Ladies driver

JGolfer

Visit site
So bit of an odd one was on the driving range today with my partner and we tried each other’s drivers. 70g v 50g. Mine is about half an inch longer. Hers a cobra speedback mine a epic flash sun zero.

We where on a top tracer and I was carrying my driver around 245 average. Tried hers and was carrying it average 260.

Peak height was also about 35feet higher.

I bought my driver after going to AG and them telling me it was the best for me.

Anybody else every tried something like this? I’m attributing it to a much lighter club therefore more club speed. Getting a driver fit soon and think I’ll be taking both mine and hers to the fit.

JGolfer

Visit site
Yes, good quality women's clubs are awesome to hit!
It's a very valid question.

I think they'll tell us that the dispersion and lack of distance and control in any sort of headwind will negate the occasional extra distance, especially when we start to whack it as hard as possible.

I found the dispersion not overly different however the headwind I would agree with, i could not keep it low, it just wanted to go up up and up. But definitely some food for thought for myself (perhaps in terms of lighter)

D

Deleted member 1147

Did you swing easier because you thought the shaft was more flexible?
If so that probably made you hit it better.

D

Deleted member 16999

The Mizuno ST200X has a 39gram shaft, specially designed for those with a slower swing speed.

Crossfield, amongst others, did a review of it and were pleasantly surprised.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you can get a light shaft that offers up a bit of strength in key areas you would be good to go. I use an MPS shaft which is light around 55g in stiff. But there are lighter, they just are expensive. It will address the spin issues as well, I actually need more spin so it’s just a case of finding the right thing that matches the head.
I did try the Mizuno offerings, and they were light, I only tried them in the standard head so couldn’t comment about the x. The shafts probably got the closest to my set up at the time, but just were not better, so I didn’t bother.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shafts are not just about weight but also about where the shaft bends (the kick point) when you say her shaft put the ball higher it may simply be because her shaft has a lower kick point.

The other point I would make is there was a time when Cobra heads were reputed to have more loft on the head than that stated on them.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shafts are not just about weight but also about where the shaft bends (the kick point) when you say her shaft put the ball higher it may simply be because her shaft has a lower kick point.

The other point I would make is there was a time when Cobra heads were reputed to have more loft on the head than that stated on them.
I usually avoided cobra heads because I thought I was getting too much spin, that’s interesting what you say about the loft

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I heard that cobra heads sweet spot is slightly above the centre rather than the centre itself

Since switching to cobra I still strike just above the centre but the flight is much longer and straighter

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So bit of an odd one was on the driving range today with my partner and we tried each other’s drivers. 70g v 50g. Mine is about half an inch longer. Hers a cobra speedback mine a epic flash sun zero.

We where on a top tracer and I was carrying my driver around 245 average. Tried hers and was carrying it average 260.

Peak height was also about 35feet higher.

I bought my driver after going to AG and them telling me it was the best for me.

Anybody else every tried something like this? I’m attributing it to a much lighter club therefore more club speed. Getting a driver fit soon and think I’ll be taking both mine and hers to the fit.

I think I can see where your problem comes from.

The shorter length gives you a better chance of putting the sweet spot on the ball, the lighter shaft more clubhead speed and a better flight, but unless you are careful less control.

The sub zero is a low spin head, too low for many players. You sound like you may be benefitting from a bit more spin. 70g shaft is also a bit heavy for many. If you are on a range which has demo stuff, ask if you can try your current driver head with a 60g shaft in something with medium flight and spin, see what happens. You could also try it with +1 degree loft for a bit more launch.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably just the shaft suiting you better and you swinging within yourself.

Slowing down and easing up (ala Danny Maude) added loads to my driver, 40 yards as his video suggests.