Late November UK Break

Neeko1988

Visit site
Good Morning All

Me and a group of friends usually go away abroad for a few days around October/November but due to the uncertainty with Covid we are looking at a UK alternative.

Could anybody recommend somewhere good to go in late November for a couple of days, Criteria being:

1) Course with a bit of history or quite well known (Want a nice course) - We have played Celtic, Belfry, Vale.
2) Within a 2-3 hours max of West Midlands
3) Likely to remain open if weather is bad.
4) 2 Courses to play and a decent hotel

Thanks All
Chris

D

Deleted Member 1156

Needs to be a links really to ensure playability.

Burnham & Berrow has 18 and a very underrated 9 hole course with dormy rooms onsite.
Bit further down the coast is Saunton, 36 holes and plenty of hotels in Barnstaple.
Or maybe look at North Wales.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
He beat me to it!!!

How many of you and it depends on what you mean by decent accommodation.... Saunton's 36 holes has to be high up! Saunton Sands Hotel is very good, depending on your budget! Plenty cheaper in Barnstable or Ilfracombe. Roya North Devon just round the bay too.

I was also going to say Burnham...dormy house takes 12 now and there's Weston Super Mare just down the road for another links 18. Burnham's 9 holer is fun too

South Wales... you have Porthcawl, Pyle and Southerndown all in spiking distance of each other. Why do folk play Celtic and miss the rest? :) Further west, Ashburnham and Pennard worth the trip.

(note lots if links...safer if wet in November.)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good Morning All

Me and a group of friends usually go away abroad for a few days around October/November but due to the uncertainty with Covid we are looking at a UK alternative.

Could anybody recommend somewhere good to go in late November for a couple of days, Criteria being:

1) Course with a bit of history or quite well known (Want a nice course) - We have played Celtic, Belfry, Vale.
2) Within a 2-3 hours max of West Midlands
3) Likely to remain open if weather is bad.
4) 2 Courses to play and a decent hotel

Thanks All
Chris

Princes at Sandwich is a good option - accommodation on site. More than the 2 - 3 hours from the west midlands though....

Another lovely area with good links courses is North Norfolk. Hunstanton, Brancaster, Sheringham. Would be top end of the travel time again though I guess. It doesn't meet your courses on the site of the hotel criteria, but I'd say it's worth thinking about all the same.

D

Deleted member 21258

Assuming there maybe part of a weekend I would recommend :-

Saunton

or

Alwoodley & Ganton (has a nice dormy or stay in Scarborough or somewhere in between the courses)

You can play at the weekend

Or maybe Royal St Davids & Aberdovey (dormy on site of both clubs)

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'd recommend Tenby in GC Wales and as it's a links you should not have a problem with the weather - unless it snows of course. The Course itself is quality and one of the best in Wales. We've played & stayed there a couple of times in their Dormy at the course at about £120 for two nights & three games. We travel from Solihull so about 3 hours 15 but a nice drive. The town's just a short walk - or taxi - away too

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another lovely area with good links courses is North Norfolk. Hunstanton, Brancaster, Sheringham. Would be top end of the travel time again though I guess. It doesn't meet your courses on the site of the hotel criteria, but I'd say it's worth thinking about all the same.[/QUOTE]

Could stay.at heacham manor , that has a course and I understand they do packages at the other courses.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Normally I would recommend East Lothian but with covid who knows what will be allowed by then.

If you do fancy it, staying in North Berwick or Craigielaw would be ideal.

D

Deleted member 1147

How about Frilford Heath - I believe that has more than 18 holes, as a heathland should be ok in the wet, and isn't too far from thr West Mids?

I haven't personally played it, but I'm sure someone on here will tell about it.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
How about Frilford Heath - I believe that has more than 18 holes, as a heathland should be ok in the wet, and isn't too far from thr West Mids?

I haven't personally played it, but I'm sure someone on here will tell about it.

3 good courses - drains well... that's a really good "different" suggestion - talk to the club re suggestions of accommodation. Must be some decent country pubs locally, and you are not far from Oxford, Abingdon etc

D

Deleted member 1147

Another one is Alwoodly & Moortown - I believe there is a deal to stay at a local hotel and play the 2, top courses.