Laptop System Board Number Is Missing

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Please can anyone help? I've got a HP Laptop notebook that has somehow lost the system board number in the bios. I've looked everywhere on the net for help on this and for the first time the net cannot provide. The laptop is not running as well as it should be so I've convinced this is the cause. I did find one thing but that didn't work. So does anyone have the

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Crazy, you have history of getting confused with the simplest of tech, what are you doing rummaging about in the bios , don’t change anything and get out now.

Where did you get this info about the system board number?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Crazy, you have history of getting confused with the simplest of tech, what are you doing rummaging about in the bios , don’t change anything and get out now.

Where did you get this info about the system board number?

I’m thinking he is talking about the CT number. HPs (certain ones) have history of boot problems being caused by the CT number becoming mismatched (deleted basically) and the only fix seems to be to re-enter the number, usually found on or around the SO-DIMM slots.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I’m thinking he is talking about the CT number. HPs (certain ones) have history of boot problems being caused by the CT number becoming mismatched (deleted basically) and the only fix seems to be to re-enter the number, usually found on or around the SO-DIMM slots.

But to do that, he would need to strip down the laptop, he’s going to have a faux pas me thinks

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a message that comes up when the laptop is powered on. It, apparently can happen when a system board is changed, but I haven't done this. I'll post up the actual message in a bit

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a message that comes up when the laptop is powered on. It, apparently can happen when a system board is changed, but I haven't done this. I'll post up the actual message in a bit

So this sounds very much like the CT (Commodity Tracking) number issue. It's a problem with certain HP laptops (I have an Envy x360 and it had the problem about a year ago, although slightly different symptoms).

The process for recovering it is convoluted and you need technical proficiency as the back cover needs to come of and the memory modules usually need removed (as the number is often behind them). Then the process for recovering it in BIOS is also a pain in the cheeks. So unless you have that technical knowledge, as Fragster says, take it to a professional, but you can let them know what the problem is (this should prevent unnecessary work being done "fault finding" and should cost no more than 50 notes IMO) so that they can just get it sorted.

If I recall, there were pages of this on the HP help forums a few years back.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So this sounds very much like the CT (Commodity Tracking) number issue. It's a problem with certain HP laptops (I have an Envy x360 and it had the problem about a year ago, although slightly different symptoms).

The process for recovering it is convoluted and you need technical proficiency as the back cover needs to come of and the memory modules usually need removed (as the number is often behind them). Then the process for recovering it in BIOS is also a pain in the cheeks. So unless you have that technical knowledge, as Fragster says, take it to a professional, but you can let them know what the problem is (this should prevent unnecessary work being done "fault finding" and should cost no more than 50 notes IMO) so that they can just get it sorted.

Hp help lol

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

have never come across something like this before. how can somethign get deleted from the BIOS automatically without someone manually doing it. I can understand Registery being corrupted, but BIOS? Was there a BIOS firmware upgrade (incorrectly) done recently?

From the way you described the recovery proccess, it looks like a job that any plumber or brickie can do.. who need the helpdesk

XkU4Ajf.png

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
have never come across something like this before. how can somethign get deleted from the BIOS automatically without someone manually doing it. I can understand Registery being corrupted, but BIOS? Was there a BIOS firmware upgrade (incorrectly) done recently?

From the way you described the recovery proccess, it looks like a job that any plumber or brickie can do.. who need the helpdesk

XkU4Ajf.png

There's a few ways. It's rare but seems to affect HP more than any other brand. Can also be issues caused by CMOS batteries dying through to malicious code. It's not quite as susceptible as a registry but the BIOS is still open to corruption.

I'm not sure what you mean as the last part, I haven't stated any recovery process. Only that the back cover potentially needs removed to get at the CT number which is usually (on HP anyway) printed on or around the SO-DIMM slots. The recovery process then requires administrating within the BIOS. Like the Regedit function, editing a BIOS is not something I'd recommend a plumber or brickie to touch unless they know what they are doing.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've found a "CT" number on the battery, which is very poorly and possibly the reason for the problem in the first place as I removed it coz the laptop was stuggling to charge, you know a sort of switch it off and on again thing. Although the laptop says the system board Ct is missing maybe its the battery Ct number. Anyhoo, the number is missing in the bios it just says HP, so I just need to get into that. It's like fort Knox. No F10 or bash bash bash esc. I'm trying to ctreate a boot disk then get the thing to boot from it but that's proving very difficult. Even changing the boot order doesn't get the thing to boot from it. Oh well I'll plod on until I break the thing.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've found a "CT" number on the battery, which is very poorly and possibly the reason for the problem in the first place as I removed it coz the laptop was stuggling to charge, you know a sort of switch it off and on again thing. Although the laptop says the system board Ct is missing maybe its the battery Ct number. Anyhoo, the number is missing in the bios it just says HP, so I just need to get into that. It's like fort Knox. No F10 or bash bash bash esc. I'm trying to ctreate a boot disk then get the thing to boot from it but that's proving very difficult. Even changing the boot order doesn't get the thing to boot from it. Oh well I'll plod on until I break the thing.

A system with a corrupt BIOS won’t boot.