Leadbetter

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I mentioned in an earlier post I've dug out the old laptop and my leadbetter interactive DVD boxset and swing analysis software. Has anyone used these and did they help improve their scores? My software has updated since I bought it and seems quite impressiive although at $45 a lesson if you send of your videos seems a little excessive! Let me know your opinions, cheers.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I wouldn't touch his stuff with a barge pole. You're better off throwing the ball! :)

That's lesson 2, you showoff.

:p

I think Leadbetter has some good stuff for people that like a 'traditional' swing, although for me, some of teh props he used are a bit gimmicy. I used to try to emulate some of his ideas in the 90s.

Nowadays, however, I have an image more in line with a one plane swing, like Tom Watson's, and there is plenty of stuff on youtube that I look at atm.

Depends what you're trying to achieve.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought it when they were virtually giving it away. I am not really a lover of Leadbetters teaching. The software allowed you to put all the lines on the swings etc to see the swing plane but there is free stuff out there that can do that now. Sending your swing for analysis for a price didn't appeal at all

Chris

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
As I mentioned in an earlier post I've dug out the old laptop and my leadbetter interactive DVD boxset and swing analysis software. Has anyone used these and did they help improve their scores? My software has updated since I bought it and seems quite impressiive although at $45 a lesson if you send of your videos seems a little excessive! Let me know your opinions, cheers.

I've never had any Leadbetter DVDs but I did read a lot of the books and watched some VHS videos (short and long game) and learned some useful stuff.

Although I enjoy studying the technical side of golf swing analysis, I don't use any swing software. I know what I'm trying to do/improve/change and most of it can be seen conclusively without using lines/drawing on my video. In my early days, my pro drew all over the telly (his) when we watched my swing back. He spent a long time working with Denis Pugh, who I believe worked with Leadbetter. Pugh taught him to swing the club left handed from scratch (he was right handed before) and they discussed the swing in great deal. I was lucky to sit in on many "video" lessons (I didn't work much) during my time trying to get from beginner to single figures as soon as possible.

There is certainly a place in this world for video lessons; I have even given advice (non-golf) to people in the past, but not for monetary gain. Not all information and instruction can be given successfully and nothing beats someone standing by to sort out a student when they get it wrong, trying to get it right!

I'm not a golf expert (far from it)....but I suspect you can get better value out of traditional tuition. Just my opinion.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a huge fan and I agree that there is better packages out there for free (V1) or cheap (GASP) if you want to draw lines all over the place. I think the stuff he taught when I last watched it on VHS was still stuck very much in the mould of when he taught Faldo and hadn't seemed to move on.

That said the guy I saw for lessons and who got me down from 20-12 was a product of the Leadbitter academy system but had brought newer ideas with him. I understood what he showed me and it did stick for a long time afterwards which is always a good thing.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys for your opinions, I myself tend to see leadbetter as one of the coaches that make the pupil fit his ideas not blend them to your natural swing. As I said I bought it cheap years ago and dug it out as not had time or money to get down and see my pro. Well hopefully some of the drills will be useful but there is no way I'm sending the video of for $45 I could have an hours lesson for that.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cant speak for the Leadbetter software but some of his drills are excellent.

The one I like in particular teaches or encourages good rhythm. Make a line of 6 balls a few inches apart and hit the first as normal but just edge along and knock the next ball without stopping your swing, carry on until you hit all of them. You have this continuous back and forth motion all the way along. You will be surprised how well you begin to hit the ball and how smooth you end up after a while.

Spend a lot of range balls though!!! :D

SharkAttack

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I myself tend to see leadbetter as one of the coaches that make the pupil fit his ideas not blend them to your natural swing.
Just to disprove this- Ernie Els, Nick Price & Nick Faldo (Three different swings with the same idea fitted in)

If you look at most pro's they are all like this. Every one of them have an idea of how the swing works best and will fit that ideology around the swing you have. Just look at the mighty Tiger how many swing changes has he had? and if the best coaches only tweeked then there would have been little difference to the original Harmon swing he had as it was a mighty fine thing. Leadbetter is one of the best, maybe not the king but definately in line for the throne.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well something worked because I shot my best round in ages, the score was 6 less than my course best but felt better and more enjoyable, now time for the other three discs!