday night meant it was never easy) and these are things I saw and etc from bumping into other fans at London Terminus etc.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
Sex and the City,How to lose a guy in 10 days all the rubbish i get made to watch

FAO of Homer

What score do you reckon today,i think we might just do you at our place,you do have a solid defence though

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fight club.... What a complete load of useless tosh

Train Spotting... Give me strength. Equally as bad.

Minority Report.... Could have dozed off

Waterworld...drivel. Dirge.It was trying to be Mad Max & failed misserably.

I could go on, there are loads of really bad films out there. As many as there are good ones.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my opinion anything staring Meg Ryan or Melanie Griffiths is worth binning straight away.

Other than that, hate it when attempts to cash in ruin good film series (Star Wars, Aliens, Indiana Jones, Predator). As it looks fairly decent I am willing to give the latest Terminator film a try but fear that this is another series going down the pan.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only decent thing about the new Starwars films was Ewan McGregor, apart from that they were annoying to the extreme. Though after watching the original Star Wars films I do start to wonder what I saw in them at the time they came out. I remember queueing up in the late 70's to watch the original at the cinema.