Laser...worth having?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to have a GPS, but after the last one went wrong too many times when under warranty and no new stocks available, the retailler allowed me to swap it for a Bushnell laser. Yes it is very accurate to the pin (when I can actually read off the pin) but deep down I still prefer the GPS that gives me the ability to judge possible extra length allowance and things.
Just a shame my last GPS was so unreliable for an expensive new piece of kit.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm interested to hear what different type of laser beams you can get, afterall it's just a beam that hits something then fires back..no ?

Like everything in life, you get high quality and low quality. Is a cheap camera lens as good as an expensive one? They are both made of glass and fit on a camera, so why do people buy the more expensive one.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I know nothing about lenses nor lasers for that matter but surely a laser beam is a laser beam ? I'm not suggesting the cheaper ones are as good overall, I just thought, it's a beam, how can you get a more expensive beam. I've had cheap and the most expensive one on the market, guess what ? exactly the same reading.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know nothing about lenses nor lasers for that matter but surely a laser beam is a laser beam ? I'm not suggesting the cheaper ones are as good overall, I just thought, it's a beam, how can you get a more expensive beam. I've had cheap and the most expensive one on the market, guess what ? exactly the same reading.
So a car is a car, and a watch is a watch?
Really......:rolleyes:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

What I have noticed between the cheaper ones and the expensive ones is the reliability in poor conditions, or when the flag is blending into the background.

The accuracy of the equipment is determined by the sharpness of the beam and how fast the detector can process the return. Put it into another way that may make more sense to you. Are you better to have a 1Gb off brand processor, or a 3.2Gb INTEL quad core processor in your PC? Both do the same job, but one is definitely going do the job better. The 3.2Gb one is also going to perform better when asked to work harder. So it goes to say that the rangefinder with the better components inside is going to perform better under pressure, basically when in poor conditions or when pickling up the flag is difficult.

Not trying to say that the cheaper range finders are a waste of money, as I know people that have them and they do the job. I've stood next to them and both rangefinders are giving the same distance. But there are times when they grab mine because their one will not give a good reading, I've never had to borrow their's though.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Well put. I had a relatively cheap one that worked perfectly well, sold it and bought the dearest one on the market, not because it would give me a different reading but has a lot more toys on it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What I have noticed between the cheaper ones and the expensive ones is the reliability in poor conditions, or when the flag is blending into the background.

The accuracy of the equipment is determined by the sharpness of the beam and how fast the detector can process the return. Put it into another way that may make more sense to you. Are you better to have a 1Gb off brand processor, or a 3.2Gb INTEL quad core processor in your PC? Both do the same job, but one is definitely going do the job better. The 3.2Gb one is also going to perform better when asked to work harder. So it goes to say that the rangefinder with the better components inside is going to perform better under pressure, basically when in poor conditions or when pickling up the flag is difficult.

Not trying to say that the cheaper range finders are a waste of money, as I know people that have them and they do the job. I've stood next to them and both rangefinders are giving the same distance. But there are times when they grab mine because their one will not give a good reading, I've never had to borrow their's though.
Decent analogy. That said I've never had any difficulty with my cheap Suaoki in locking onto the target, even on a windy day like today or in the rain and never had problems with the length of time it takes to give the reading. I may just be lucky but I'm happy with the quality, reliability and accuracy of my cheap model and feel it stands up against the other more expensive models. I am sure there may be benefits to having the more expensive ones but mine does the job

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
For me I'd ask whether you actually need one Vs want one? You say you only play social golf which would suggest you aren't practicing and playing regularly.....which would also suggest club selection a less than exact science because of that? It's all good who doesn't love them and they're great but if you're not sure how far you hit anything then I'd wonder if you really need laser tech... just saying 😄

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I don't think they're worth buying, personally. As long as your GPS is accurate then lasers are redundant. GPS will give you your yardage, and also not be completely useless if you're playing a blind shot over a hill or something. I use Hole 19 phone app for GPS, and I've never even considered that I might want to buy a laser rangefinder as well, would be pointless.
I have both. Laser is brilliant for accurate measurement to certain points (trees, shrubs and the pin) while I use the GPS for when I can’t see the pin and need a distance to the front/back/middle. This is because a laser can’t go through most of the clag I tend to end up in.

Loads of guys have both for this reason and they’re not that expensive these days either

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
I can't play without my Bushnell! I think it's a confidence thing. I have to know the number from 80 yards out and further. Everything inside 80 yards is a feel shot for me.

Id go as far as to say I would happily remove a club if I had to in order to keep the Bushnell in the bag!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use the GPS for when I can’t see the pin and need a distance to the front/back/middle. This is because a laser can’t go through most of the clag I tend to end up in.

Loads of guys have both for this reason and they’re not that expensive these days either
Not sure GPS can actually find you on the course sometimes. I'm sure it had you in Woking town centre last time you played West Hill