Le Touquet and Le Hardelot - France. 4 day boys trip- feedback

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok the initial plan was take a coach via the channel tunnel which would have been fine if the coach company hadn't messed up and not booked the tunnel! Ended up going via Ferry to Dunkirk there and back and it adds over 3 hours 1 way to your trip so avoid that. The tunnel is a lot better option. The coach met us every morning and after the round and took us to and from the hotel and course so we didn't have to worry about driving!! :cool:

We played 4 courses over the 4 days

Le Pins
Le Mer
Belle Dunne
Le Dune

Each course was stunning. :) I have only positive things to say mostly for all 4 courses. 3 out 4 days of good weather helped of course but it tended to be windy by the sea! Le Mer is by far the longest and the hardest of the 4. The scores reflected this from even the low handicappers its a tough old beast in the wind! Dont be put off by some of the others being shorter they are much tighter with tree lined fairways tricky dog legs and even trickier greens. What a delight to play decent par 3 holes with a wedge or nine iron in hand and not only have to think about distance control but also ball position on a slopping green whilst going over water. Far to many par 3's in my opinion including my own track and other courses nowadays, tend to go for these 200 yards plus holes with no personality to them. It was a pleasure to play these as an alternative and see that you dont need to do it if you have a little imagination.

My only small criticism would be that Le Pins had some work left to be done on the greens ( remains of a fungus and damaged greens) and some of the course was a little untidy and the worst of the 4 but only marginally. If you play Le Mer be aware its some 15 mins walk from the clubhouse/reception!! Take plenty of balls to them all and suggest a trolley or buggy and they get a bit hilly in places if your'e not a fitty. All tracks are well designed and thought out and offer something for every level of golfer. They were well looked after and cared for yet we hardly saw a sole on the most courses, even green staff. The Dunes is the shortest but arguably the prettiest of the 4. Its been said that it had been shortened significantly recently and although you rarely need a driver its a real challenge still and I loved the idea of a shorter course where you had to think more off the tee. It again suggests it can be done rather than turning all courses into 8 thousand yard monsters! :confused: My personal favourite was Belle Dunes. Something for everyone, lots of risk and reward shots available and plenty of birdies to be had from well thought out second shots and keen hot putters.

Now we stayed at the Westminster in Le Touquet. It a traditional art deco style turn of the 19 century (I think) hotel and sits very prominent in the middle of the town. It has some presence about it and for that they think its ok to sting you for every cent once you get there! 4 euros plus tax for a small bottle of water in your room and 10 euros for a pint in the bar.... :confused: Enough said I think....The lifts are ridiculously small you can only get one person with bags in them!!!:mad: Breakfast was good however, well presented, stocked and the staff were fine. Rooms were just ok. No real added extra from a hotel that claims to be 5 star. They try to be "oh so upper class" but in my opinion fall short in the comfort and amenity stakes. Anyway we boycotted this (their loss) and went into the village to spend our hard earned shekkles on refreshments and dinner which was fine.... Nothing outrageous, a few good little restaurants and bars and again a little pricey to eat but more than acceptable in choice and variety. It was in our opinion very quiet but we had a good enough time on our own after the beers had flown a little! Its a short walk no no need for cabs or lifts thankfully.

Overall a good trip, use the tunnel, pick a decent hotel but the courses were v good. Would we go again? Yes maybe but with the lack of weather guarantee and prices on site perhaps not for a while. Shame as the courses are superb. For the same time travelling via the ferry we could have flown to Portugal or Southern Spain. Next year its the Emerald Isle!! :)

Last edited: