Learn from the ladies....

Threeoffthetee

Club Champion
Visit site
I like to sit and watch the European Tour or PGA as much as the next man, however from my point of view this is more entertainment than educational. The power, distance, physique of the professional men is so different to my own that I consider them to effectively be playing a different game to the one that I do off 14.

With this in mind I would ask the collective whether "most" club male golfers could learn some tips and techniques from watching women's golf instead. Accorging to the LPGA stats the average driving distance is 255-ish meaning they have to rely on accuracy, technique and course management rather than the fall-back position of power.

My question is whether the average amateur golfer could learn more about playing the game, swing technique and how to play certain shots from the pro-ladies than the pro-men? (Even though it may involve some pride-swallowing for some to admit that they are far far better golfers that we will ever be in spite of the comparable yardages).

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I think that is very fair. I love to watch the ladies, not just for the obvious. That helps mind you. But the swings are more akin to how I wish I swung the club. Think you would learn more from good ladies than good men. As you say the men play a different game to use.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
255 off the tee - too long for me.

Are any junior tournaments shown that I could learn from :eek:

Seriously though - you have a good point and I think that this is a good way to learn from the Pro game.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I definitely agree although, as a lady, I probably would.

Must admit I prefer watching the men's tournaments for a variety of reasons including the better coverage and, I guess, greater entertainment.

But I also enjoy watching the ladies golf for the reasons you state and because the game they play is conceivably more achievable for me. For example, for the men a driveable par 4 nowadays is 320 yards and maybe longer for some. I can watch that and enjoy it but could never do it. Watching one of the ladies tournaments the driveable par 4 was 269 yards - still a huge hit but not outwith the realms of possibility for me.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Buy yourself some clubs that have the correct flex for your swingspeed!

Swinging like a woman is fine if you're a woman. If you load the shaft early and constantly through the swing then swing like a woman and go get a regular/firm flex shaft and drop the stiff one you're trying to rip 300yds.

You're talking about the stats for the BEST WOMEN GOLFERS in the world and pretty much their best hits. Try hitting some out of the middle of the club.

Womens swing wouldn't work for me, I swing fast, aggresively and load the shaft late. If I slow down my timing would go to the wall.

Womens tour swings are a great example for other WOMEN........... and seniors.....:whistle:

Threeoffthetee

Club Champion
Visit site
My tailgate kind of goes lift and tilt...is that the general idea? Think I might have missed the point somewhere.....by the way, how DID you get such a large amount of custard from such a small cat?

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Couldn't agree more with this thread. It's clear that a muscular physique is not necessary to achieve a dood distance off the tee, as can be clearly seen from some of the slightly built pros who can hit 300 yards and more. For a lady professional golfer to get 255 yards, she must be getting all the elements of the swing to click in at the right time. That is something that lesser mortals and oldies like me should try to achieve, rather than trying to knock the spots off the ball.