Lateral weight shift in downswing ** Diagram included **

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
A quick question on the lateral weight shift at the start of the downswing.

Should your weight move laterally along your target line, while the hips and shoulders continue to turn through?

Or.

Should your weight shift, again, laterally but instead of moving parallel to your target line, moves fractionally left.

The diagram explains it a little better (... I hope :mad: ):

Weightshift_zpsa40c86fb.png

I would also add this is strictly a question about the direction of weight transfer starting the downswing and not a rotation question.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
'weight' cannot move anywhere that there isn't some part of a foot
<pedant mode>
If you had stated 'support through a foot' I'd be more inclined to agree. And even then, it's not absolutely cut-and-dried - think og Gary Player's 'walk through the shot' that moves the weight (CofG) outside the left foot, then moves the right foot to avoid falling over - as that's what would happen otherwise.

But as posted, I'd disagree. Explain how we walk/run otherwise.

</pedant mode>

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
So after watching them videos we want a lateral move to the target to start the downswing then as we unwind the left hip will obviously go left as the club comes through?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes.

As I understand it, laterally initially, then left to create some room.

This was my original point Gary.

I know the hips turn out of the way, but when the down swing starts, where do the hips go(?) laterally or fractionally left(?) (Which you answered :thup: ), hence the "This is not a rotation question" remark.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Here's an area where there tends to be a slight difference between the way 1-Planers and 2-Planers move.

2-Planers will tend to have more of a bump than 1-planers.

Not the word 'tend'!

I believe the 'cause' is to create the room for the arms to get back (drop) onto plane without casting. This (sequencing/timing) is the area where 2PS is 'higher maintenance' than 1PS.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This was my original point Gary.

I know the hips turn out of the way, but when the down swing starts, where do the hips go(?) laterally or fractionally left(?) (Which you answered :thup: ), hence the "This is not a rotation question" remark.

I'm not sure if I was right or not, but it rings a bell that what I described is what I'd read somewhere.

With my own swing I'm all over the place again, not knowing what I do. I've hit some of my best shots recently trying to "feel" that the left hip never turns behind the right one. I know that can't happen, but it's how it feels. I wish I didn't care!! :mad:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm not sure if I was right or not, but it rings a bell that what I described is what I'd read somewhere.

With my own swing I'm all over the place again, not knowing what I do. I've hit some of my best shots recently trying to "feel" that the left hip never turns behind the right one. I know that can't happen, but it's how it feels. I wish I didn't care!! :mad:

Sounds similar to a path I've adopted Gary.

Since I've done similar to you describe, I've not hit one single pull (My bad shot).

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been coached that the first movement is lateral towards target and then rotation - the latter will happen with the momentum of the swing plus it can't keep moving laterally or you'd fall over! If I rotate my hips from the top then the right hip fills the space I want my arms to drop into...

If I get the left hip moving towards the target then a lot of other essentials fall into place and I nail it. I do find it a hard movement to always feel though.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk

Should your weight move laterally along your target line, while the hips and shoulders continue to turn through?

Or.

Should your weight shift, again, laterally but instead of moving parallel to your target line, moves fractionally left.

I would also add this is strictly a question about the direction of weight transfer starting the downswing and not a rotation question.

Watch this...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjE8IM-ivV8

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Jeepers Gareth, how can you even hit the ball with all this bouncing about between your ears.
Smooth back and welly it fella.

Or.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

can you explain what you mean by this gary? its not clicking with me! :mad: