Lateral Movement

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A couple of my golfing buddies have recently told me that I have too much lateral movement when I swing?

I have been receiving physio on my my right shoulder and it can be a little stiff on occasions (I'm right handed).

I have lost on average about 40 yards from my drives and perhaps this is down to the lateral movement, which in itself is compensating for the shoulder??

Any advice on how to stop the excessive movement?

Many thanks!

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From your golfing stance can you reach down and touch your right kneecap with your left fingers?

Sorry actually had to try that! I can't touch the right knee but can the left. Ball is teed up on left heel, with left foot pointing at 11 o'clock. Right foot at 3 mins past 12, if hat makes sense?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I can't touch the right knee but can the left.

It sounds like you have some flexiblilty issues (bad back too?), I'd certainly suggest that your bad shoulder is being protected by your 'new' swing. I don't know if your shoulder injury is long term or just how extensive an injury it is, so that makes an internet diagnosis a potential nightmare.. wouldn't want to hurt you further so I'd suggest you actually simply go and see your local pro who will be able to assess in person just how much movement you have and what solution would suit your situation. Sorry about that but someone needs to take a 'personal look' at your mobility/capabilities :thup:

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really appreciate your help and advice, many thanks.

No back issues thankfully. Hurt my shoulder playing squash against someone 20 years younger! Going through my mid life crisis.........

Shoulder getting better with physio thankfully.

Need to do something as my drives are barely reaching 175-190 yds just now

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Movement to the right on backswing and the reverse on the downswing.

I don't know I'm doing it even though a couple of my mates say I am.

Something must be happening as my lack of distance and power is apparent!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You need to try and keep your weight inside your right foot in the backswing. Tom Watson says he likes the idea of imagining he is swinging inside a barellel through the swing. You could try practising with a golf ball under the outside of your right foot, this may help you with the feeling of not swaying too much to the right. I find that once you stop the sway in the backswing then it also stops the forward sway.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You need to try and keep your weight inside your right foot in the backswing. Tom Watson says he likes the idea of imagining he is swinging inside a barellel through the swing. You could try practising with a golf ball under the outside of your right foot, this may help you with the feeling of not swaying too much to the right. I find that once you stop the sway in the backswing then it also stops the forward sway.

Cheers Brian, much appreciated