Brand Allegiance

Teeshot

Club Champion
combestone.com
Good Afternoon Forum- I know we all have our own favourite, for various reasons but I wondered how many of us buy a particular brand to "fit the set"?
In a former life I played for a Tennis club, and even back then virtually everything clothing wise was Nike and ALL my rackets had to be Wilson (although I drifted occasionally, but always came back...)
I seem to have started this way with golf, and in particular Taylormade.
I think, great advertising aside I started in buying a nice set of R7 irons and it sort of snowballed from there, with a TM putter, shortly followed by a TM Driver.
I now have a 3 & 5 wood and have all but replaced my starter set (which were just awful- you get what you pay for most times ;)) without really considering other brands.
I think I may have slipped up, but as I ;
A) Haven't paid a great deal for them
and
B) Arent't exactly at the pinnacle of my golfing life (God, hopefully!)
Can't really be that angry with myself.

It got me thinking when I bought a Titleist Vokey wedge and loved the feel of it, more so than my TM's.
When I first started looking I thought I'd be a Cobra man, but I think if I had to buy from scratch having gone into far more research on stuff I would-

Keep with TM woods.
Go for Titleist Irons.
And wedges.
And maybe Oddysey on a putter?

I know it's a very subjective thing, and I will always try gear out in future (although I have found it very limiting being left handed).

I also think it will be a long, long time before I need anything else, but when I do go up a level my game sure will have had to first.
I read with interest particularly the Titleist 909 driver debate on dcomp, D2, and D3 and look forward to the day where I am a good enough player to be able to use and get the most out of, say the D3. At my level, at the moment the Dcomp would have it, but that is for distance and forgiveness- working the ball? What's that!? :D :D :D

RichardSanderson

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to be a Callaway whore, but have strayed to Titleist Vokey wedges and 907 driver/906 fairways recently and kept Callaway X-Forged irons. I like the design work of Titleist as it's not too gimmicky like many brands out there (including Callaway). I think most people tend to take a shining to certain brands.

Working to ball is being able to shape your shot, i.e intentionally drawing/fading the ball etc...

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like you I bought a package set when I started and am now replacing.

Fella at work had a Burner driver, I tried that and then tested a few myself and went for a Burner.

Recently got a new putter, really liked the TM Spider but went with an open mind and tried a load out. Bought the Spider, and a Burner rescue club.

Birthday next month and I am getting a Burner 3 wood and would love the Burner plus irons, but that is a while away yet.

When it comes to changing irons I will try plenty out and buy what feels best. I hope it is the TM Burner PLus irons though!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never been a brand man, though some of the brand names ahve been with me a while simply because of the kit they make, but if some other kit came along that improved my game i wouldnt give a stuff if it was called 'Harrold Shipman' golf kit!

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was Ping for 12yrs with my Zing2's & G5, but then fancied changing, and now am Titleist thru & thru, with my AP2's, Vokey's, and hopefully, soon to add a 909 Driver.

Oh, and my Titleist Tour Trolley Bag too..... :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was also a Callaway man until I tried the tour burner and fell in love. I have to admit that as a personal preference I also prefer the TP wedges but that was probably more coincidence especially as I had already got the 52 and 56 degree wedges months before the irons. I actually got the irons off the peg from AG for a very good price including a trade in on top (and having hogged the launch monitor bay for nearly an hour insisting on hitting through the bag).

I wanted to change my driver and went to a TM demo day hoping to find a burner (Or Tour burner) but despite getting my swing checked on their monitor and finding a loft/shaft combo I just didn't feel comfortable with it. I already had the TM bag (Christmas present last year from HID) and GM provided me with the Spider putter. It wasn't a conscious decision to move away from Cally but having made the switch from X20 to R7 and then onto the Tour burner it seemed to just fall into place.

I'm hitting the TM clubs pretty well so have no plans to swap again soon although I am still looking for a neutral faced driver to replace my Cleveland Hi-Bore which is draw bias.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Until recently, I was a bit the opposite, preferring to try the lower cost brands and I found much to like from Orka, Benross and MD.

Recently the bag has gone a bit 'Taylormade'. The Burner Plus irons were coutesy of the GM review panel and the Fontana putter was a great Christmas present (really is that good and recommend anyone try the core classic range).

Not sure that my bag will ever become 100% Taylormade however as love my Adams 3 wood. May try a Burner hybrid in future though.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ping and Callaway have always done it for me. I've tried other brands but never got on with TM. Titleist and Mizuno didn't float my boat either always being shorter with them but when I come to change anything in future I will go right through the list just to be sure.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
Titleist irons and wedges i will probally never change it will be too a expensive mistake.

I dont have a preference with all the other clubs although i do tend to try Titleist first then move on

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
My golf gear consists of:
Mizuno mp600 driver
Callaway ERC titanium 3+
Nickent 5 wood
titleist ap2 irons
titleist vokey 56
md 58
Odessey two ball
callaway tour ix, titleist pro v or srixon zurs balls.
MD carry stand bag
footjoy shoes.
So Im not brand loyal unless I find it helps my game. The shoes alternaet between footjoy and Hitec of all people, I find they are usually a pretty good fit though dont last more than a year.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
all though my bag doesn't yet show it, I am currently biased towards Ping gear.

I have gone through a taylormade stage though (Bag, umbrella, towel etc still are), however have not been in the game long enough / had enough clubs from a large enough variety of manufacturers to really decide.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I kind of feel you should buy what suits, but have ended up all Titleist. Not yet bought the umbrella, but it is only a matter of time. I have the bag, hat, clubs, gloves, etc, already.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I kind of feel you should buy what suits, but have ended up all Titleist. Not yet bought the umbrella, but it is only a matter of time. I have the bag, hat, clubs, gloves, etc, already.

I have the brolley aswell, it was scandalously overpriced at £40 but I wanted it.

I am yet to get the gloves admittedly.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Winter mitts, they are all £15 ish, might as well get the titleist ones. Sad, sad, sad. I need help, I am a Titleist addict. I last bought Titleist 3 days ago, and am getting the shakes.