Winter Off Season Improvement Options

joust

Visit site
So, as we get into the shorter days and poorer weather, after a good summer (h'cap down from almost 22 to 16, and a very easy 16 at that - could have shot in the 70's a few times this season), the question now in my mind is what to look at over the winter months to help improve ready for next year.

I've had a few lessons this year, visiting a local pro a couple of times, and then a 3hr lesson at a golf school (well recommended) - between them they have helped me learn how rid a bad case of the shanks and how to start hitting much straighter. Other good news is that driver/3 wood/hybrid distances are up this year (driver is up from total dist of about 190 2 years ago, to a min of 240-260, with some being in the measured 300+ range), however, during this time my iron distances haven't improved that much (but accuracy has been much better, and with the off the tee improvements, that how my scores have been much better this year).

Given I was fitted for my current iron set (TM R11's with DG R300 shafts, current 6i carry is about 150) some 4.5yrs ago (my woods/hybrids/wedges have not been fitted they were just 'selected' as being 'good' clubs), and given my swing has changed significantly in that time, I was wondering what would be the best for the off season......2 options to consider:

1. use my given budget to get more lessons from a local pro - only downside I see here is a lack of 'practice' time on course (tbh, I don't like ranges so much): would I be able to take that 'learing' over winter months and carry it forward into next year?

2. get a full club fitting review at a local pro shop with full GC2 analysis - this is starting to play on my mind as a few golfing buddies have had new kit recently and have seen significant improvements (for instance I have 3 Titleist 910 hybrids, 17/21/24 each with a different shaft in them). Would this be a significant aspect to concentrate on over the winter and then head back to the pro in early March?

Thoughts please, or if any of you have s similar experience to share....

Bag makeup:

M1 driver, stiff shaft 9.5deg
RBZ stage 2 3wood, stiff shaft, 13.5deg
Titleist 910 hybrids - 17/21/24deg, 3 different shafts (2xstiff, 1xreg)
TM R11 irons, 6-PW, DG R300 shafts
3xVokey wedges - 50/54/60, reg wedge flex shafts
Scotty Newport putter

Cheers

Joust

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've just seen a video from Peter Finch (from a while back) where he set his goals to achieve the quest for the open and broke it down into different sections. I've decided that's a cunning plan and depending on my health issues, have set a 2017 goal to get back 12. I've decided to set some goals to help me achieve this. Also I plan to do some NLP work as my mental state on the course is fragile at best, and gets shot to pieces when it's not going well

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just seen a video from Peter Finch (from a while back) where he set his goals to achieve the quest for the open and broke it down into different sections. I've decided that's a cunning plan and depending on my health issues, have set a 2017 goal to get back 12. I've decided to set some goals to help me achieve this. Also I plan to do some NLP work as my mental state on the course is fragile at best, and gets shot to pieces when it's not going well

You're watching loads of finch/sheils videos atm too then?

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site

I just can't get to grips with the last couple of lines. How can a hobby get to poeple that much? Surely you are taking it too seriously if your mental state on the course is fragile at best. I can understand that quote from Woods, Bubba et al, but not some random Saturday/sunday golfer. Baffles me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I just can't get to grips with the last couple of lines. How can a hobby get to poeple that much? Surely you are taking it too seriously if your mental state on the course is fragile at best. I can understand that quote from Woods, Bubba et al, but not some random Saturday/sunday golfer. Baffles me.

It's very simple. I want to be the best golfer I can be and at the moment my game and handicap is going in the wrong direction. Loads of reasons including health issues this year but my mental attitude before and during a competition round is crap. I'm normally negative/defensive especially if I don't hit well in warm up, and once the wheels come off I melt like ice cream in the sun

My thought process is crap especially on my home course where familiarity breeds contempt and I want to improve that. I did some stuff called New Golf Thinking four or so years ago which helped and this is another way of doing the same thing.

I have ambitions to get to single figures (and a long way to go) and want to simply improve. That and I enjoy learning, practice and trying new things in my golf. As you rightly say it's a hobby but one I want to get the most out of and one I want to enjoy to the maximum and that's hard to do playing rubbish golf regularly and I think/hope this will change it and get me going where I want to go with my golf.

Put bluntly, it's my game and I'll do what I thinks best and more than happy to plough my own, lone furrow irrespective of what others think

D

Deleted member 15344

I wonder if the OP has got the answer he was looking for when he posted the thread

Getting the thread back on track

I think you best bet would to speak to your local pro and get an assessment in regards your clubs and also a swing check - a sort of game Mot

joust

Visit site
I wonder if the OP has got the answer he was looking for when he posted the thread

Getting the thread back on track

I think you best bet would to speak to your local pro and get an assessment in regards your clubs and also a swing check - a sort of game Mot

Hi Liverpoolphil,

Thanks for that - I guess I'm looking for peoples experiences if a bag 'MOT' at this time of year is worth it or not, or to leave it until after teh season has started next year (lessons are a given at some point before the next season starts in earnest).

Joust

D

Deleted member 15344

Hi Liverpoolphil,

Thanks for that - I guess I'm looking for peoples experiences if a bag 'MOT' at this time of year is worth it or not, or to leave it until after teh season has started next year (lessons are a given at some point before the next season starts in earnest).

Joust

It will depend on what your plans are for the winter

You can just groove away at the swing over the winter and then look to upgrade the clubs after or get new clubs now and then use the winter to get used to them

Any new club I have got it's mainly been around November to give me the winter to get used too

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am wondering what the best way to improve is

is pounding the range, chipping green and putting for hours trying drills and getting your percentages better

or is being out on the course better, where you experience real conditions and have to hit under stress where each shot actually matters

i can play far better than my handicap when practicing. Hit shots on the range to any flags and putting everything in 2.

on the course my game is so different, the tempo of hitting 1 shot every 5 minutes, finding your ball sank in a bit of rough, a wet bunker. So many variables there is never enough time to practice that stuff.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

is pounding the range, chipping green and putting for hours trying drills and getting your percentages better

or is being out on the course better, where you experience real conditions and have to hit under stress where each shot actually matters

i can play far better than my handicap when practicing. Hit shots on the range to any flags and putting everything in 2.

on the course my game is so different, the tempo of hitting 1 shot every 5 minutes, finding your ball sank in a bit of rough, a wet bunker. So many variables there is never enough time to practice that stuff.

Short game, short game, short game! And short game is from 80-100, or a bit more, in - and includes putting!

For every half hour you spend on the range for the long game (and that's about as long as you can and achieve anything!) spend 1.5 hours on the short game! Find some drills - chipping to a small circle - from varying distances, putting 18" past if not sunk, putting spiral, putting with eyes closed etc. And don't forget to play a few holes occasionally to bring it all together!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The first one of the OP questions was about how to undergo swing changes during the winter.

There's an interesting vid on Dan Whittacker's youtube channel on this subject : http://youtu.be/6LwtWihHmmw? that might be worth chewing over. He suggests that if you want to make changes, the full course during the summer is probably not ideal. So winter work might be better.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about kit changes if you're thinking of working on your game. You might end up with something that doesn't suit. I'd be a little sceptical about the success of your mates being strictly kit related unless they just upgraded from persimmon and balata...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

As a high handicapper I'd hang fire on the kit changes and invest in tuition and practice. It needs to be a mixture of long game and short game from 100 yards and in plus chipping and bunkers. I'd look to be splitting my time 70/30 towards short game practice and improvement as that is where most of the shots are played. If I was having a lesson, I'd then have a couple of range sessions to work it in and then play. In the winter when it's wet or frosty I'm not too fussed on scoring and more about getting the swing working, especially post lesson. I wouldn't pound too many balls at the range, and certainly not without aiming at defined targets or playing an imaginary round

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I do get lessons every fortnight signed up for a course of them, spent the first 4 sessions working on long game and a gap test, now working on chipping/pitching.

Frustrating when I play a round with people and am chipping/pitching with my new technique from my coach, and players who are far far better than me keep saying I should be playing the shot different.

I try not to be results orientated, I know I currently only make the shot happen as I want it 7/10 times in practice for instance, so know on the course going to hit those same shots badly quite often. With time and practice will hopefully get this to 9/10 etc

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I do get lessons every fortnight signed up for a course of them, spent the first 4 sessions working on long game and a gap test, now working on chipping/pitching.

Frustrating when I play a round with people and am chipping/pitching with my new technique from my coach, and players who are far far better than me keep saying I should be playing the shot different.

I try not to be results orientated, I know I currently only make the shot happen as I want it 7/10 times in practice for instance, so know on the course going to hit those same shots badly quite often. With time and practice will hopefully get this to 9/10 etc

Your coach has given you a method to chip that will work so my advice is smile politely when others tell you to do it differently and carry on with what you were shown. I have been using the linear method which isn't widely taught but it works for me and yet, there's still an inner feeling I have that I should be using something more orthodox as everyone seems to.

Record your practice routines and score each task (up and downs etc) and learn to trust what you are doing and then relax and let it happen on the course. This is the part I'm struggling with and working on over the winter

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't ignore a physical training regime specific to golf - core, balance and flexibility pay huge dividends as you set out to perform next season.
Range sessions are perfect for winter; mixed with the right tuition/guidance they will deliver and don't need to be boring. Simple example - pick a post or target and see how close you can get to it without ever going right (or left) of it. Such exercises will deliver significant benefits when translated into a round and scoring.

Finally, "some random Saturday/sunday golfer" is about as far as you can get from Homer, before you fall of the edge of the world...

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ask your pro for a playing lesson, so when you come across a shot that others are saying you should play differently your pro can advise on what to play and when. Working on course management can be a big benefit to your game.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ask your pro for a playing lesson, so when you come across a shot that others are saying you should play differently your pro can advise on what to play and when. Working on course management can be a big benefit to your game.

Yeah is a good idea.

Trying to control costs with golf too, that is one of the hardest balancing acts. Need to work on all parts of my game, course management included, but can only really afford 30 minutes of lessons every other week (£30).

Also golf is just a hobby so want to have fun and enjoy meeting friends and playing, but that eats into golf budget.

Expensive game, have to budget for it well.