Laying club on floor.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Playing golf today, a PP smashed his drive into a fairway bunker. Anyway it ended up about 2ft from the lip of the bunker. Said PP then gets his 8 iron out. Put it on the floor at the side of the fairway, level with the ball, with the handle facing the green. He then stood on the head to give him the angle from the handle at which the ball should come out of the bunker. He said" well that should get out at that". It did and ended up 120 yds down the fairway at the side of the green.
Four holes later, his ball was about 30 yds behind an old oak tree and he proceeded to do the same, club down stand on it etc etc.
Now I have never seen anything like that before. I have played with him for 5 years and never seen him do it before. Don't even know where he got the idea from.
But, is it legal. I just don't know.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

As long as he didn’t do it in the bunker itself, it’s fine. Done it my self , gives you an idea of launch angle. Not exact of course.

Read a pro recommend it in a mag - can’t remember which

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Someone will be along soon with the correct ruling but j would have thought that was illegal, using artificial aids or something similar. Were you playing between yourselves or in a comp?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Someone will be along soon with the correct ruling but j would have thought that was illegal, using artificial aids or something similar. Were you playing between yourselves or in a comp?
No it wasn't a knock about, we were in an 18 stableford comp. one thing I have noticed is a couple of times another PP a couple of times was struggling to find his line, so put a club down to get his feet on the right line 😳

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry late at night and I misread what is happening.

The laying down of the club is not an aid to stance but is used to judge angle of flight so it is probably not an infringement.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is something I used to do but stopped doing with the rule chnges. Nice to read I am actully not doing anything wrong.

However I note in the OP you did ay at the side of the ball so could be open to another judgement

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my pet hates!

Definition....
Floor is the lower surface of a room.
Ground is the solid surface of the earth.

I think this is an English thing as the number of TV programmes I see which refer to the ground as the floor.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would add that interpretation
10.2b(3)/1
Allows a player to place a club behind the ball
But l think that the above decision is only referring to the placing of a clubhead behind the ball - admittedly in a vaguely bizarre way - but putting the clubhead in that location is ultimately part of the process of making a stroke. I dont think the decision justifies or legitimises the laying out of a club in order to judge direction of play