Laptop System Board Number Is Missing

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Please can anyone help? I've got a HP Laptop notebook that has somehow lost the system board number in the bios. I've looked everywhere on the net for help on this and for the first time the net cannot provide. The laptop is not running as well as it should be so I've convinced this is the cause. I did find one thing but that didn't work. So does anyone have the
Crazy, you have history of getting confused with the simplest of tech, what are you doing rummaging about in the bios , don’t change anything and get out now.
Where did you get this info about the system board number?
Crazy
Take it to someone who knows what they are doing ?
Take it to your doctor and get a repeat-able prescription! ;):rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But it boots from the HDD?

How is it booting from HDD if it’s bios is corrupt? What am I missing here..

May usual understanding is that it will process bios and then go to hdd or other device. The bios tells it which device to boot from or bypass ..

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dunno the technicalities of all this. But it does boot from the HDD and on booting up displays a message that the CT number is missing from the system board, press enter to continue, which I can do and it works, but a tad slower than normal. I can get to the bios, but apparently I need some hp tech to be able to enter a CT number in to to bit by the system board which currently says just HP. I also have a version of this hp tech stuff but need the laptop to boot from the usb stick it is held on. I have changed the boot order in the bios but the laptop refuses to boot in the saved order is usb first and just boots from the HDD. Can I get this to happen, can I nuts. I've tried a lot of hp forum suggestions none of which work. Surely hp cannot have tied this up in an unbreakable spell ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The whole thing is because the laptop is annoyingly slow, sometimes. Sometimes it behaves and fly's, usually early morning, but by mid day is hopeless.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The whole thing is because the laptop is annoyingly slow, sometimes. Sometimes it behaves and fly's, usually early morning, but by mid day is hopeless.
I know some people like that! :rolleyes:
Get it to a HP PC service centre before it completely 'dies'! Or, at least, get in touch with one.

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

This is not a result of the CT number issue. It does not affect resource allocation.

If the laptop is slow periodically then it’s a sign that periodically it’s working harder than others.

Stay on top of virus and malware scans (using a GOOD anti-virus, not just what was free) and ensure that disc management is kept in check, especially if it’s an older mechanical hard drive.

Run clean ups every now and again, remove cached files and any old files that are not needed.

Lastly, just remember that laptops are a mobility solution rather than a good solution to computing and as such, miniaturised components perform poorer than their desktop counterparts and are affected by things like heat/air flow restrictions more than desktops.

Technology becomes slower as it ages, partially due to the issues outlined above and partially due to lifespan issues caused by them.

Good technology hygiene is important, stay on top of it and your devices will last longer and perform better.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The symptoms of being fast at first then slows down after a bit of time likely means it's thermally throttling. Probably overheating due to a) they're crap and b) it's probably full of dust and c) see a.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

That is probably because how and what it is being used for rather than bios. Are you running too many things, not shutting them down, not enough memory or not enough space on the HDD for virtual paging etc. How much memory do u have. You might have to defrag your hdd (though these are almost automatic these days)... look out for bloatware... when the system goes slow, check your task manager to see what is eating your resources.