Uk golf break

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Morning

4 of us are looking to book a short break in October, sat/sun, 2 rounds within 1-2 hours of Birmingham. Budget around £150 inc accommodation.

Aside from the usual operators such as golfbreaks and your golf travel, any suggestions of others to try?

Anyone been direct to the course/hotel and booked that way instead? Is it cheaper or all much of a muchness?

Cheers!

batchworth

Visit site
We went to Sandford Springs Golf club and hotel last year. Don't remember the prices (near Newbury), but was good - 3 x 9 hole courses and we booked direct

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We do a 2-day UK trip every year as a group of 16 and always book direct with the resort. There’s a lot of choice within a couple of hours of Birmingham available at that sort of price, too.

We’ve done The Vale, St Pierre, Celtic Manor, The Oxfordshire - there are lots of others which I’m sure people will add to the list.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We've done
The Vale
Carden Park
Belton Woods
Hawkstone Park

All very good and within range. My limit is always 2 hours from wolverhampton so the same as you really.

With regards to booking I always try booking direct and Golfbreaks usually just about beats it.

D

Deleted member 1147

Woodhall Spa? or may be too far.
We booked directly, and the Bracken is one of the best "2nd courses" I've played

Also went to Forest of Arden having booked directly - though the Aylesford course is pretty crap

Billysboots

Visit site
We booked directly, and the Bracken is one of the best "2nd courses" I've played

Also went to Forest of Arden having booked directly - though the Aylesford course is pretty crap

Been a frequent visitor to The Forest of Arden over the years - if ever I was to book a couple of days there I’d want to play The Arden twice, without question. Quality course, especially the back nine. The Aylesford doesn’t come close.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

You can get to Woodhall from Birmingham in 2 hours, just about (for reference, it's 2 hours 45 mins to Woodhall on a good run from my house in Gloucester)....

If the OP decides on Woodhall Spa - I can give Hotel/B&B suggestions - there's plenty in the village (I lived there for years). And you have a good amount of eating/boozing options too - all within Walking distance.

As James says, the Bracken is really good for a "2nd" course - but if you are willing to pay a bit extra, the Hotchkin is really special.

D

Deleted member 1147

You can get to Woodhall from Birmingham in 2 hours, just about (for reference, it's 2 hours 45 mins to Woodhall on a good run from my house in Gloucester)....

If the OP decides on Woodhall Spa - I can give Hotel/B&B suggestions - there's plenty in the village (I lived there for years). And you have a good amount of eating/boozing options too - all within Walking distance.

As James says, the Bracken is really good for a "2nd" course - but if you are willing to pay a bit extra, the Hotchkin is really special.
We stayed in the main hotel (The Inn?) and curried over the road in the evening

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
We stayed in the main hotel (The Inn?) and curried over the road in the evening

Yea, the Inn would be your best bet but they won't get 2 rounds of golf and accommodation for £150pp. India Village does a really nice curry though - Jamaal's a top banana too. Don't know how long ago you went, but there's a really nice Italian where the Indian used to be (it's moved further up the main road), and a Mediterranean about a minute's walk the other way too.

There's plenty of bed and breakfasts which are within walking distance of all the village amenities if accommodation requirements are basic.

D

Deleted member 1147

Yea, the Inn would be your best bet but they won't get 2 rounds of golf and accommodation for £150pp. India Village does a really nice curry though - Jamaal's a top banana too. Don't know how long ago you went, but there's a really nice Italian where the Indian used to be (it's moved further up the main road), and a Mediterranean about a minute's walk the other way too.

There's plenty of bed and breakfasts which are within walking distance of all the village amenities if accommodation requirements are basic.
It's a good few years since I went - 2012 maybe

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a good few years since I went - 2012 maybe

would have been 2013 at the earliest, as the Inn was closed for nearly a year to be completely refurbished and it re-opened on 7th June 2013. I know this because it re-opened in time for my wedding that weekend (and my mum was managing both the Inn and the Dower House Hotel (that overlooks the Bracken's 1st hole) and project managing the refurbishment of the Inn - so she was stressed out making sure it was all done in time haha)

But yes, the village has changed a bit since then - more food options and "nicer" bars.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would do woohall spa from where you are. Stay in Lincoln Carden Park is also a good resort set up with a decent night in Chester close by....

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
If you don't care about the quality of the hotel, then you can't go wrong with Farthingstone. Course is really nice, free use of snooker room and squash court, 3 free drinks pp, dinner, B&B and unlimited golf under £100 pp for one night stay.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We do a 2-day UK trip every year as a group of 16 and always book direct with the resort. There’s a lot of choice within a couple of hours of Birmingham available at that sort of price, too.

We’ve done The Vale, St Pierre, Celtic Manor, The Oxfordshire - there are lots of others which I’m sure people will add to the list.
We've done
The Vale
Carden Park
Belton Woods
Hawkstone Park

All very good and within range. My limit is always 2 hours from wolverhampton so the same as you really.

With regards to booking I always try booking direct and Golfbreaks usually just about beats it.

The Vale looks interesting and prices coming back pretty reasonable. Did you stop in the cabins? What was the course like?

Billysboots

Visit site
The Vale looks interesting and prices coming back pretty reasonable. Did you stop in the cabins? What was the course like?

We stayed in the hotel, which was very nice. Played both courses and enjoyed them. It’s a number of years ago now, but the majority of our group felt it was far better value than Celtic Manor with courses which were every bit as enjoyable.